A little rant for some staff

I think personally they just want to draw attention to themselves, but to the fans, it's not positive attention.

I think that's a major part of it for sure, mixed with a healthy dose of "Well, my instructors did it for me, so I guess that's what we're supposed to do." The irony is that the color guards that perform the best tend to have staff that does it the least, or not at all. Not always, but generally...

• Like 2

It is a guard thing, sometimes it's done to help instill confidence in the unit because it may have been a problem phrase and they want to provide feedback at it being done correctly....

Just another thought.

In this case the ENTIRE show must have been a "problem phrase" :tongue:

It is a guard thing, sometimes it's done to help instill confidence in the unit because it may have been a problem phrase and they want to provide feedback at it being done correctly....

In the words of a great instructor and educator, "If you're paying attention to your staff while performing your show, you're doing it wrong."

In this case the ENTIRE show must have been a "problem phrase" tongue.gif

I never said it wasn't. :tongue:

I think that's a major part of it for sure, mixed with a healthy dose of "Well, my instructors did it for me, so I guess that's what we're supposed to do." The irony is that the color guards that perform the best tend to have staff that does it the least, or not at all. Not always, but generally...

I'm going to go way out on a limb here and say it's a cry for relevance. A lot of these young people are aware that they're not inspiring their kids on the field, and certainly not whipping the crowd up as anything more than an annoyance. To me they're young, poorly paid staff, in many cases interns, who - if they didn't scream in the stands or on the track - might go completely unnoticed - a cruel fate for someone who has dedicated heart and soul to an activity.

To my old ears it feels like a near desperate cry for attention and relevance. "notice me! I taught those kids that spin! He (or she) caught that because of me..."

Can be pretty sad in some cases...

• Like 4

I'm going to go way out on a limb here and say it's a cry for relevance. A lot of these young people are aware that they're not inspiring their kids on the field, and certainly not whipping the crowd up as anything more than an annoyance. To me they're young, poorly paid staff, in many cases interns, who - if they didn't scream in the stands or on the track - might go completely unnoticed - a cruel fate for someone who has dedicated heart and soul to an activity.

To my old ears it feels like a near desperate cry for attention and relevance. "notice me! I taught those kids that spin! He (or she) caught that because of me..."

Can be pretty sad in some cases...

a very wise...and classy guy Ray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think a lot of you guys are digging too far into this. If you go to a winter guard show, it is common for the crowd to clap and cheer several times during a show whether it be a toss or a drill move that is particularly interesting. Since this issue is mostly with guard staff I believe it is just habit to do it from being a winter instructor. That doesn't make it any less annoying but I really don't think it is a cry for personal attention.

I remember back in 79 when Zingalli was with 27th. We were in Rome, NY and we had performed and were watching the surging Lancers. Here he was running along the front of the field yelling to the judges in the box to watch certain things. I had already seen 27th several times so I wasn't watching them, but he was a riot. I also remember in 83 or 84 at Whitewater when he was on top of the box yelling at the corps during their performance.

At indoor championships in Wildwood, it gets worse every year. It was to the point where the screamers were screaming before a toss was made, then had to quiet down pretty quickly when a toss was dropped. It's very annoying to have this constant high-pitched screaming practically every time a guard member on the floor moves his or her arm. It seems they think they're influencing the judges. Can't imagine the judges need the audience's help to know when something is done well or is false hype. This happens at every level, novice to world class.

At indoor championships in Wildwood, it gets worse every year. It was to the point where the screamers were screaming before a toss was made, then had to quiet down pretty quickly when a toss was dropped. It's very annoying to have this constant high-pitched screaming practically every time a guard member on the floor moves his or her arm. It seems they think they're influencing the judges. Can't imagine the judges need the audience's help to know when something is done well or is false hype. This happens at every level, novice to world class.

I highly doubt the judge is basing the numbers off of an auditory sensation. They're keyed more into what the work is doing with the music, as well as demand, cleanliness, etc...