Cadets props remind me of a less exciting version of the giant mirrors BD had in 2010. I'm pretty sure they won't simply be static colored curtains in August. Can they do anything else with those props besides dividing the field?

BDs poles are very cool. But I don't think they have maxed out their visual effectiveness. There are a lot if really cool effects they could be doing that I think they are currently missing out on.

Coats stands are not very effective except to carry the parade themes. The height that they get is negligible when your looking down from a high stadium and movement is stifled because they are just awkward to move on.

I was thinking the same thing from the minute I first saw them....BD2010. However, the colored boxes show up more on the field and misplacement is more easily recognized, vs the mirrors that seemed to disappear in the reflection of the turf. But for me the big difference has been that the usual prop complainers on DCP have been relatively silent and less mocking of Cadets....but that isn't in the least surprising.

I also agree that BD can do more with the poles....my guess is that they will.

Edited by Plan9

Best props 2013:

Bluecoats (love the bleachers)

Madison (helicopter blades are genius)

Phantom (trees; classy and pretty)

Spirit (piano and poles that turn into a bar add to GE Visual)

Blue Knights (Square box in a circle drill is working)

Crown (They don't have props, because they don't need them)

What do you call rolling bass drums and a park bench.

• Like 5

Madison (helicopter blades are genius)...is what you said.

But check out Cadets 1992 "Taming the Perilous Skies" where guard does same thing with airplane propellers (house Casablanca fan blades which were painted.) Other corps since have done the propellers too.

Edited by drilltech1
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I think Bluecoats' bleachers are the best props this year. They use them as background, to divide the field, to frame the action, to climb around on, and they can get them out of the way when necessary, because they aren't huge. In other words, they serve nearly all purposes that props can serve, and they do it well.

I think BD's props create too much visual noise and are distracting for much of the show, but I'm sure they serve as excellent sight lines for the marchers to line up on... :ph34r:/>

OR... The poles are there for the visual effect and not because the Blue Devils are trying to make it easy. All the BD haters make it seem like they don't deserve the wins they get. Step back, put emotions aside, and watch the show. People got ###### that BD won last year but if I was an outsider looking in, I could blatantly see that Crown's closer was super dirty. The Blue Devils are extremely good performers, and whether or not you like the corps, people need to take a step back and respect it.

OR... The poles are there for the visual effect and not because the Blue Devils are trying to make it easy. All the BD haters make it seem like they don't deserve the wins they get. Step back, put emotions aside, and watch the show. People got ###### that BD won last year but if I was an outsider looking in, I could blatantly see that Crown's closer was super dirty. The Blue Devils are extremely good performers, and whether or not you like the corps, people need to take a step back and respect it.

I agree they should... But they won't.

I totally respect BD and I like this year's show. Not sure what last year's BD or Crown show has to do with anything, but I liked those shows, too. Anyway, the thing about sight lines was a joke, although I'm sure they do use them that way... how could they not? It would be stupid not to.

(Although I have to point out that Crown's "dirty" show won Visual Proficiency two nights out of three, but you know, details.)

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 1

I totally respect BD and I like this year's show. Not sure what last year's BD or Crown show has to do with anything, but I liked those shows, too. Anyway, the thing about sight lines was a joke, although I'm sure they do use them that way... how could they not? It would be stupid not to.

(Although I have to point out that Crown's "dirty" show won Visual Proficiency two nights out of three, but you know, details.)

I know it's not a prop, but my wife still contends that Crown's "counting" is like a human metronome and helps the ensemble timing.

• Like 1

I know it's not a prop, but my wife still contends that Crown's "counting" is like a human metronome and helps the ensemble timing.

Not a chance, given the sound delay of the counting coming from the speakers in the front. Anyone on the field listening to the counting would be hopelessly behind. It's why you have to have the Dr Beat at the back of the field, not in the press box.

Heh, yeah I've thought along similar lines. Better counting that's part of the music than "dut dut dut DUT" in every silence. :tongue:

• Like 1