Question to the old Star Fans

Just for my own personal interest, does anyone know what chorale this is?

Thanks guys.

You know, listening to this helped me to finally put my finger on why I like those G bugle lines from the 80s and 90s so much.

It's the rawness, I think. It's just a more visceral sound compared with the almost perfectly in tune, just-a-smidge-vanilla sound of drum corps hornlines today.

Seriously, what's wrong with just a little blood in the mouthpiece on finals night anyway? :bleah:

• Like 1

That was not our standard chorale but maybe something played in 1993. I didn't march 1993, but was around a lot, and can honestly say I do not ever remember hearing that but maybe I just can't remember 20 years ago and it also doesn't sounds like a Star line from a sound quality point.

I am interested to find out as well if my memory is just that bad. haha

Edited by SACMellos2010

You know, listening to this helped me to finally put my finger on why I like those G bugle lines from the 80s and 90s so much.

It's the rawness, I think. It's just a more visceral sound compared with the almost perfectly in tune, just-a-smidge-vanilla sound of drum corps hornlines today.

Seriously, what's wrong with just a little blood in the mouthpiece on finals night anyway? :bleah:/>

While I get what you're saying for the most part, I think the good of modern brass instruments/technique FAR outweigh the lack of 'rawness.' I kind of think for every incredible Star tape/video, Cadets, Scouts, whatever there were probably at least twice as many mediocre if not flat-out not good horn lines. It's easy to listen to an incredible brass line play on a G and reminisce about how awesome g bugles were, and forget that there were a LOT of boarderline crass, too edgy, and flat out out-of-tune brass lines on G bugles. I think now-a-days there are more consistently good horn lines than there were back-in-the-day, and I'll take consistent quality any-key brass now over the diamond-in-the-rough type of sounds in the 90's or earlier with G bugles.

• Like 6

Well it's not the chorale I was thinking of when I saw this was about Star.

I first thought of "O Sacred Head", which is among my favorite chorales. Simple but great.

You will recall that before Bill Cook moved him to Star as arranger, Jim Prime, Jr. was the arranger for the Cadets during the dynasty days of 4 champs in five years. He used "O Sacred Head" as a warm-up chorale for both (Garfield) Cadets and Star of Indiana. When he first introduced it, it seemed to blend well with the Bernstein's Mass pieces being done by Cadets those years.

While I get what you're saying for the most part, I think the good of modern brass instruments/technique FAR outweigh the lack of 'rawness.' I kind of think for every incredible Star tape/video, Cadets, Scouts, whatever there were probably at least twice as many mediocre if not flat-out not good horn lines. It's easy to listen to an incredible brass line play on a G and reminisce about how awesome g bugles were, and forget that there were a LOT of boarderline crass, too edgy, and flat out out-of-tune brass lines on G bugles. I think now-a-days there are more consistently good horn lines than there were back-in-the-day, and I'll take consistent quality any-key brass now over the diamond-in-the-rough type of sounds in the 90's or earlier with G bugles.

Let's have Crown 2012 play FFTCM (the "classic" version, when they stood still) on their usual Bbs, then have them put them down, pick up 3V Gs, warm them up, and play FFTCM again. I would think those MMs would have the talent to sound just as good on the Gs as they do on the Bbs.

Let's have Crown 2012 play FFTCM (the "classic" version, when they stood still) on their usual Bbs, then have them put them down, pick up 3V Gs, warm them up, and play FFTCM again. I would think those MMs would have the talent to sound just as good on the Gs as they do on the Bbs.

And it would only cost a few tens of thousands of dollars to pull that off.

• Like 1