Eric Perrilloux

A legend has passed. Eric died around noon today. He had been in hospice with Alzheimer's and suffered a heart attack last week.

His wake will be held on Wednesday, January 23 ONLY at:

C.C. VanEmburgh Funeral Home

306 E. Ridgewood Ave

Ridgewood, NJ 07540

The hours are 2-4 and 7-9PM. There will be a memorial service on Wednesday evening.

Funeral Mass and burial will be held on Thursday

Eric could be a tyrant during HIS rehearsals but was, in actuality, a very gentle man. He was a player, instructor, arranger, mentor and inspiration to many drummers over the years and not only in the northeast but where ever there was rudimental drumming to be heard. Over the years he played for or taught the Kirk F&D Corps in Brooklyn, The Skyliners, The Sons of Liberty, The Reilly Raiders, Selden Cadets, St Rocco's Cadets, St Rita's Brassmen and many more. He won many individual snare competitions and constantly traded victories with folks like Bob Redican and Earl Sturtze. Frank Arsenault was probably in the mix at times too. He wrote and published many individual solos, which can still be found today. He was also quite an amateur photographer and developed and printed his own work.

I am very proud to have been one of his drummers and will cherish all memories of him. He will be missed by many. May he rest in peace.

Ray

In sharing the pride of also being taught by Eric when with the St. Ritas Brassmen, today is an extremely sad day.

Edited by Fastone
  • Like 1

One of the early "musical" instructors who turned drumming into percussion ... the rhythmic pulsations he put behind Dreitzer's brass charts greatly enhanced the overall "sound" produced by corps like the Skyliners, St. Joe's Patron Cadets, St. Rocco's and St. Rita's to name a few ... at I&E shows, he was demanding of three major components for a solo: speed, power and execution ... after his tenure with the Skyliners, he redesigned the DCA drum sheets in 1971 introducing the Percussion Analysis caption ... he was a longtime proponent of giving credit to lines for "what" they played, not only "how" they played it ... I was fortunate to have known him and played for him with the Skyliners ... and I will always "play the parts the way the parts are written" ...

RIP Eric ... say hello to Earl for me ...

Andy

Edited by ajlisko
  • Like 2

Ray called him a legend, but he surpassed even that high praise. Eric was a creator of legends: legendary drumlines, players and instructors.

Every drummer in today's Washington parade owes him something, whether they realized it or not. From the Old Guard to the Crusaders to the Grambling Band to the school and community units, they gave him a most fitting send-off.

• Like 2

On behalf of the Selden Cadets Alumni both past and present, we want to offer our condolences and prayers to the Perrilloux family. Eric also taught Selden's drum line back in the day. He was legendary. May he rest in peace.

Irene Allan

Business Manager

Selden Cadets Alumni

• Like 1

I agree entirely!!! As a member of the Old Guard who marched yesterday, I remember on several occasions having additional mini lessons from Eric at various Drum corps events that Nick Attanasio used to bring me to as a child. His knowledge and presence will be missed and to quote my dear instructor Nick: "it was never our art form to keep, it is ours to give!"

Eric has shared this art form with countless students and spectators alike. I know George Rippinger, Bobby Thompson, Frank Arsenault, Bobby Redican, Les, Earl, Jay, and Duke are all putting their earthly bygones away from competitions long passed to accept him in to that big drumline in the sky... God Bless you Eric and thank you for the gifts you have shared with all of us!

• Like 1

i was a fan of eric. his drumlines were so great. and with the skyliners his lines were perfect for the big band style played RIP eric.

• Like 1

sad that another of the 'old guard' passes, but what he gave the activity will live long

• Like 1

i was a fan of eric. his drumlines were so great. and with the skyliners his lines were perfect for the big band style played RIP eric.

I would always marvel at the amount of "stuff" that Eric could write into a chart and make it understandable, fit, and was just, #### I wish I could just THINK like that. He was incredible.

RIP

• Like 1