A Few Questions...

Okay so I've got a few questions for you guys and gals regarding a few different things so here we go.

-1.) How did those of you who have marched choose who you marched for? Was it a passion towards an organization ("I love what Corps X does over what Corps Y does, Ive always wanted to be a part of Corps Z") or was it more logistical ("Corps A is located closer/less expensive vs. Corps B")

-2.) This kind of goes with my first question, and that's what finally made you want to be in a corps? What was the thing you saw in drum corps that was the straw that broke the camels back, and you just knew you had to be a part of it? Or what outside influences pushed you into drum corps? ...or both?

-3.) This is not relevant to the first two but I figured I'd ask it here rather than open another thread, but I've heard that if you're auditioning for Bluecoats, they don't take you as a rookie/someone with no previous drum corps experience. Does anyone know how much truth there is to this?

...Sorry, I know it's a lot to digest in a single post but Im just curious.

Okay so I've got a few questions for you guys and gals regarding a few different things so here we go.

-1.) How did those of you who have marched choose who you marched for? Was it a passion towards an organization ("I love what Corps X does over what Corps Y does, Ive always wanted to be a part of Corps Z") or was it more logistical ("Corps A is located closer/less expensive vs. Corps B")

-2.) This kind of goes with my first question, and that's what finally made you want to be in a corps? What was the thing you saw in drum corps that was the straw that broke the camels back, and you just knew you had to be a part of it? Or what outside influences pushed you into drum corps? ...or both?

-3.) This is not relevant to the first two but I figured I'd ask it here rather than open another thread, but I've heard that if you're auditioning for Bluecoats, they don't take you as a rookie/someone with no previous drum corps experience. Does anyone know how much truth there is to this?

I know at least one Coats guard member who did indoor guard, but never drum corps, who is entering his second year in the Bluecoats.

Thank you, I figured that it might not entirely be true because I heard this from a volunteer at my high school who auditioned for Coats drumline and they said they didn't take rookies, and he ended up on the Cadets tenorline that summer.....But this was '97, so I figured it might've been a little dated.

1.) Well it was way back in 2008, before I had any knowledge of marching band and certainly not any of drum corps, when I saw an excerpt of a show on the interwebs. My first thought was something to the effect of, "Whoah that's crazy, what on earth are they doing?!" and my second thought was, "Whoah, 'Phantom Regiment' is a really awesome name." And that name stuck with me for the next three years until I actually got involved in the activity (with a small open class corps, because it was close), and I knew that's where I wanted to end up.

2.) It probably helped that the video I watched was, specifically, 2008 Phantom Regiment...

Edited by contraBand

Total rumor. I've known 3 guys that got spots in the Bluecoats' hornline as rookies with only high school marching experience. Coming prepared for your audition and showing a good attitude and work ethic can compensate for a lack of experience a lot of the time from what I've observed/heard about.

• Like 1

Total rumor. I've known 3 guys that got spots in the Bluecoats' hornline as rookies with only high school marching experience. Coming prepared for your audition and showing a good attitude and work ethic can compensate for a lack of experience a lot of the time from what I've observed/heard about.

Thank you for clearing that up. I would give anything for the oppurtubity to march sometime within the next 4 years. It just so happens Bluecoats are based about an hour or so away from my hometown, so it'd make logistical sense to audition for them combined with the fact that they are in my top three favorites. Does anyone know what their rehearsal style is? (I.e Cadets boot camp intensity, or more, I don't like the phrase laid back, but perhaps more of a liken to an intense band camp like feel)

Thank you for clearing that up. I would give anything for the oppurtubity to march sometime within the next 4 years.

Go find out for yourself. Don't look to us chuckleheads for meaningful insights. Some the rumors you're contending with likely have been propagated right here. Ask someone who knows - at the camp. It's in your neighborhood. And have fun.

HH

Edited by glory
  • Like 1

Sorry, I'm just hungry for knowledge. I'm one of those people who likes to know as much as he can before jumping into something. Funny thing is, I've been looking around in my school for almost a month to see if anyone wants to go to that camp with me. My friend is a tenor player who hopes to march as well (he's aiming for BD though) said he'd want to go. It looks like an obviously excellent experience and plus it gives me a reason to skip playing Pomp and Circumstance for an hour at our schools graduation ceremony :)

Sorry, I'm just hungry for knowledge. I'm one of those people who likes to know as much as he can before jumping into something. Funny thing is, I've been looking around in my school for almost a month to see if anyone wants to go to that camp with me. My friend is a tenor player who hopes to march as well (he's aiming for BD though) said he'd want to go. It looks like an obviously excellent experience and plus it gives me a reason to skip playing Pomp and Circumstance for an hour at our schools graduation ceremony :)

One of the things that gets taught along the way of drum corps is not just good technique at music and marching but good technique with life; in other words, maturity.

To you, it's just some dumb song, Pomp and Circumstance. But to those graduates, it is tradition, the mark of achievement, efforts realized, and friendships that they will have to work to maintain in the future. For their folks it is probably more than just a ceremony, it's a tribute to their many years of trying to help their child grow, sometimes despite them. You can look at it narcissistically as just some dumb notes, or you can look at it as helping to make someone's memories better and their self respect noted. It's like when a drum corps like the Legends does it's annual concert pre-tour at the nursing homes, when Jersey Surf does the Flag Day celebrations, when Cadets and others do umpteen Memorial Day parades and Blue Devils their world wide music clinics. it's more than just dumb notes; it's helping through music to make our world a better place. This you can choose to be part of.

Edited by normy diploome
  • Like 2

Sorry, I'm just hungry for knowledge...

If that "sorry" was directed at me, then I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound critical. Rather I just wanted to point you toward better data. DCP can only get you so far. Spending time with the Bluecoats staff is where you want to be to get the answers you seek.

HH

Edited by glory