Tualatin - Drums of Fire

Lets start tonight's show topic out with the basic info.

Show starts at 7:30 PDT. This year is a new venue. We have a new A division baseball team...the Hillsboro Hops (named after the beer ingredient not a kangaroo since we have so many microbreweries in the area). They have a game in the new stadium adjacent to the football stadium so the drum corps show has been relocated to Tualatin HS about 15 miles south of Portland. The stadium holds about 2000 per Oregon Crusaders director Mike Quillen. As of last week all the reserved seats had been sold which I estimate to be about 2/5's of the stadium. Given that the majority of attendees will go for general admission I think this could be a sellout. With OC's success last year and having SCV back in the show after a long hiatus I am really confident of the sellout.

We are having a beautiful hot NW day today after the last week or so being cool. At 11:15am it is currently 83 degrees so I would expect mid 80's at the start of the show with about 50% humidity. Just about perfect.

I will be taking pictures tonight....just need to figure out how to get them on.

OC has announced on Facebook that they are unveiling a surprise tonight (really did it last night but no one has let the cat out of the bag yet). OC should be about the same size as last year. Horn line is designed for 64 although I believe there are still a couple of open holes. Drum line should be improved from last year. I don't know about the guard. Not as many horn line vets returned as I was expecting from last year but the quality is still at least at that level. As I understand it is the drill that is being cranked up this year getting up to around 200 bpm which should challenge the kids. New visual staff that worked with Cadets in mid 2000's are on board. I know that they will not march the closer until San Antonio so it will be standstill I assume tonight.

I'm really excited to see SCV after watching Stanford on demand. This should be a fan favorite show this year. They always get a great reception here with lots of corps vets in the area. I need to watch BK's show this afternoon on demand to get prepared for them. They are always well received as well. I have not heard anything about the other Nw corps to provide any info on them.

That should get us started for tonight.

• Like 1

Good luck to all corps tonight! Just wait til you see SCV live!! Saw them at Stanford and the show is simply beautiful.....the drill is sheer artistry on the field! Loved Blue Knights, as well. So impressive in terms of sound and creative show design. And you gotta love the guard unis.....especially when they add those beautiful circle skirts! :thumbup:

Heard its cool and crazy Granite.... Looking forward yo seeing the whole show as well.:)

OC has announced on Facebook that they are unveiling a surprise tonight (really did it last night but no one has let the cat out of the bag yet). OC should be about the same size as last year. Horn line is designed for 64 although I believe there are still a couple of open holes. Drum line should be improved from last year. I don't know about the guard. Not as many horn line vets returned as I was expecting from last year but the quality is still at least at that level. As I understand it is the drill that is being cranked up this year getting up to around 200 bpm which should challenge the kids. New visual staff that worked with Cadets in mid 2000's are on board. I know that they will not march the closer until San Antonio so it will be standstill I assume tonight.

San Antonio is almost a month away. Why do standstill endings until then? What do Patrick Crowley and crew have in store for us? Deep thinker that one; very talented.

San Antonio is almost a month away. Why do standstill endings until then? What do Patrick Crowley and crew have in store for us? Deep thinker that one; very talented.

Oregon is just doing the four shows in the Northwest (Medford, Tualatin, Renton, and Boise) and then not competing again until San Antonio, after which they will be on full-scale tour for the following three weeks. Given that it's their first year in World Class, they are starting with a light schedule to ensure they don't overextend their resources. They only just started camp on June 14.

Good luck to all corps tonight! Just wait til you see SCV live!! Saw them at Stanford and the show is simply beautiful.....the drill is sheer artistry on the field! Loved Blue Knights, as well. So impressive in terms of sound and creative show design. And you gotta love the guard unis.....especially when they add those beautiful circle skirts! :thumbup:/>

Re: Stanford..... I just want to add a shout-out to the Vanguard Cadets, who also look impressive. Really enjoyed their show, and thought they looked the best ever for early season, that I can remember! Best of luck to them, tonight!