I & E is back.

A good friend of mine helped both Pete and Pat Petrillo on their snare solo's as well as guys like Terry Shalberg and Scott Johnson.

I guess my only brush with that kind of greatness is driving Pat to the hospital on the Illinois/Indiana state line (the hospital was in both states) when his appendix came out in '84.

Ask him about that ride, in a Souvie van with no suspension, chasing an Illinois State Cop who was doing 90. Wish there was a tape.

Never helped either of those guys with their drumming though - just looked on in awe most of the time.

I especially like the fact that they have added other instruments too like woodwinds and electronics. There might be some player who is buried deep in their section but is exceptional on say, oboe or sax. This is a chance for them to showcase their talents to the world. Not only that but if they place or even won, imagine how good that looks on a college application.

I really love the ensemble stuff too!

I think the woodwinds have been allowed for a few years now. For some reason I seem to remember seeing results from previous years listing people winning for voice, guitar, woodwind, etc. The difference this year is in some of the rules and categories. I recall posting on another thread that this may have been part of the problem with I and E. When I and E first originated, it was the only venue for Key of G Bugles since they were not used in school programs. Band programs often had percussion competitions as well as competitions for brass and woodwind instruments on at least a state level. WGI had opportunities for color guard. I and E became a showcase as excellence for music rather than a forum for excellence of instruments used in drum corps and excellence in guard performance as it applies to drum corps. For me, focus is important and DCI's function is to promote drum corps. I'm not certain that an I and E contest that highlights all kinds of other talents of members, as outstanding as I'm sure they are, serves that purpose. Also not having the contest at finals made it an afterthought.

Now that the I and E is back in finals, I am having different thoughts about it. Since DCI coincides with Celebrate Arts in Indy, the I and E along with the parade can add a greatdeal to the event. It could also be great publicity for DCI. I'm assuming that the event will be open to the public, meaning free of charge, and that could be great exposure. However, the success depends on attendance, and right now I'm 75% sure I will be going to Indy this summer, and if I do I may find myself in Indy a bit earlier on Wednesday to attend I and E.

One of the greatest ever: Rob Carson

Edited by InspaDave

I think the woodwinds have been allowed for a few years now. For some reason I seem to remember seeing results from previous years listing people winning for voice, guitar, woodwind, etc. The difference this year is in some of the rules and categories. I recall posting on another thread that this may have been part of the problem with I and E. When I and E first originated, it was the only venue for Key of G Bugles since they were not used in school programs. Band programs often had percussion competitions as well as competitions for brass and woodwind instruments on at least a state level. WGI had opportunities for color guard. I and E became a showcase as excellence for music rather than a forum for excellence of instruments used in drum corps and excellence in guard performance as it applies to drum corps. For me, focus is important and DCI's function is to promote drum corps. I'm not certain that an I and E contest that highlights all kinds of other talents of members, as outstanding as I'm sure they are, serves that purpose. Also not having the contest at finals made it an afterthought.

Now that the I and E is back in finals, I am having different thoughts about it. Since DCI coincides with Celebrate Arts in Indy, the I and E along with the parade can add a greatdeal to the event. It could also be great publicity for DCI. I'm assuming that the event will be open to the public, meaning free of charge, and that could be great exposure. However, the success depends on attendance, and right now I'm 75% sure I will be going to Indy this summer, and if I do I may find myself in Indy a bit earlier on Wednesday to attend I and E.

I've been defending I&E but I generally agree with your first statement - it could be the dinosaur or the DC purist in me but I don't see the value of sax, woodwind, voice I&E (although my daughter has competed in voice). My point about Pete and others was that their practice for their solo actually enhanced the corps' competitiveness - they continued to improve in a way that "rehearsing" the show would not have done for them - most of the improvement was occurring in the less talented players and marchers (yeah, I know that's a generality you can argue - I'll believe it anyway). Practicing your sax on tour is not helping the corps, in my opinion. I&E in a team activity makes sense when the individual effort improves the team. In my opinion, one of your baritones getting better on his tenor sax does not improve the team. If that viewpoint reveals me as a stoneage throwback there's no news bulletin there, but I've put in my time for my opinions. Probably drive my daughter nuts when I say that drum corps doesn't require singing either, but she knows I'm a stoneage throwback.

I'm surprised this hasn't been done yet. There is a KILLER wind ensemble version (called Stubernic Fantasy), written by Ford, who premiered it in Chicago last December that blew me away! It takes the best of Stubernic & Afta Stuba (the 'sequel'), adds some killer wind parts, keeps the 3 marimba soloists, and is a blast to watch!

Fwiw, The Cavaliers played Stubernic in '97 and came in 2nd (99.5 to SCV's 99.7). I believe this was either right before or right after it got published. 8-man walk-around on 3 marimbas!

They played Afta-Suba in '01. Can't remember the result, though (didn't march or teach that year).