Missing Corps

That shelf life will show itself as well. There will come a time when the 90's and 2000's are old time drum corps based on the audience's age.

it's showing it's shelf life.

it's showing it's shelf life.

I haven't seen anyone this year. Last year I really enjoyed Cabs Alumni as they mixed in some different, more recent things. I would love to see Star do a field show. They turned mini-corps on its ear and could do that for the alumni movement as well IMO.

I haven't seen anyone this year. Last year I really enjoyed Cabs Alumni as they mixed in some different, more recent things. I would love to see Star do a field show. They turned mini-corps on its ear and could do that for the alumni movement as well IMO.

98% of all alumni corps out there no longer compete. As you get further and further away from the day they did compete, you will find more members drifting away, or sadly, pass away. Most corps let in people who never marched, but when I look at some of the corps that got the movement rolling...they are a shell of what they were, or already inactive

• Like 1

98% of all alumni corps out there no longer compete. As you get further and further away from the day they did compete, you will find more members drifting away, or sadly, pass away. Most corps let in people who never marched, but when I look at some of the corps that got the movement rolling...they are a shell of what they were, or already inactive

You are correct sir!

You are correct sir!

I know, but saying it gets me labeled an ########. I do like the red marks tho

:devil:/>

As much as I wanted this thread to be about memories of corps long gone, as is the case with any thread on DCP or other electronic social media sites...people take the original meaning and change it to what they want. heck I probably do the same thing.

Problem is......before RAMD and DCP many of us would have never "met." Today we chat and agree or disagree about the dumbest things...THINGS we can't chamge or will never have a say in LOL.

I just changed my own thread LOL

Star of Indiana Alumni Corps:

I have also seen the Star's "Reunion" shows on YouTube. They are truly spectacular. The mix of props, the overhead "Jumbotron" segments and the performance of that HUGE corps unit itself are incredible.

I very much doubt that the introduction of a "Spectaular" such as theirs would help the Alumni activity at all. Most of the Alumni corps are operating on a shoestring budget, with, as it has been noted a membership base that is rapidly aging and declining in numbers. They, in the main could not even to BEGIN to afford a production such as Satr has presented in the past.

"If" the Indiana Alumni did enter the Alumni arena, they would (Hopefully) limit themselves to "Marching and Playing" as the Santa Clara, Madison Scouts and Kingsmen Alumni?Reunion corps has done.

We also enjoyed the efforts of The Hawthorne "Seniors" the past several years.

Just an observation from a rapidly aging DC alum of the 1950's and 60's.....

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

Can I ask why you say hopefully limit themselves to "Marching and Playing"?

Can I ask why you say hopefully limit themselves to "Marching and Playing"?

"Marching & Playing":

Sure. "Marching & Playing" is pretty much what the Alumni corps "Do". They can't even begin to afford all the stagecraft that Star has fielded. If they DID attempt to go in that direction it would break their banks. We could be back to that olde saw: "The best drum corps money could buy".

The other Alumni corps are also at a great disadvantage in the "Age" factor as the Indiana's corps membership is much younger than they.

Santa Clar's, Madison Scouts, 27th Lancers, and Kingsmen's 'Reunion' drum corps were a GAS just "Marching & Playing". Star of Indiana would no doubt be just as great.

Elphaba

But that is the thing, to get younger alumni corps out there, and get younger members involved in alumni corps. Because without that, the alumni corps are going to die off, most likely sooner than the competitive corps. Look at Reilly working very hard to get younger blood into the corps, by changing up their tunes and arrangements. :thumbup: Bridgemen are getting an influx of younger members and playing (from what their show lists) a good amount of '80's tunes, :thumbup:

If you have alumni corps out there playing 80's and 90's stuff, the younger people will come and that part of the activity won't die. Will the older crowd appreciate it? I would hope so, because if not, they are showing how selfish they are by only wanting to keep that portion of the activity for themselves.