I & E is back.

I seem to recall reading the final I&E competition scores a few years back. What struck me then was how few competitors there were in so many categories. Just two or three in many cases. It hardly seemed like a competition at all in those cases.

Exactly. I'm not a fan of I&E, but I don't have anything against it, either. FWIW my corps did encourage members to participate in I&E, and while I never did my corps mates were often successful. I'm not going to say that "corps is more important than individual," or "members should have the right to compete in I&E if they want." Those policies are up to the corps, and I have zero problems with either side of the philosophy. However, if it is unsupported by members and organizations, then perhaps it isn't a horrible thing that I&E kind of dies off.

• Like 1

Briefly, reacting to the previous poster who called I&E a #### measuring contest:

Corps spend an incredible amount of time working 11 minutes of music and movement. Many of the members spend their free-time working their skills to perfect their parts. Others hang out and build life-long relationships - both great things. There are some though, that need that outlet to perfect their skills beyond the parameters of the written show. I always think of Pete (never remember last names) from '84 Bridgemen, who would don his uniform and work his snare solo in his free time. He scored (if I remember correctly - you can look it up) 99.9 at I&E.

As talented individuals - some truly virtuosos - some of whom don't do relationship time the way we mere mortals do. Is it for the best? Who knows? But for those of you who know (some of) the true virtuosos, they frequently have different takes on interpersonal relationships - a lot of their relationship energy goes into their instrument. It's a team activity - granted - and we love it for that - but in many cases those teams are made better by the incredible players who join - I won't bore anyone by listing those players. If these talented folks want just 1 day per season to show a bit of what they bring to the team, I think it's pretty small of us to call it a #### measuring contest, unless that's your only talent.

I'm for I&E. I respect a corps' right to limit it, or to deny members the opportunity to participate. That makes the sacrifice (for some people it IS a sacrifice) a conscious one that they make for their corps. But I think to belittle the I&E activity is in some way to belittle the participants, and I think that's way off-base.

Now if you want to discuss entries that simply don't merit being there - an ensemble thrown together with little or no preparation or something like that, I think you have grist for another (maybe a long) thread.

I could tell the story from the early 90s [wow - huge error here - I meant early '60s not '90s - only off by 30 years - I've never seen a modern kid playing drunk in I&E - sorry for the typo] of a baritone player (incredibly talented kid) who performed so drunk that he fell off the stage during his solo. No it was not me. I was still about 14 at the time. But I saw it!

Just my 3 cents (inflation counted).

Edited by rayfallon
  • Like 1

I could tell the story from the early 90s of a baritone player (incredibly talented kid) who performed so drunk that he fell off the stage during his solo.

Did he win ? The reason I ask is because we've been told in the past that DCI on field judging has been known to give style points for a good recovery on falling down and getting up with aplomb.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I always think of Pete (never remember last names) from '84 Bridgemen, who would don his uniform and work his snare solo in his free time. He scored (if I remember correctly - you can look it up) 99.9 at I&E.

Castellano. Here is a video of him practicing his '84 solo.

Just Wow. He was incredible!

• Like 1

I especially like the fact that they have added other instruments too like woodwinds and electronics. There might be some player who is buried deep in their section but is exceptional on say, oboe or sax. This is a chance for them to showcase their talents to the world. Not only that but if they place or even won, imagine how good that looks on a college application.

I really love the ensemble stuff too!

Thank you! One of the most intense young people I've ever run into in the activity - honest to God - after a 6 hour bus ride - into the uniform, on with the drum out to practice the piece.

Worth watching just to see something perfect once in your life.

Did he win ? The reason I ask is because we've been told in the past that DCI on field judging has been known to give style points for a good recovery on falling down and getting up with aplomb.

It was an I&E show at 10pm in a gymnasium in Brooklyn (or Staten Island - hey! I was 14 - I can't remember almost 50 years later).

He didn't get back up with aplomb. Or at all that night. Went on to be one of the great players of our time.

A good friend of mine helped both Pete and Pat Petrillo on their snare solo's as well as guys like Terry Shalberg and Scott Johnson.