You're a Grand Old Flag

Some old, some recent.

Speaker Warning, Argonne Brings Heat!

Enjoy:

Great stuff!!!! :thumbup:

That it is.

Still brings a chill to the old spine.

Maybe someone could put together a montage of Sky's Color Pre's from 64-76, featuring such Dreitzer greats as Victory at Sea, Columbia, Give My Regards To Broadway, The Longest Day, Broadway/France, Hymn To Victory ... and hints of other patriotic tunes scattered throughout ...

:-)

Maybe someone could put together a montage of Sky's Color Pre's from 64-76, featuring such Dreitzer greats as Victory at Sea, Columbia, Give My Regards To Broadway, The Longest Day, Broadway/France, Hymn To Victory ... and hints of other patriotic tunes scattered throughout ...

Ah, Columbia. One of my all time favorites. If ya didn't like that one, ya got buttons for ears.

Edited by gsksun4

That would be great. Skyliners were the "kings of the color presentation"... as far as I'm concerned.

The other all-time great color presentation from the DCA/all-age side would be, IMO, the Yankee Rebels' "Requiem for an Era" production. Actually, I think that tops my list of best color presentations ever!

Sky 63 Dream will always be my favorite, but 66 holds some of the most interesting songs they ever played and the exit of Oklahoma, the corps song is the perfect ending. Why Hy left out those 4 famous notes in the signature is a mystery.

Here's a recording of 66 with my favorite Sky color pre, Columbia and the great opener Charlie Welch. The recording quality is not the best, but the raw sound comes through. The announcement at the end, we'll leave alone.

I wish YT had the indoor recording from early 66 that has a much better sound, but not there yet.

Edited by gsksun4

There are some iconic flag presentations in my memory bank, but nothing cuts St. Kevin's barn-burning "Stars and Stripes" at the '64 Dream. We sat transfixed at the coda when that upper lead cat nailed the double C. It was the cherry on top and we all knew that a Jersey corps would not win this day.

Thank all the gods that this is preserved on the Fleetwood disc. I only wish there was some extant film as well.

My Xavier High School buddy (and lead sop in that corps as well as the Rough Riders)just looked at me and said, "Say 'goodnight', Gracie."

It was 3 in the afternoon, but SKEK had just put the contest to bed.

There are some iconic flag presentations in my memory bank, but nothing cuts St. Kevin's barn-burning "Stars and Stripes" at the '64 Dream. We sat transfixed at the coda when that upper lead cat nailed the double C. It was the cherry on top and we all knew that a Jersey corps would not win this day.

Thank all the gods that this is preserved on the Fleetwood disc. I only wish there was some extant film as well.

My Xavier High School buddy (and lead sop in that corps as well as the Rough Riders)just looked at me and said, "Say 'goodnight', Gracie."

It was 3 in the afternoon, but SKEK had just put the contest to bed.

Frank,

I always liked your take on "Battle Hymn" with Garfield in 71, after the Ives "Variations on America" concert number.

My personal favorite as a kid though, was Blessed Sac's "America, the Beautiful", that they played seemingly forever. I actually arranged a version of their chart for our HS band to use in parades a few years back. It still works! :tongue:/>

I know I saw SKEK in 64; it was my first year in corps. I was a runner at our home show; I was in the feeder corps to a decent Garden State Circuit corps, and we hosted an 'A' level contest. SKEK was there. I just don't recall much about the show, as I was only 10 at the time.

Edited by MikeD

Frank,

I always liked your take on "Battle Hymn" with Garfield in 71, after the Ives "Variations on America" concert number.

My personal favorite as a kid though, was Blessed Sac's "America, the Beautiful", that they played seemingly forever. I actually arranged a version of their chart for our HS band to use in parades a few years back. It still works! :tongue:/>/>

I know I saw SKEK in 64; it was my first year in corps. I was a runner at our home show; I was in the feeder corps to a decent Garden State Circuit corps, and we hosted an 'A' level contest. SKEK was there. I just don't recall much about the show, as I was only 10 at the time.

Mike,

At age 10, in the midst of all that, you were on "information overload".

Frank