Stanford Thoughts

So I figured I'd give a review based off what I saw from a very exciting and very competitive Stanford Show....

SCV Cadets - Nice sounding group this year with very high energy. Loved their drum line and the drill. They'll contend in Open Class no doubt. Would've liked to have seen them and BDB go after BDC but oh well

BDB- Great Hornline, they have a screamer that is just pegging it out there. I kept thinking- there's the next great BD soloist and upper lead. Very mature show and corps, no doubt they'll be hard to catch and will have a shot although an outside shot at semis.

BDC- Fun, Reminds me why this activity exists! So many youngsters that grow up loving drum corps and here's a handful that get to live it at an early age! Kudos

Mandarins- Big!! Also a very aggressive and full sound this year. Mandarins new unis debuted at Sacramento show are way cool. This looks to be a good year for Mandarins. They've got to dial back some of the narration but the show is aggressive and competitive! Big step up!

PC- Wierd show, great corps. Maybe the best I've heard Pac Crest but the vehicle is a Prius and not a Ferrari. Very disappointed in the design awkward at best esp the end. Wishing them the best but won't contend for finals with corps ahead having mature, sophisticated, entertaining shows.

BK- Biggest homer alert- I admit it but man am I excited for them. They have such a mature rich sound this year. Kudos to Jay Bocook on his writing- fantastic arrangements of This Bitter Earth and First Circle. What really sets this apart from his prior writing is his use of an original composition- Curcle One. The piece is what we'd call the true opener and is fantastic! Maybe surprising to some to see the drill and vis design so good with a different staff, but I'm not! They have a great mix of new in what has been written and the drill is off the charts! There were exaggerated reports that BK had a rough winter... Actually it was the opposite and I can now share they had their largest turn outs ever. In fact 50 people tried out for the 20 or so baritone/Euph spots. I think BK is definitely in contention for the single digits and could be a dark horse for the top six. They've got to put the closer on but this show is way cool. Go BK:)

SCV- Ill have to watch again but I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be. Hornline sounded better than last year but still is ragged at times. Visually I enjoyed their production and the genius behind it but musically it fell flat for me. I'll probably change my mind but I need to see it again. As if now I feel they'll be 5-6 at best come Indy.

Crown- Hated the narration the first time I heard a clip, loved the show and the narration for Stanford! Wow how can the brass play like that? Unbelievable!! Should've won, but I think they have the same scenario as prior years... Percussion has got to be top 2-3 this year and I fear it will be top 4-6 and cost them at the finish. Stellar product, I feel the drill matches the music much better this year than last. They are more defined in every section for this early on and I think will be the favorite for the title come Aug. Honestly I see Crown and Cadets ducking it out in the end:)

BD- I like this show better than the past few but still I just don't get it! Rite of Spring with Jazzy elements? Call me a purist but Stravinsky wouldn't approve of treating his masterpiece like that. At times the arrangements are good but the. It just feels like its forced to swing to fit the BD mode.... Visually this is just not a great product. I hear people say- BD is known for innovation and not fast paced drill/vis. Ok, but I argue that BD perfected moves for years by writing effective drill with smart usage of field placement. That said- they've got to stop with the props. Great BOA bands use props from time to time... You're freakin BD.... Enough is enough. I don't think this show will contend in the end, just not enough substance to keep up with Crown and Cadets. I'll say 3rd maybe 4th come Indy. I don't agree with booing, nothing positive can come about by showing displeasure in that way. No matter how u spin it the members don't deserve it, period!

Overall great show and with what's brewing in the east and Midwest thus is gonna be a helluva great summer of competition!!!

Wes P

• Like 1

Nice review. Thanks for sharing. I'm not really sure what to make of the west just yet (including Crown). Video just doesn't give a good read for me. I truly need to see the shows live, but I think Carolina is certainly going to be in medal contention all summer. They would be my bet to win it all this year. I find the Blue Devils show to be very good and wonderfully engaging for the first 7 or so minutes. It's a much improved show over last year, at least for me. Their advantage over Crown is quality in all sections, not just brass. SCV is also a possible medal show. It will be tough with Cadets doing so well, and also with Phantom and Bluecoats both having outstanding shows.

So the top 6 is really good and there isn't a bad show in there for me. Can't wait to see all these corps live.

BD- I like this show better than the past few but still I just don't get it! Rite of Spring with Jazzy elements? Call me a purist but Stravinsky wouldn't approve of treating his masterpiece like that.

He actually wrote some jazz pieces.

22 minutes that will open your eyes on the subject. Also there have been many articles this year (with Rite having a 100 anniversary) that touch on Rite being a favorite among jazz musicians.

Edited by CloudHype

He actually wrote some jazz pieces.

22 minutes that will open your eyes on the subject. Also there have been many articles this year (with Rite having a 100 anniversary) that touch on Rite being a favorite among jazz musicians.

From what I could hear on the Fan Network it sounded alot like Sebesky's chart on Rite. He of course is the same composer of Bela meets the Birdman that BD played a couple of years ago.

BTW...I almost forgot, I loved it.