76 Crossmen/84 Les Eclipses DQs

OK, these two corps were brought up in the Muchachos thread and details were left hanging when the thread was closed. IIRC Crossmen were DQ'ed from a (late?) regular season show in KY/TN(?) and that kept them out of DCI Weekend (or was it rest of the season?).

Les Eclipses is new to me unless I've totally forgotten.... which is all too possible :blink:

Can anyone fill in any blanks and if I find anything I'll post....

In the name of DC history... thanks...

Edit: checked fromthepressbox - Les Eclipses 1984 looks like nothing happened DCI Week and 1976 Crossmen did Prelims but DQ'ed from Finals (only barred from Finals for early DQ???).

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Edit: checked fromthepressbox - Les Eclipses 1984 looks like nothing happened DCI Week and 1976 Crossmen did Prelims but DQ'ed from Finals (only barred from Finals for early DQ???).

Strange. We saw Crossmen take the field in exhibition at a show in West Chester on August 12, 1976, and we already knew they were performing in exhibition because they had been disqualified due to overage members. I remember them walking onto the field in a double file with their hands clasping together in the middle of each pair as they walked on. They seemed quite dignified despite knowing they wouldn't be able to compete at DCI shows the rest of the season. I don't remember if they were allowed in exhibition because they were at their local show.

I could tell the story.. but I'll try to find someone who knows it best.

The story is told every year. And the corps still walks off the field doing this.

Sevierville, TN.

Strange. We saw Crossmen take the field in exhibition at a show in West Chester on August 12, 1976, and we already knew they were performing in exhibition because they had been disqualified due to overage members. I remember them walking onto the field in a double file with their hands clasping together in the middle of each pair as they walked on. They seemed quite dignified despite knowing they wouldn't be able to compete at DCI shows the rest of the season. I don't remember if they were allowed in exhibition because they were at their local show.

Sevierville sounds right but that show is not in corpsreps or fromthepressbox (looking for a date). And looked at 1976 DCI Prelims at fromthepressbox and now notice that there is not a score for Crossmen at Prelims but a note that they did do Prelims.

Below is what corpsreps has for Crossmen for 1976 and notice that after World Open 4 of the shows are non-DCI and no idea for Williamstown. And no idea also if World Open wsa DCI run back then (after 8/12 West Chester).

Date Show Position Score

June 26 Minersville PA 1 76.300

July 5 Havre De Grace MD 1 70.600

July 10 Audubon NJ 2 77.750

August 14 World Open Lynn MA 7 73.850

August 22 Williamstown PA 1 79.450

August 27 United Org. of Eastern Corps - Prelims Elizabeth NJ UOEC 3 76.500

August 28 United Org. Of Eastern Corps - Finals Elizabeth NJ UOEC 3 80.650

September 3 Eastern States Championship Prelim Bristol PA Eastern States Circuit 1 79.950

September 4 Eastern States Championship Finals Bristol PA Eastern States Circuit 1 81.500

Edited by JimF-LowBari

The Crossmen were told after their Sevierville, TN contest in '76 that they were found to have over-age personnel, and would not be allowed in DCI contests.

They performed in exhibitions down south, and competed in the non-DCI events listed above (as well as others). Rumor has it that their performances in the south led to Spirit of Atlanta being formed later that fall.

The 1984 Eclipses were found to have over-age people after they placed 15th at DCI prelims. Unlike the '77 Bridgemen, their score wasn't stricken from the record books, and Les Eclipses wasn't really punished since it was the end of their DCI season. They came back better than ever in '85.

Thanks Brian, I've read about turmoil in the Quebec Jr corps circuit (FAMQ?) some years because of members jumping corps. But first I heard about a problem with a Quebec corps and DCI.

The 1984 Eclipses were found to have over-age people after they placed 15th at DCI prelims. Unlike the '77 Bridgemen, their score wasn't stricken from the record books, and Les Eclipses wasn't really punished since it was the end of their DCI season. They came back better than ever in '85.

The part about not being punished is not correct.

The reason for the confusion, as I understand it, is because this age rule violation was not discovered until several months after the season was over. Even the LPs had been pressed by that time with Les Eclipses included, so many people never became aware that the corps was stricken from their DCI placement and rendered a non-member corps. The 1985 corps had to book whatever tour shows they could get as a non-member corps, and thus often appeared first in the performance order.

The part about not being punished is not correct.

The punishment they received was imperceivable to drum corps followers compared to those DQs that happened in earlier years.

Since they weren't found out early enough, they were able to both compete at DCI, and appear on the DCI Championship albums in '84.

They may have had to book their schedule for '85, but DCI didn't ban them from competition. Eclipses appeared at 24 contests, including the major DCI regionals and championship.

Edited by Northern Thunder

Hi all,

The overage members in Les Eclipses were called out after their semi's performance at DCI. I'm hazy as to the details (I joined the corps in '85). They were disqualified from DCI, but for some reason still made the recordings (audio and video) - but the 15th place standing was stricken.

It was a well known "secret" in Quebec that once you aged out from your corps, you could just go to Les Eclipses. Which is why I never joined them. Once they got the disqualification though, my corps folded and we decided to give them a chance. It was rough at first. We had about 12 horns at rehearsal, most of a drum line and as always a full guard (which was always there strong point).

'85 was a really tough year. We had shows all over the United States and always had to appear first (meaning 8am at regionals). Alot of times we left right after pur performance in order to make it in time to the next show - sleeping for a couple of hours in the parking lot as we didn't have time to get back to the school for floor time.

The lack of show fees (as we weren't a DCI member anymore) meant we were lucky to get 2 meals a day sometimes!

But it really bonded us as a corps. We were determined to be a better corps than any other Eclipses corps - and build a fan base along the way!

To this day, it remains one of my favorite summers ever!!!!

Later,

Mike

• Like 1