is I&E no more?

The best thing is that any music educator worth their weight, knows that chamber music, and the study of chamber music is one of the most crucial ways to develop a musician.

There really aren't music educators in this activity anymore, are there?

• Like 1

The best thing is that any music educator worth their weight, knows that chamber music, and the study of chamber music is one of the most crucial ways to develop a musician.

There really aren't music educators in this activity anymore, are there?

I've always been sort of creeped out by the term chamber music, I guess because I somehow associate it with the term chamber pot from the same period.

To the point... not sure that chamber music or the study of chamber music (not sure exactly what you mean there?) is really all that better or worse than anything else. It is just one of those things you should spend some time doing if you want to be versatile.

I've never really understood the sort of self-proclaimed "legit" musician mentality of looking down on drum corps. No medium out there is really better or worse than another,

Anyway, of the ways to develop incredible young musicians, electroshock therapy would probably be the only rational explanation for this:

Sweet baby jesus in space, I hope never go to war against these people.

Let's face it... if North Korea ever decided to create a drum corps, it's over. They'd win more than Blue Devils (by a 30 point margin), eat worse than Magic (and think it was a feast) and gym floors would be 3 1/2 stars in Pyongyang. :-)

Edited by danielray
  • Like 2

Let's face it... if North Korea ever decided to create a drum corps, it's over. They'd win more than Blue Devils (by a 30 point margin), eat worse than Magic (and think it was a feast) and gym floors would be 3 1/2 stars in Pyongyang. :-)

What would the title of their show be......"For the Communist Good?"

I&E has become a logistical problem. considering that the involvement has halved, and attendance has also diminished. Using the huge civic center is a bit much. Also it is one thing if all of the corps are in somewhat close proximity to the stadium 30 mi. or less, it is easy to get individuals to and from in smaller vehicles. It is another when the trip to the civic center is 100 miles one way. never mind using the equipment tractor trailer for the pit if they compete... Of course that is why attendance is smaller , because of the extended distances..

I've always been sort of creeped out by the term chamber music, I guess because I somehow associate it with the term chamber pot from the same period.

To the point... not sure that chamber music or the study of chamber music (not sure exactly what you mean there?) is really all that better or worse than anything else. It is just one of those things you should spend some time doing if you want to be versatile.

I've never really understood the sort of self-proclaimed "legit" musician mentality of looking down on drum corps. No medium out there is really better or worse than another,

Anyway, of the ways to develop incredible young musicians, electroshock therapy would probably be the only rational explanation for this:

Chamber music holds the musician personally accountable for their own music and sound. It asks the musician to be able to be self-sufficient and not be able to rely on other people playing the same part to cover for them.

If someone is not using the appropriate phrasing, articulations, initiation of sounds, releases of sounds, dynamics, etc. it is blatantly obvious.

In ensemble playing these things can often be overlooked or not addressed.

Not that students can't learn these things in sections or large ensembles, but these techniques, plus the ability to be comfortable performing as a soloist are vital to a music students education.

I think it's a real shame, and honestly, it keeps the notion alive that many university music educators feel that the corps kids simply leave for the summer to learn 15-20 minutes worth of a program and do not walk away better musicians. Granted, in many cases they do, but this does not help the case.

Plus, it made it possible for members of corps to get experience beyond simply being a 3rd trumpet or a lower-split tuba player.

Sorry for the rant, I just think it's too vital of a part of the members experience and education.

• Like 1

They certainly would take the phrase "win or die" quite literally.

"WHAT??? You lost to the MADISON SCOUTS???? It's the gulag for you!!!" :tongue:

• Like 2