Why do DMs Corps-Hop?

True.

But unlike the Crusaders, the Red Sox suck. :tongue:/>

tumblrmbrauuimfs1rno750.gif

Joe was hit in the head by a baseball when he was young, so its not his fault he is the way he is. ( lol! )

( opps.. I just committed a venial sin of DCP politics that is verboten ).

Mea Culpa.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

But Joe is a good example of a corps hopper: from Scranton, PA to Delaware!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I have to correct something I previously stated in the original post when I said both Cadets' majors last winter resigned from the activity.

One of them is now on the faculty of an up-and-coming West Coast drum corps.

All the best to him and his new students.

I have to correct something I previously stated in the original post when I said both Cadets' majors last winter resigned from the activity.

One of them is now on the faculty of an up-and-coming West Coast drum corps.

For this trangression, say 2 Hail Mary's, 1 Our Father, and a Good Act of Contrition. Go forth and DCP sin no more, my Son. You have blessing and forgiveness.

Edited by BRASSO

Oh my head.

Drum corps is different now than it was when you marched and when I marched. It isn't "better" or "worse." It is different.

Members change corps for many, many reasons.

Drum majors resign. It's a tough and usually crummy gig that seems great from the outside. If I hadn't aged out, I don't think I would have gone back for another year of my then-current position. It is brutal and is not particularly fun for a 20 year old kid.

• Like 2

It's a tough and usually crummy gig that seems great from the outside. ... It is brutal and is not particularly fun for a 20 year old kid.

Care to elaborate further ?

This is for enlightenment, particularly as some other posters, coincidentally all alumni of one far western corps, have posited that the position is not different from others, let's say the cymbal player, regarding off podium responsibilities. I hold the stance that the podium prince/princess has a different realm of responsibilities depending upon the units. For some they are merely human metronomes. For others they are akin to assistant tour directors, corps directors, bankers, bottlewashers, and cheerleaders. What made the job tough in your perception. What makes it tough for the candidates today? You need only be as personal or generic as you wish, of course.

This is for enlightenment, particularly as some other posters, coincidentally all alumni of one far western corps, have posited that the position is not different from others, let's say the cymbal player, regarding off podium responsibilities. I hold the stance that the podium prince/princess has a different realm of responsibilities depending upon the units. For some they are merely human metronomes. For others they are akin to assistant tour directors, corps directors, bankers, bottlewashers, and cheerleaders. What made the job tough in your perception. What makes it tough for the candidates today? You need only be as personal or generic as you wish, of course.

Basically, in many groups you pay money to be put in a situation where for 90 consecutive days, there isn't anything that isn't your problem/fault. It gets old.

• Like 2

[/i]

What made the job tough in your perception. What makes it tough for the candidates today? You need only be as personal or generic as you wish, of course.

Off the field responsibilities aside (as we've established that varies greatly between corps), there is no more high-pressure position on the field than drum major/conductor.

Drum majors cannot make mistakes, and in the event that they do, they *must* know how to react and recover immediately. In today's incredibly refined, tempo accurate drum corps, a drum major erring by just one or two beats per minute can completely destroy his corps' performance. He has to have telepathic-like communications skills with the percussion section. When things do go off the rails, even if it's not his fault, he has to understand how to repair the show on the fly. This is a skill that is incredibly difficult to learn, let alone master. Drum majors cannot have a "bad day" in rehearsal. If they do, they sure has heck better not show it, or the instructional staff will eat him for lunch (and rightly so).

Being the drum major of a competitive drum corps is, despite the public face, easily the most thankless and tiring job there is as a performer in this activity. It's also incredibly rewarding, as long as you're not the guy screwing up.

• Like 2