Hi everyone. Newbie here...Want to float an idea by you.

For my first post, figured I would dive straight in. Everyone knows the topic of "Judging", "Slotting" etc is controversial, and will always be that way. Nothing we can do about that, at least not that I know of. So, my solution to this, and there are various forms it could take, one of which could be a revenue maker for DCI is to add a Fan Vote. It doesn't count towards medaling, but it would be a separate award given to the those corps.

A few ways this could look:

1) As a form of revenue to DCI, on quater-finals for $x.xx you can create a log in/user ID, down load the judges sheet and submit your own top 12, winner, high drums, best GE, etc. There is a time cut off, DCI cumulates the scores and announces the results prior to the official results, or on FB and their website.

2) On DCI's website you drag and drop each corps to the placement you feel they need to be and click submit. The announcements are not made at finals, however, the results are tallied and presented as part of DCI's web/social media experience.

Those are just two, and am sure a good discussion could produce more...the bottom line, in my opinion, if many of us feel we have no say, so thinking along the lines of fan participation (ala American Idol), I think this would be a really cool thing to see. With all social media we have now it could be put out there pretty quick and get all of us DCI fans/alums a say. Personally, I would love to see how the fan vote differed, if at all, from the judges.

So, there it is. If this idea has been presented and discussed ad nauseam my apologies, again this is a first post for me.

JKT90

• Like 4

For my first post, figured I would dive straight in. Everyone knows the topic of "Judging", "Slotting" etc is controversial, and will always be that way. Nothing we can do about that, at least not that I know of. So, my solution to this, and there are various forms it could take, one of which could be a revenue maker for DCI is to add a Fan Vote. It doesn't count towards medaling, but it would be a separate award given to the those corps.

A few ways this could look:

1) As a form of revenue to DCI, on quater-finals for $x.xx you can create a log in/user ID, down load the judges sheet and submit your own top 12, winner, high drums, best GE, etc. There is a time cut off, DCI cumulates the scores and announces the results prior to the official results, or on FB and their website.

2) On DCI's website you drag and drop each corps to the placement you feel they need to be and click submit. The announcements are not made at finals, however, the results are tallied and presented as part of DCI's web/social media experience.

Those are just two, and am sure a good discussion could produce more...the bottom line, in my opinion, if many of us feel we have no say, so thinking along the lines of fan participation (ala American Idol), I think this would be a really cool thing to see. With all social media we have now it could be put out there pretty quick and get all of us DCI fans/alums a say. Personally, I would love to see how the fan vote differed, if at all, from the judges.

So, there it is. If this idea has been presented and discussed ad nauseam my apologies, again this is a first post for me.

JKT90

Welcome. Nice post. Interesting ideas.

However. it is biased toward the young with all those new fangled techno thingies that DCP dinos constantly berate. You'd also have to have an option where each Dino is assigned a Noobie/Newbie as a administrative assistant. That way they still feel important and in power, ha, ha.:shutup:/>

• Like 3

Welcome. Nice post. Interesting ideas.

However. it is biased toward the young with all those new fangled techno thingies that DCP dinos constantly berate. You'd also have to have an option where each Dino is assigned a Noobie/Newbie as a administrative assistant. That way they still feel important and in power, ha, ha.shutup.gif/>

Thanks...perhaps that's where the drag a corps and drop them in whatever spot you want comes in. On one side all the corps are listed on the other empty spaces 1-12, click on your corps and drag them to the appropriate spot, click submit. Done.

Didn't they do this a couple years ago at one of the regular season shows...via cell phone texting.

Didn't they do this a couple years ago at one of the regular season shows...via cell phone texting.

WGI does this somewhat, at Finals they have a 'Fan Favorite' award that people can text votes similar to shows like American Idol. One unit from each class gets recognized at Finals retreat.

Welcome.

I'm not sure how "not having a voice" impairs my ability to enjoy a drum corps show. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing, but I've never texted a vote to any television network intent on getting my contact information to sell me useless stuff I don't need and didn't ask for.

The irony of the process is very clear: The more successful the model becomes, the less "say" any one voter actually has.

And people actually PAY to do this?

Only if they cut the ticket price to reflect the marketing dollars they stand to gain off my personal information.

How about this instead: Fans (who care to) can pay to enter a drawing to become a "guest judge" in the booth. Day of show you'd receive some light training on the sheets, and your score accounts for something like 1% weight (or some other low-impact percentage) of the overall score.

Or don't have "guest" score count at all. But you still get to sit in the booth, wear the badge, and be introduced on the field.

Want some REAL excitement? Raffle off a chance to be a field judge!

:w00t:/>

• Like 2

In the end, this would not be a "fan favorite", it would be "which corps can mobilize their online army best and get them all to vote 6 billion times each".

• Like 7

WGI does this somewhat, at Finals they have a 'Fan Favorite' award that people can text votes similar to shows like American Idol. One unit from each class gets recognized at Finals retreat.

which doesnt really indicate a fan favorite either.....schools get all their kids to text...directors call all their fireds etc etc..even if they never see a show.....and many many many just roll eyes and doesnt even bother voting.... but i gess its kida cool especially when the fav. so to speak isnt even a top guard or drumline

even those shows like Idol with the audience vote..some of those programs are finding out the fan vote is kinda nuts and doesnt indicate whats good or bad or even entertaining. ( Idol...Taylor Hicks.....)....lol.......and Jennifer Hudson NOT even making top 3....Dancing shows......votes by personality NOT talent..to many variables when left up to the masses I think.

Edited by GUARDLING

In the end, this would not be a "fan favorite", it would be "which corps can mobilize their online army best and get them all to vote 6 billion times each".

Sounds worried that BD might not win....

• Like 2