Long Awaited Trivia

Carolina Crown played it in 1998 as part of their "Heroes...Then and Now" show.

And no...I didn't go to CorpsReps to figure that one out. I've got a Word file of all World Class finalist repertoires. If someone would like a copy, please drop me a line.

Yes, you got it... Carolina Crown is one of the 4 WC Finalist Corps to play it.

Do you want to provide the next trivia question to us ?

My favorite Ken Norman story was about the two corps he sold the same arrangement to the same year, back when corps from disparate regions rarely met unless they went to Nationals. Well, as it happened, both corps took a little road trip and ended up at the same contest. Has anyone else heard that story? It supposedly happened in the 1960s.

Mike, I worked with Norman on several corps and never heard that story. I doubt if it is true. However, that story is true if the name is changed to Lenny Piekarski and selling the same drill. It was in 1966 or 1967. Lenny gave the Cavaliers drill to the Salina Silver Sabres thinking that Salina wouldn't come to the Midwest, but they did and were in the same show as the Cavaliers and I believe it may have been Lenny's last year with the Cavies.

• Like 1

No new trivia question? Hell I'm bored and it's snowing like crazy here in Denver so here's one, a three parter. Who was issued the summons for disturbing the peace/noise pollution in Boulder during DCI in 1978? And how much was the fine and who paid the fine?

Here's one, in 1998 Madison played the theme from a Japanese cartoon called "Lupon" although the show is called Lupin. In 1997 another title was floating around for the opener in 1998, what was it? Here's a hint, Buddy Rich (and not Channel One Suite).

No new trivia question? Hell I'm bored and it's snowing like crazy here in Denver so here's one, a three parter. Who was issued the summons for disturbing the peace/noise pollution in Boulder during DCI in 1978? And how much was the fine and who paid the fine?

Doris Wentland is the person who, being local (and the co-organizer with Don Whitely for Drums Along the Rockies), went to court in 1978 on behalf of DCI when Blue Devils received the fine for decibel levels louder than allowed near the residential community. There was a well publicized photo of her leaning over to listen to the exhaust system of a Boulder noise control vehicle that was parked. The photo ran in Drum Corps World and was reprinted about 25 years later when I wrote an article about the happenings for Drum Corps World.

I could be fuzzy about the Blue Devils, as I might be mixing up the memory of being at their housing site in Boulder (I slept on the floor of their hallway that year in exchange for agreeing with Joan "Ma" Doebler to write a number of articles for their corps yearbook) and the sound level police showed up at the site. If that was for something else, my memory has the events crossed. It may not have been Blue Devils that got the ticket, but the police did show up for sound, perhaps to collaborate volume levels with the complaint, as BD was one of the corps staying in Boulder.

Edited by Michael Boo

Yes, you got it... Carolina Crown is one of the 4 WC Finalist Corps to play it.

Do you want to provide the next trivia question to us ?

Sorry about not seeing this. I was out most of the day. I'll give you five questions.

Who was DCI's first head judge?

What judge wrote DCI's first "Blue Book" of drum corps rules?

What did Star of Indiana not do in 1991 in winning the DCI title?

What corps that has attended the DCI World Championships started out as a drum and fife corps?

The title of this DCI-winning show consisted of a symbol that could not be pronounced.

Sorry about not seeing this. I was out most of the day. I'll give you five questions.

Who was DCI's first head judge?

Rick Maass

Doris Wentland is the person who, being local (and the co-organizer with Don Whitely for Drums Along the Rockies), went to court in 1978 on behalf of DCI when Blue Devils received the fine for decibel levels louder than allowed near the residential community. There was a well publicized photo of her leaning over to listen to the exhaust system of a Boulder noise control vehicle that was parked. The photo ran in Drum Corps World and was reprinted about 25 years later when I wrote an article about the happenings for Drum Corps World.

I could be fuzzy about the Blue Devils, as I might be mixing up the memory of being at their housing site in Boulder (I slept on the floor of their hallway that year in exchange for agreeing with Joan "Ma" Doebler to write a number of articles for their corps yearbook) and the sound level police showed up at the site. If that was for something else, my memory has the events crossed. It may not have been Blue Devils that got the ticket, but the police did show up for sound, perhaps to collaborate volume levels with the complaint, as BD was one of the corps staying in Boulder.

You are correct Michael, Doris Wentland was the person representing DCI at the time who recieved the summons. Perhaps I made the question a little too tough. The fine was $300 and in a ironic twist the Boulder Chamber of Commerce paid the fine for DCI. People thought drum corps would never return to Boulder after this fiasco, but Boulder HS hosted a show at Recht Field in 1982 and DATR was moved to Folsom Field in 1987.