Jersey Surf Tour Schedule

I just saw the Jersey Surf tour schedule (first tour rather local starting in late June, short break mid July, second tour out to TX ending at Finals in Indy). That touring model brings back so many good memories for me; and it also is a breath of fresh air here in 2013 concerning the skyrocketing costs of coast to coast to coast National touring all summer just to win a chunk of medal. IMO of course.

I'm just glad they got back to the "we don't care what you think, we're going to do a show about whatever the hell we want and let the scores fall as they will" mentality. Some of the classic surf shows were done that way and I think they are better off. I could care less about their broken tour as long as they keep entertaining me like last year.

The multi-blizzard winter, the devastation of Superstorm Sandy, and the constant rearrangement of the high school and college calendars as a result of these factors have sent the Mid-Atlantic and Northeastern closing date for this year later and later. Some districts will only end the school year at July fourth weekend to get the mandatory 180-190 school days or 16 weeks for a semester. I am amazed the Surf has been able to do as much as they have this winter. Many of their base communities are still in dire straits. Surf and others are not a corps restricted to college kids. Give them their props.

Many other reasons are determining the drum corps tour as well.

The Flatlanders, Midwesterners, and Southerners move their school years earlier and earlier to accommodate the ESPNs and NCAA wanting a longer, and thus earlier, football season, while the Mid-Atlantic and New England states have traditionally not started school until the day after Labor Day and ended the second week of June. California follows a similar school year. It's the soybean corps and those in the heat and humidity belt who insist drum corps season start before Memorial Day and end on July 31st, or so it seems. No wonder housing grows more difficult for corps to acquire. amongst many reasons.

• Like 1