Music & Marching in Merrillville

A brief recap of the Merrillville show:

Good weather. Free parking. Free printed program.

The Pioneer soloist has been on crutches since late May, from a foot injury earned at the uneven Pioneer practice lot. From a small town near Ft Worth Texas, this is the 17-year-old's rookie year, and he is excited about the non-Irish show that Pioneer is creating. He hopes to be marching Sunday night, June 23 in Bowling Green. The program features an effective brass drill in front of the pit on the audience sidelines. A second Pioneer also sported crutches at last night's program.

During the beautiful Troopers show, several of us in the stands were fighting back tears. This is a wholesome, patriotic, Western show, with a terrific opening fanfare. The guard starts the show in a classic starburst formation. There are many great brass runs. Lovely flag designs. The new uniforms work very well. The momentum nearing the finale starburst is goosebump city. This show immediately gets placed in the "I wanna see this one again" slot.

What I wanted to happen in the Blue Stars Voodoo show was one large "30 yard line to 30 yard line voodoo doll formation" with a menacing pin stuck into its heart. Nonetheless, this show is imaginative, with dozens of "I hope he/she catches that" guard moments. Blue Stars have perhaps too much focus on the stunts - yet the guard shines.

Intermission. Hot Dog $2. Popcorn $2. Though you can faintly hear the traffic on I-65 between shows, the dull interstate roar is silenced during the performances. Excellent astro-turf field. No track. High School colors include a rich, royal purple. Early season show: no on-field judges.

Crossmen have a protest show. What are they protesting? The high price of gas? The hundred yard dash? The cancellation of NBC's "Smash"? This show needs more chaos. I say turn ON the guard's megaphones to create cacophony. Protesting can't have good diagonals, straight lines, and a strong brass book.

Madison's show is D-Day, Vietnam, Boy Scouts, Brotherhood, BIG drill moves and Apocalypse Now. The show seems fragmented, but with many great parts. The glue will be added during the tour. Another "Madison has returned" show. But I am torn with the "You'll Never Walk Alone" ending. The vocals were great, but the dead bodies disturbing - but I guess that's the point. A sincere standing ovation - including a few in the stands with walking canes.

Later that night, Madison did 4 encores, including the September 11 finale number from the 2011 season, Ice Castles, and the traditional Madison arrangement of "You'll Never Walk Alone."

• Like 1