Crown Rehersal Thoughts, Among Other Things

Nice comments. Regarding this point:

The Vocals/Electronics - Questioned them in the videos, absolutely fell in love with them today. They are an integral part of the source material and this show.

Do you think audience members who don't know the source material--i.e., almost everyone--will feel this way?

• Like 5

Nice comments. Regarding this point:

Do you think audience members who don't know the source material--i.e., almost everyone--will feel this way?

This is something I think you honestly do have to do a little research on. Everything but the ballad fits in the show theme without former knowledge in my opinion, it's a sciency/mathy show, so those work regardless. The ballad is the part that will have some people scratching their heads, and I honestly wouldn't blame them, even though I might disagree with them.

So I guess that's half yes/half no.

Edited by DrumManTx

Well the narration in the ballad is taken straight from Einstein on the Beach..... but then the ballad ITSELF is NOT from Einstein...it's from the Abyss, so I scratch my head at that moment too, but I'm usually too involved in listening to the ballad than wondering about trivial things

• Like 1

Well the narration in the ballad is taken straight from Einstein on the Beach..... but then the ballad ITSELF is NOT from Einstein...it's from the Abyss, so I scratch my head at that moment too, but I'm usually too involved in listening to the ballad than wondering about trivial things

Yeah, regardless of what they do with this portion, someone's not gonna like it. I didn't have a problem with it, wasn't my favorite part of the show, but I didn't hate it by any means. The rest of the should more than make up for it if you didn't enjoy that part of it.

Edited by DrumManTx

This is something I think you honestly do have to do a little research on. Everything but the ballad fits in the show theme without former knowledge in my opinion, it's a sciency/mathy show, so those work regardless. The ballad is the part that will have some people scratching their heads, and I honestly wouldn't blame them, even though I might disagree with them.

So I guess that's half yes/half no.

Thanks. I am of two minds on what should be expected of an audience. When J.R.R. Tolkien was, at his aunt's suggestion, compiling poems for the collection The Adventures of Tom Bombadil in 1962, he sent them to her for review, and she questioned whether words like "plenilune" and "argent" were too difficult, particularly for children. He replied at length, saying among much else of a possible younger audience that "As soon as you limit your vocabulary to what you suppose to be within their reach, you in fact simply cut off the gifted ones from the chance of extending it." So I believe that art or entertainment, including drum corps, should challenge audiences. A little. But most audience members, without whose ticket purchases there would be no drum corps, are going to see any show only once in a season. (And it is difficult to judge how much the audience is likely already to know. I was stunned last year by how many people seemed never to have heard of Dada before.) To tell that audience they have to do some research to appreciate the show will turn them off. The show has to be enjoyable enough in the first place that they want to do that research. I hope that's true of Crown this year.

• Like 4

Thanks. I am of two minds on what should be expected of an audience. When J.R.R. Tolkien was, at his aunt's suggestion, compiling poems for the collection The Adventures of Tom Bombadil in 1962, he sent them to her for review, and she questioned whether words like "plenilune" and "argent" were too difficult, particularly for children. He replied at length, saying among much else of a possible younger audience that "As soon as you limit your vocabulary to what you suppose to be within their reach, you in fact simply cut off the gifted ones from the chance of extending it." So I believe that art or entertainment, including drum corps, should challenge audiences. A little. But most audience members, without whose ticket purchases there would be no drum corps, are going to see any show only once in a season. (And it is difficult to judge how much the audience is likely already to know. I was stunned last year by how many people seemed never to have heard of Dada before.) To tell that audience they have to do some research to appreciate the show will turn them off. The show has to be enjoyable enough in the first place that they want to do that research. I hope that's true of Crown this year.

I think that even if you don't do the research, this show is still VERY enjoyable. I should have said this, if you do a little research, it will make it that much better, you will notice a lot more than if you didn't have any knowledge, but not so much so that you can't enjoy it without researching the source material a bit.

I think that's the key to great shows nowadays. They should be good enough musically and visually to stand on their own merit with one viewing....but they should also reveal things with each viewing and understanding of the theme to those that see the show numerous times. I think that's the only way to keep the die hard fans and judges engaged throughout a season.

• Like 2

I think that's the key to great shows nowadays. They should be good enough musically and visually to stand on their own merit with one viewing....but they should also reveal things with each viewing and understanding of the theme to those that see the show numerous times. I think that's the only way to keep the die hard fans and judges engaged throughout a season.

Boom. That's what I was trying to say, and they are doing that in my opinion. I can't count on two hands how many things I don't think I'd ever notice in one viewing let alone a video on youtube. But at the same time, that show is an absolute blast regardless.

Edited by DrumManTx

I call it the Shrek effect in program design. It has to have LAYERS ....like an onion :)

• Like 1