Carolina Crown 2013

I was very impressed with what I heard at their camp today! I think I have a pretty good idea what their theme will be based on what I heard today. I don't wanna be "that guy" and leak anything they don't want to be released, but I will say that I'm pretty sure that a large population of people somewhere in the south will really enjoy their this year's preshow!

FREEBIRD :devil:

Edited by splat-a-drag-a-phonium
  • Like 4

One of my favorite Crown moments !!

And one of mine. When I say creativity and risk-taking are no longer rewarded in DCI, and people ask me to support my argument, I just point to 2009 Crown (and, now, 2012).

I heard that Nick Arcee (sp)? is now teaching with them. Is this true?

Sounds like they have really hired some great new percussion staff.

Yep. I think he's teching our tenors, of which we have 3/4 returning (one aged out). All this new staff is looking great for our battery!

And one of mine. When I say creativity and risk-taking are no longer rewarded in DCI, and people ask me to support my argument, I just point to 2009 Crown (and, now, 2012).

Hmmm....I'd say just on those two items the 2012 BD had the most risk-taking and creative show on the field, and they did get rewarded quite well.

Loved Crown's show, but it was more for the excellence of the performance and emotional charts as opposed to risk-taking.

• Like 2

Hmmm....I'd say just on those two items the 2012 BD had the most risk-taking and creative show on the field, and they did get rewarded quite well.

Loved Crown's show, but it was more for the excellence of the performance and emotional charts as opposed to risk-taking.

I hear what you're saying. I guess people use the word 'risk' in so many ways.

Choosing to play the Betrand Moren charts virtually as written could be considered a huge risk.

Choosing to pair that chart with their visual book (both drill and guard book) could be considered risk x 2.

BD risks more in the "unconventional" design department. (although I don't think their book is somehow easy by any means.).

The word "risk" is probably worth it's own thread.

FWIW (for me at least) risk is about creating a program with clear exposure of multiple simultaneous demand.. While being 'safe' might be smarter sometimes, I appreciate drum corps that makes my jaw drop. That doesn't mean just higher, louder, faster -- playing beautiful exposed brass lines with the corps covering the entire field is just as exciting. I guess it comes down to this: I like turning to the person next to me and saying "that was just freaking ridiculous".

• Like 2

Choosing to play the Betrand Moren charts virtually as written could be considered a huge risk.

Choosing to pair that chart with their visual book (both drill and guard book) could be considered risk x 2.

BD risks more in the "unconventional" design department. (although I don't think their book is somehow easy by any means.).

FWIW (for me at least) risk is about creating a program with clear exposure of multiple simultaneous demand.. While being 'safe' might be smarter sometimes, I appreciate drum corps that makes my jaw drop. That doesn't mean just higher, louder, faster -- playing beautiful exposed brass lines with the corps covering the entire field is just as exciting. I guess it comes down to this: I like turning to the person next to me and saying "that was just freaking ridiculous".

Good comments. I was thinking more of "out there" design as 'risk', but you are 100% correct as well.

This statement pretty much summarizes everything! :thumbup:

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 1

That's a good way to put it, and in my opinion, both corps did exactly that, in very different ways.

• Like 1