What Winning the Dream Sounds Like

This should bring back a few memories:

When you click this one, you get an echo, as its downloaded twice. Just click one of them off, then you'll get a clearer sound on this.

The St. Kevin's Emerald Knights from Boston ( Dorchester section ) were an icon Corps from the early 60's. Fantastic music, and sharp looking uniforms.

When you click this one, you get an echo, as its downloaded twice. Just click one of them off, then you'll get a clearer sound on this.

I didn't have that problem, and I hope its fine for you now. I find the sound to be pretty clear for such an old recording. You can hear Buzzy Bergdoll all over the place with that sweet French horn section.

The execution is on the mark and I particularly like that Stars and Stripes color pre. Not an easy chart.

Nice work by the entire corps. They definitely had the crowd in the palm of their hand that day.

1964 proved to be a strong year for St. Kevin's and many forget they were right behind SAC at the World Open that year in third place.

I didn't have that problem, and I hope its fine for you now. I find the sound to be pretty clear for such an old recording. You can hear Buzzy Bergdoll all over the place with that sweet French horn section.

The execution is on the mark and I particularly like that Stars and Stripes color pre. Not an easy chart.

Nice work by the entire corps. They definitely had the crowd in the palm of their hand that day.

1964 proved to be a strong year for St. Kevin's and many forget they were right behind SAC at the World Open that year in third place.

"St Kevin's Comback":

1964 began for SKEK in a shambles. There was a huge management problem with the corps as most of the instructors resigned prior to the seasons begining. This has been related elsewhere in these colums so I won't repeat it.

The corps battled back to the Dream Contest win, and great placements at the VFW and World Open Finals (I thought they had WON the Bridgeport WO). The day before the WO they placed second at the Worlds Fair show via a one point penalty, which gave the show to the Chicago Royal Airs.

There have been some great "Comebacks" over the years, and I would rank the 1964 St Kevins as one of the finest.

Great recording, great memories.

Thanks for posting.

Elphaba

Great recording, great memories.

Thanks for posting.

Elphaba

And thank you for adding to it.

You made me think back to the 64 Bridgeport W.O. and that Worlds Fair show. CR's has the WF show listed as a Friday and WO prelims Saturday, the next day. I performed at the WO, but to this day I swore the prelims and finals were the same day and that was Sunday, because we had a show in I believe Newark the night before the WO and St. Lucys arrived late for that one because of the WF show that afternoon. I don't recall the Newark show as being a Friday.

Anyone have the answer for this? And an answer for why SAC was absent for that WF show?

Edited by gsksun4

You made think back to the 64 Bridgeport W.O. and that Worlds Fair show. CR's has the WF show listed as a Friday and WO prelims Saturday, the next day. I performed at the WO, but to this day I swore the prelims and finals were the same day and that was Sunday, because we had a show in I believe Newark the night before the WO and St. Lucys arrived late for that one because of the WF show that afternoon. I don't recall the Newark show as being a Friday.

Anyone have the answer for this? And an answer for why SAC was absent for that WF show?

"1964 World Open":

The best my tired old mind can recollect: The SENIOR World Open Prelims and Finals were on the Saturday. SOME of the juniors were run off in their prelim AFTER the senior prelims were completed.

The remainder of the juniors prelim show and the junior FINALS contest was Sunday night. Most of the juniors competed Sunday, with Blessed Sacrament blasting past all the corps that had beaten them at VFW to win the prelim contest. It was easily THEIR best performance of the entire season.

One of THE great schockers of the day was St Josephs of Batavia not making the night show, after their great success at VFW Nationals, losing to several corps that they had hammered at Cleavland.

More great memories.....

Elphaba

You made think back to the 64 Bridgeport W.O. and that Worlds Fair show. CR's has the WF show listed as a Friday and WO prelims Saturday, the next day. I performed at the WO, but to this day I swore the prelims and finals were the same day and that was Sunday, because we had a show in I believe Newark the night before the WO and St. Lucys arrived late for that one because of the WF show that afternoon. I don't recall the Newark show as being a Friday.

Glenn ... the Friday night show in Newark was before the Dream in 1964 ... not the WO:

Saturday August 8, 1964

Newark NJ Dream Preview

Position Corps Score

1 St. Lucy's Cadets 85.720

2 Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights 85.220

3 Saint Kevin's Emerald Knights 83.580

4 Selden Golden Lancers 81.270

5 Garfield Cadets 79.830

6 Woodsiders 76.420

7 St. Brendans 70.050

8 Belles of St. Mary's (NJ) 63.060

The WF show was on a Friday ... the WO Senior on a Sat ... and the WO Juniors on a Sunday ... all the same weekend ... lots of corps were left off the "invited" list for the WF show ... can't remember who the "consultant" was that advised the WF on who to invite ... LOL ...

What a GREAT weekend for drum corps in the NY Metro area ... especially Bridgeport hosting the WO at fan-friendly Hedges Stadium ... where the stands were ever-so-close to the sideline ... 1964 ... several second-tier Jrs made their bones that year ...

:-)

I went to 3 of the 4 Contests being talked about. Deam Preview, Dream, and World Open as a Fan. I had some VERY sore Hands and Sore Throat from cheering that August in Metro NJ / NY and CT.

The whole Top 12 that year. Made every Corps have to be at their Best every time out on the field.

Glenn ... the Friday night show in Newark was before the Dream in 1964 ... not the WO:

Saturday August 8, 1964

Newark NJ Dream Preview

Position Corps Score

1 St. Lucy's Cadets 85.720

2 Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights 85.220

3 Saint Kevin's Emerald Knights 83.580

4 Selden Golden Lancers 81.270

5 Garfield Cadets 79.830

6 Woodsiders 76.420

7 St. Brendans 70.050

8 Belles of St. Mary's (NJ) 63.060

The WF show was on a Friday ... the WO Senior on a Sat ... and the WO Juniors on a Sunday ... all the same weekend.

Andy, thanks for the update.

I found the show I was trying to remember. It was in Clifton. St. Brendan's show and St. Lucy's showed up late (Had another show) and went on last. We stayed in an old hotel in Newark that night, before heading up to the WO. Par for the times, we wrecked havoc in the hotel and the owner told our director to get your Glee Club out of the building. The argument and arrangement lasted most of the night before we left very early in the morning to head north.

Here's the Saturday night show:

Saturday August 29, 1964

Clifton NJ Starlight Music Festival STADIUM: Passaic School Stadium

Position Corps Score

1 St. Lucy's Cadets 82.866

2 Selden Cadets 81.633

3 Muchachos 77.416

4 St. Patrick's Cadets 76.783

5 Woodsiders 75.216

6 Little Falls Cadets 69.050

Exhibition

0 St. Brendan's Cadets