Corps Internships

I know DCI itself has internship opportunities, but do corps take on interns? If so, in what areas do they accept them? Could it be possible to intern for, say, the percussion staff? This is just for simple info-gathering right now; the earliest I would consider trying this would be 2015.

I know DCI itself has internship opportunities, but do corps take on interns? If so, in what areas do they accept them? Could it be possible to intern for, say, the percussion staff? This is just for simple info-gathering right now; the earliest I would consider trying this would be 2015.

Most corps have interns. Not usually for the staff (unless you want to be a "tech" which is a teaching position), but instead interns are usually administrative. Kind of "do it all" people that help wherever needed - including driving back and forth to airports, mail delivery, taking members to the Dr., taping flag poles, sewing uniforms etc. They typically work hard and long, but it's a great way to spend a summer! Most don't pay - but you get your food and transportation and wonderful housing:)

Edited by CACTSC
  • Like 1

Most corps have interns. Not usually for the staff (unless you want to be a "tech" which is a teaching position), but instead interns are usually administrative. Kind of "do it all" people that help wherever needed - including driving back and forth to airports, mail delivery, taking members to the Dr., taping flag poles, sewing uniforms etc. They typically work hard and long, but it's a great way to spend a summer! Most don't pay - but you get your food and transportation and wonderful housing:)

Thanks for the response. I asked about the staff because I would love to spend a summer shadowing a DCI percussion section and its staff. I won't have any DCI marching experience; this year would be my age-out. This summer will be my third with Atlanta CV and my second as front ensemble section leader. I soak in everything I can from our incredible staff. I already instruct and arrange for high school percussion sections, but I would love to one day teach at the corps level, so I'm trying to find a way to get some DCI experience, even if it's just observation.

Thanks for the response. I asked about the staff because I would love to spend a summer shadowing a DCI percussion section and its staff. I won't have any DCI marching experience; this year would be my age-out. This summer will be my third with Atlanta CV and my second as front ensemble section leader. I soak in everything I can from our incredible staff. I already instruct and arrange for high school percussion sections, but I would love to one day teach at the corps level, so I'm trying to find a way to get some DCI experience, even if it's just observation.

Well it wouldn't hurt to try. You can always ask the corps about it when applying for positions - that you'd like to observe the staff as much as you can.

Well it wouldn't hurt to try. You can always ask the corps about it when applying for positions - that you'd like to observe the staff as much as you can.

That seems simple enough. Thanks again!

most corps do have interns on the instructional staff. the difference is the interns don't get paid and are usually asked to do anything and everything from the rest of the staff.

also, a lot of corps interns are also alumni of the corps or have some sort of personal connection to the corps if they're not alumni.

talk to the staff at CV see if they know any staff members of DCI corps, they probably do, and go from there.

• Like 2

most corps do have interns on the instructional staff. the difference is the interns don't get paid and are usually asked to do anything and everything from the rest of the staff.

also, a lot of corps interns are also alumni of the corps or have some sort of personal connection to the corps if they're not alumni.

talk to the staff at CV see if they know any staff members of DCI corps, they probably do, and go from there.

I didn't really think about going through our staff. Our caption head is a DCI judge, and the rest of our staff has marched under Rennick, ScoJo, Brett Kuhn, Shane Gwaltney, and more. Thanks, brother! OASAASLLS!