Marching Arts Day?

March Forth is cute and all, but I'd prefer to have a Marching Arts day during a season when more arts are marching.

With the WGI indoor marching percussion and winter guard seasons underway, there are a few hundred marching arts ensembles doing their thing right now. Add baton twirling to the mix, plus the soon-to-be SoundSport and Drumline Battle participants around the world, and this might be THE premiere season for the most number of marching participants.

• Like 2

But, indoor does dance/ballet/kinetics rather than marching, no? Have you been to WGI or an indoor show this century? Otherwise, change it to Moving Arts Day!

Moving van art.

1423933932_a3427581b0.jpg

Marching Arts:

Your new challenge is to demonstrate what marching abstract art looks like.

Your new challenge is to demonstrate what marching abstract art looks like.

BD just did something like that last year... ph34r.gif

I say there should be a Marching Arts Day. As far as the date is concerned, I would suggest whatever date gives the entire activity the best publicity, whether it be DCI, DCA, WGI, marching band, drill team, Shriner's Clown Band, the Mummers, or our two new events: Soundsport and Drumline Battle. If it marches, it gets honored.

Now since this is a drum corps site, the only reason the President will sign the bill is due to the great job of Boston Crusaders in the Inaugural parade.

• 3 weeks later...

I find it interesting that with all the promotion from people that there's still only 7,800 signatures. DCI alone has over 185k likes on Facebook.

It seems as though there's people out there who have a strong opinion about this but aren't sharing it. Sure it'd be great to have more recognition, but I think we should start at the state levels first before trying to go to a national level. If one state gets involved heavily in the music and does some promoting of it on the national level then others will step in. Shoot, why doesn't Indy do some promotion on the National Level saying that they want to make March 4th "Marching Arts Day"

So while the idea behind this is great it seems as the execution isn't there, and it should be re-thought about where to start with this "March Forth Day".