DM Intros?

Hello all,

I thought it might be a fun side note to the season to have a thread where the arm flappers of DCA could introduce themselves to the rest of us so we weren't complete strangers when we run into each other this summer. If you would like to make yourselves known, by all means, add yourself to the list. I will get the ball rolling by introducing the "red jackets" of Atlanta CV for the 2013 season.

My name is Dan Detweiler and this will be my second year in the drum corps as well as my second year as DM. I am back in the activity after about a 28 year layoff due to my son's interest in marching. (He plays contra in the corps.) We are sharing the experience and having a blast! My previous junior circuit experience includes two years marching with the Blue Devils and three years teaching Spirit of Atlanta, although both those experiences seem like a lifetime ago, (hell, they WERE a lifetime ago!).

My partner in crime is Mr. Marvin Fontaine. Anyone who has known the corps over the years is sure to know Marvin. He is a charter member of the corps and has served in one capacity of another for every one of the corps's 16 years including, I believe, 13 as drum major. Asside from being the "sexiest man on earth", as he is affectionately know in CV circles, he is a wonderful partner and mentor to me as well as everyone associated with the corps. He doesn't know I am posting this so he will probably kill me at the next camp!

So...that's who will be flapping their arms in front of Atlanta CV this summer...what about the rest of the DCA family?

Dan

Edited by Dan Detweiler
  • Like 1

Hey everyone,

My name is Chris Fontanelle. I am one of the Drum Majors For The Hawthorne Caballeros.

This will be my 6 th Year as Assistant Drum Major with the corps and my 11th Years total with the Corps, (Holy Crap and I came in 02 just for one year) I Too came back after a Twenty Year Break. I marched with a Small Corps Out of Little Falls New Jersey called Fantasia III (in Canada known as Fantasia eye eye eye) where I played Soprano. I am proud to say that in 1981 we came in Second in Class A with a very small Corps and was part of Dennis Delucia's High percussion "Triple Crown" (Bridgemen DCI open , Fantasia III DCI Class A , Sunrisers DCA)

Being in drum corps in New Jersey you knew about the Hawthorne Caballeros, Actually just being in New Jersey you knew About them. Never did I think that I would be A Caballeros. Well thanks to a friend I came back in 2002 and like I said above I have been here ever since. Came back on Baritone and lucky enough to be flapping my arms and still having fun.

I will Let my Partner in Crime Head Drum Major Glenn Stevens post for himself. Not sure of his years in Drum corps , just that we were Partners in Crime in the Baritone line and now Partners in Crime on the front line. (if you think that was corny ask him to tell the Tuba Joke!) He is a great guy to do this with.

P.S. I am the one with the Tan.

Didn't have to be from New Jersey to know the Cabs growing up. I grew up in western New York and we knew all about them! Thanks for posting. Look forward to seeing you guys in Annapolis. (Wish it would be earlier but it looks like it won't be till finals)

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

My name is Ryan Anderson and I am the 2013 head drum major for the Tampa Bay Thunder.

This is going to be my second season with the corps and my second season marching drum corps overall. I was a member of the drumline last summer playing quads. I'm guessing that I'm probably going to be one of the youngest drum majors in DCA this season as I'm only 18. I originally joined Thunder so I can gain experience to march with the Boston Crusaders. I age-out in 2016 so I still plan to audition there again one day but for now I'm enjoying the great family I have at Thunder and I can't wait to see what this season is going to bring. At the end of the season I will be participating in a brass ensemble for DCA I&E (I play baritone) and I will also be doing a quad solo.

2013 is looking like a great season for Thunder and I can't wait for summer to get here.

- Ryan

Hey everyone,

My name is Chris Fontanelle. I am one of the Drum Majors For The Hawthorne Caballeros.

This will be my 6 th Year as Assistant Drum Major with the corps and my 11th Years total with the Corps, (Holy Crap and I came in 02 just for one year) I Too came back after a Twenty Year Break. I marched with a Small Corps Out of Little Falls New Jersey called Fantasia III (in Canada known as Fantasia eye eye eye) where I played Soprano. I am proud to say that in 1981 we came in Second in Class A with a very small Corps and was part of Dennis Delucia's High percussion "Triple Crown" (Bridgemen DCI open , Fantasia III DCI Class A , Sunrisers DCA)

Hi Chris!!

Apologies for going OT on the thread... (I'm an "ex DM", retired...)

Just wanted to say hi as I was with the Sunrisers and I also enjoyed being a part of Dennis Delucia's "1981 Percussion Triple Crown"!

Yours in Corps,

Tony ;-)

Hello all,

I thought it might be a fun side note to the season to have a thread where the arm flappers of DCA could introduce themselves to the rest of us....

So...even though I haven't marched since 2006...you and I have TWO things in common.

We're both BD alums

We're both DMs!

But I think only I could make Fran Haring laugh while announcing our corps' name for competition after my salute in 04!

*Ahhhh....the mirrored flip-shades. The laughter I got was all the justification I needed*

You all have seen me around posting news for Shenandoah Sound, but now I have a new title! I'll be one of our DMs for 2013. This is my 6th year with the corps and my first on the podium. I rooked-out with Pioneer in 2006 and I used to conduct my college band.

Hey everyone,

My name is Ryan Anderson and I am the 2013 head drum major for the Tampa Bay Thunder.

This is going to be my second season with the corps and my second season marching drum corps overall. I was a member of the drumline last summer playing quads. I'm guessing that I'm probably going to be one of the youngest drum majors in DCA this season as I'm only 18. I originally joined Thunder so I can gain experience to march with the Boston Crusaders. I age-out in 2016 so I still plan to audition there again one day but for now I'm enjoying the great family I have at Thunder and I can't wait to see what this season is going to bring. At the end of the season I will be participating in a brass ensemble for DCA I&E (I play baritone) and I will also be doing a quad solo.

2013 is looking like a great season for Thunder and I can't wait for summer to get here.

- Ryan

You all have seen me around posting news for Shenandoah Sound, but now I have a new title! I'll be one of our DMs for 2013. This is my 6th year with the corps and my first on the podium. I rooked-out with Pioneer in 2006 and I used to conduct my college band.

Hi Anthony!

Please come find me and Marvin and say hi when you're down to our show this summer. Very much enjoyed Shenandoah last year and am looking forward to seeing you guys again this summer. Our show will be at a brand new facility this year. I think everyonw will love the change. Astroturf field, no huge hill to haul equipment up and down, clean new school, no gross showers. It's all good!

Dan

So...even though I haven't marched since 2006...you and I have TWO things in common.

We're both BD alums

We're both DMs!

But I think only I could make Fran Haring laugh while announcing our corps' name for competition after my salute in 04!

*Ahhhh....the mirrored flip-shades. The laughter I got was all the justification I needed*

Hey Sam, still waiting for you to get your butt down here and march so I am not the only recipient of all the BD jokes!

Dan

Hey everyone,

- Ryan

Look forward to meeting you Ryan! We'll have to get all the DM's together and get pictures to post here when you are all up for our show. Loved your show last year and from what I can tell, I am going to love this year even more.

Dan