How would this actually work?

Assuming G-7 corps will only do things differently, when outside the limits of regular DCI competition, during their self-controlled events, I'm curious how both types of programming will co-exist. Are there two separate drills to be learned? The same show, but with woodwinds sprinkled over the field? Fifty more performers at G-7 events? From what I understand, the TOC shows were mostly segments of smaller ensembles doing their own thing, lots of narration of what's going on and what to look for, etc. I did NOT attend those special events, however.

Isn't there some common agreement here, a more appealing product is the desired goal of both factions? Or, maybe, this is something more nefarious.

Perhaps the G-7 groups can be given an opportunity to do their "creative" experiment at ALL DCI-sponsored events, IN EXHIBITION ONLY. Probably within the same time allotment, too.

• Like 1

Perhaps the G-7 groups can be given an opportunity to do their "creative" experiment at ALL DCI-sponsored events, IN EXHIBITION ONLY. Probably within the same time allotment, too.

DCI may refuse since their probably PO about this MIM stuff and they'd have to pay out more.

I think things like rule changes are why the G7 is presenting this as a choice between giving them control of DCI and splitting off entirely. I don't expect them to have different shows so long as they are running G7 shows as separate events on the DCI calendar. At most they would go with different judging rules, but it's not even clear that they're going to do that assuming the January meeting does not result in a total meltdown.

If the G7 does decide to split, I would expect to see lots of rule tweaks at that time, but they won't be trying to add woodwinds into their DCI-rules show. So long as they are in DCI, the need to place as high as possible is the top priority, and having to maintain a second version of their show would take away from that.

In the end, the real reason the G7 is making a play isn't rules, though, it's money. If they split off into a separate circuit they might get more money. If they control DCI, they can easily get more money. As it is, if they are going to run a few semi-DCI shows in a parallel organization, I think that's the most expensive for them, so I expect something to be resolved at the board meeting, and if not, for 2013 to be the only year with this bizarre setup.

From what I understand, the TOC shows were mostly segments of smaller ensembles doing their own thing, lots of narration of what's going on and what to look for, etc. I did NOT attend those special events, however.

The TOC shows were just like a regular DCI show except with extra things that all enhanced the experience for the fans. Small ensembles on the concourse such as a Carolina Crown brass small ensemble or Santa Clara's plate line doing their I&E performance and also some soloists doing their I&E performances. In 2011 each corps did an instant encore after their performance. This was cut for 2012 due to the time this added to the show and the need for the corps to be able to get on the road at a reasonable time. At the end of the show the corps did a full retreat complete with a mass brass performance. Even with all of these things added in the focus of the show was still the actual competition portion.

Edited by Beckham

The TOC shows were just like a regular DCI show except with extra things that all enhanced the experience for the fans.

That was the plan. In practice, the instant encores and between-act jibber jabber made it impossible to digest or discuss the shows with the folks I came with. Also the terrible facility had such poor access that the show started 30 minutes late, intermission was impossible to leave for, and with all the extra junk, the show ran about 90 minutes long.

• Like 3

Thanks, Beckham!

The mechanics of a, let's say "different" performing group continuing to perform in current DCI competition would seem to be a massive challenge and surely expensive.

Seems to me, a significant break from today's "normal" would require full attention. I am a firm believer in developing an even more marketable entertainment choice. That should always be the goal. How that's done to EVERYONE'S satisfaction confuses me.

So far, details of the new G-7 vision have not been made specific. Exactly what product changes are foreseen?

I had a question, I didn't think making a whole new thread was necessary; but how are the G7 going to market to the woodwind players that they'll eventually add in? I honestly have no clue how they can make that happen short of saying, "hey you know the [insert G7] corps that you've always known and loved? Well they're not quite a drum corps anymore, and now you're open to perform with them!"

I had a question, I didn't think making a whole new thread was necessary; but how are the G7 going to market to the woodwind players that they'll eventually add in? I honestly have no clue how they can make that happen short of saying, "hey you know the [insert G7] corps that you've always known and loved? Well they're not quite a drum corps anymore, and now you're open to perform with them!"

They wont... this would fail on a lot of levels. More players means more expenses for food and such, reeds, pads, ect, and things like clarinets cant handle the climate changes that corps go through. the changes in humidity and temperature would make them crack and break. its a logistical NIGHTMARE if you think about it... that and well, woodwinds were never made to march. not like this they werent. most of these instruments were made specifically for marching and thats why it works. no they are not bugles that were the "original" marching instruments, but they are evolved versions.

That was the plan. In practice, the instant encores and between-act jibber jabber made it impossible to digest or discuss the shows with the folks I came with. Also the terrible facility had such poor access that the show started 30 minutes late, intermission was impossible to leave for, and with all the extra junk, the show ran about 90 minutes long.

I'm guessing that you attended the Rockford show. That was poor planning on the part of the organizers as far as the stadium choice and logistics but they wanted to stick with tradition for the Show of Shows. The TOC show I attended was Nightbeat in Rock Hill, SC in 2011 and Charlotte, NC in 2012. Unfortunately the show was rained out after Blue Stars performed in 2011 which really sucked since the tickets were very, VERY expensive for an 8 corps show. So I didn't personally experience the extended length of the shows but I know I would have enjoyed the instant encores. In 2012 the show went off without a hitch and I loved every bit of it, including the considerably lower ticket price for great seats!

Exactly what product changes are foreseen?

This information is too sensitive to be released

I talked this G7 thing through with a business analysis last night, he brought up a lot of good points but overall, on their own, the G7 has a lot of challenges to overcome

If the split does happen, it will probably be the end of Jr corps as we know it, but something else will take it’s place