New DCI judges?

Here's a discussion point: I understood Mandarins show this season on my first viewing last weekend, & I thought it was something fresh. I think they're getting underscored in GE Effect. Would that make me a bad judge?

I think it was Scott Stewart of the Madison Scouts that back in the 80's, 90's simply refused to go to the post show judging tent critiques. I think his famous quote was along the lines of " I look up into the stands after my Corps performs and it really tells me everything I really need to know. " . His stubborness probably did not help him and his corps with the judging community at the time, but I did admire his boldness and frank honesty about how he felt and looked at things. I found it quite refreshing as a matter of fact. He epidomizes the word " Maverick ", imo. Some today think that Stewart was behind the times then. But the future may look upon him in a different light. Future generations might just find that he was perhaps actually ahead of his time. ( that is, if we can find a way to regrow and renergize the national audience and therby keep the future activity alive. )

Well, his staff was going to critique in 1996 at least some of the time...

Here's a discussion point: I understood Mandarins show this season on my first viewing last weekend, & I thought it was something fresh. I think they're getting underscored in GE Effect. Would that make me a bad judge?

Based on this super brief reasoning, I'd say you are an awful judge (you didn't even say which half of the GE sheet you're talking about, as there is no one GE Effect sheet in DCI).

But I'd be interested in hearing your actual reasoning stating criteria on whichever GE sheet you're talking, different boxes, etc. It doesn't make a bad judge to put someone up in a score: it makes a bad judge for someone to naively put someone up w/out explaining why (I haven't seen Mandarins this year, and have no opinion on the matter, FWIW)

FWIW, among BOA, WGI, & DCI, my order (from worst to first) for judging excellence is: BOA (by far the worst; score sheets alone are a total mess and need to be overhauled), DCI, and WGI.

I'm not saying WGI is by any means perfect at all (far, far from it), but overall, imo, I believe they have created the best judging system of the three, and have often been at the forefront of changes that have improved pageantry arts adjudication.

I also don't think age should matter: all that should be required is that people are current with modern design & execution standards. I know some people trialing for DCI this season that range pretty broadly age-wise, but also have a wealth of experience as members, instructors, designers, band directors, etc. I obviously won't get into specifics regarding who is judging (I'll let them speak out if they want to), but it's exciting to hear that there are a good crop of judges getting into DCI judging!!

Lady Gaga doing guard.

• Like 1

Len, Bruno and Carrie Ann. :tongue:

• Like 1

Lady Gaga doing guard.

I thought she already was as I observe some of drahma there.