A little rant for some staff

I highly doubt the judge is basing the numbers off of an auditory sensation. They're keyed more into what the work is doing with the music, as well as demand, cleanliness, etc...

Well . . . you'd be surprised what is emphasized in this brave new world of the 2013 season.

I've done this,.............and got back a very snarky comment from a staff member telling me that fans typically miss the best parts of the show,...............I am sorry, but I can decide for myself wnat I like and what I don't,..............

"Fans typically miss the 'best' parts of the show?" :w00t::hehe::biggrin::ohmy::tic::rolleyes::eh::muahaha::laugh::laugh::laugh:

You want to know WHY the fans miss the 'best' parts of the show Gary, and this is what you should have told them, and I would have been poking them repeatedly with my index finger when I told them this:

Because they're NOT as effective as the staff or design staff THINKS they are. That's why the record spate of emoticons. Sometimes, the things you think are so blasted cool and awesome-sauce, really... aren't. Sometimes as a staff member, you have to back off and realize all the cool stuff you think was so cool, really isn't, eat some humble pie, and go back and FIX it! There are times I do applaud when I see something good or very subtle maybe only a few people get, but hey, like Joel Hodgson said about his jokes on Mystery Science Theater 3000, "The right person will get it sometimes. Not everyone might get all of our jokes. that's okay."

When I staff, I do the Dave Rorher hands in the pockets trick, so I can't be accused of coaching. Sometimes I do applaud when something the kids worked hard on comes off better than I anticipated, but get crazy? George Zingali was known for this, but I think George was one of those people who was forgivable. I remember him clearly going off his nut at a Two-Seven performance around 1981 at a DCI contest Hanover, PA.

Unfortunately, Guard people do all sorts of very subtle things that many of us at large just don't really react to. I think they have to put it in perspective and realize just that.

Peeps like the big tosses with a lot of air, the files, the big equipment flooding the field with color. That, they get. The rest has to be pretty daggone good to get a crowd reaction. Add to that some of the hideous costuming, (Glassmen in 2011 with the vampires and Cavies last year come readily to mind) and you have some crowds wondering.....

• Like 1

Well . . . you'd be surprised what is emphasized in this brave new world of the 2013 season.

A judge is smart enough to realize when it's the parent section and the staff cheering wildly and planting reactions. Take my word for it. It's painfully obvious when the Band-O antics come to the fore.

A judge is smart enough to realize when it's the parent section and the staff cheering wildly and planting reactions. Take my word for it. It's painfully obvious when the Band-O antics come to the fore.

I was responding to the post quoted below . . . not suggesting that blatant staff cheering would be mistaken for genuine crowd reaction.

I highly doubt the judge is basing the numbers off of an auditory sensation. They're keyed more into what the work is doing with the music, as well as demand, cleanliness, etc...

Entertainment value is the first criteria for adjudication of all captions this year. Judges have been instructed to judge like members of the audience, not musicians, designers, etc.

After all, I'm told "this is not an intellectual activity".

"Fans typically miss the 'best' parts of the show?" :w00t:/> :hehe:/> :biggrin:/> :ohmy:/> :tic:/> :rolleyes:/> :eh:/> :muahaha:/> :laugh:/> :laugh:/> :laugh:/>

You want to know WHY the fans miss the 'best' parts of the show Gary, and this is what you should have told them, and I would have been poking them repeatedly with my index finger when I told them this:

Because they're NOT as effective as the staff or design staff THINKS they are. That's why the record spate of emoticons. Sometimes, the things you think are so blasted cool and awesome-sauce, really... aren't. Sometimes as a staff member, you have to back off and realize all the cool stuff you think was so cool, really isn't, eat some humble pie, and go back and FIX it! There are times I do applaud when I see something good or very subtle maybe only a few people get, but hey, like Joel Hodgson said about his jokes on Mystery Science Theater 3000, "The right person will get it sometimes. Not everyone might get all of our jokes. that's okay."

When I staff, I do the Dave Rorher hands in the pockets trick, so I can't be accused of coaching. Sometimes I do applaud when something the kids worked hard on comes off better than I anticipated, but get crazy? George Zingali was known for this, but I think George was one of those people who was forgivable. I remember him clearly going off his nut at a Two-Seven performance around 1981 at a DCI contest Hanover, PA.

Unfortunately, Guard people do all sorts of very subtle things that many of us at large just don't really react to. I think they have to put it in perspective and realize just that.

Peeps like the big tosses with a lot of air, the files, the big equipment flooding the field with color. That, they get. The rest has to be pretty daggone good to get a crowd reaction. Add to that some of the hideous costuming, (Glassmen in 2011 with the vampires and Cavies last year come readily to mind) and you have some crowds wondering.....

Man I miss Dave Rohrer, one of my favorite brass guys in the activity. I've never thought he got enough press for what he accomplished out at WestShore. If he had done that at Sky he would have been made King of New Jersey for life.