Another Cadets2 ?

To comment only on one part of the original post, I hope that if a corps like this comes from Carolina Crown, that it comes as part of a partnership with Carolina Gold rather than a competing entity. Being a Gold alum, I would hate to see the [much] greater visibility of Crown cause problems for that organization. I see that as a potential issue with any such group, but the northeastern DCA corps are, in general, more established, and seem to draw a steadier membership base than the more thinly spread all-age groups in other areas. Now, if Crown and Gold (or any two existing DCI and DCA corps) were able to form a MUTUALLY BENEFICIAL partnership to create an organization that could better serve a wider variety of people, I would think it would be a wonderful thing.

• Like 5

I think that if we do see a DCI flavored DCA corps, it will come from the Midwest, possibly from the Cavaliers, or less likely but no less intriguing Phantom Regiment or Madison Scouts. The northern Illinois/southern Wisconsin area could be ripe for this sort of thing, without treading on the toes of anyone else in DCA.

I've heard some rumblings about a possible Cavaliers feeder corps, so it wouldn't surprise me if they followed the Cadets2 model.

I simply do not think it makes sense to take the All-age out of All-age corps.

a lot of it may have to do with the parent organizations charter. C2 is under the YEA banner...the Y stands for Youth. Having 35 year olds isn't really Youth. In fact you could say going to 25 is a stretch on Youth.

but the rules state they can set it as they choose. You have some corps that do not take under 18 without a parent. No one's complaining about that. The age issue is only an issue because it's C2 and YEA.

• Like 3

I was 23 and was already a band director when I marched C2. Turning 24 next month. It's strange when you start treading that fine line where you aren't quite youth anymore, especially when you march next to high schoolers, whom I must say are all very mature for their age. Drum Corps does that to you though. :)

Edited by MelloEvan

It's a shame that the Glassmen couldn't move to the DCA venue. I don't know all of the details there but perhaps they could have "kept going" as a DCA corps for this year and beyond...

a lot of it may have to do with the parent organizations charter. C2 is under the YEA banner...the Y stands for Youth. Having 35 year olds isn't really Youth. In fact you could say going to 25 is a stretch on Youth.

Wonder what their non-profit form has on it about "youth" in the Mission Statement. I'm in a non-DC group that lost it's non-profit status few years back and regained it not too long ago. In it's new Mission Statement is something about "education" and now they are donating money to a tech school each year. No one is saying why out loud but guessing it's to keep up the "education" part of the statement so they don't run into trouble again.

Wonder what their non-profit form has on it about "youth" in the Mission Statement. I'm in a non-DC group that lost it's non-profit status few years back and regained it not too long ago. In it's new Mission Statement is something about "education" and now they are donating money to a tech school each year. No one is saying why out loud but guessing it's to keep up the "education" part of the statement so they don't run into trouble again.

purpose, charters, mission statements, etc. can all be re-defined as time marches on,.........

purpose, charters, mission statements, etc. can all be re-defined as time marches on,.........

and if you know what you are doing.... and someone in the group doesn't have a hidden motive....

<pointing finger at the non-DC group as waiting for them to screw the pooch again>

Edited by JimF-LowBari

look, I'm not YEA fan, and I am pretty certain that's no secret, but why is their age cap an issue, when you have corps with age caps of their own, that generally go the other way? Why is there no gnashing of the teeth over those corps?