I'm a big fan of SCV this year, but I don't think their props are very effective. I understand that they are used to hide the corps proper while playing back field, but they are just too far away to make any real visual impact. I'm curious to hear what others think.

Not a chance, given the sound delay of the counting coming from the speakers in the front. Anyone on the field listening to the counting would be hopelessly behind. It's why you have to have the Dr Beat at the back of the field, not in the press box.

Aren't most of them counting as they do the body movements across the field in the opener? And when the bass drum is leading out with the woodblock it reminds me of corpsband for some reason when I see and hear it. :cool:

I do agree and understand about sound on the field, but she never marched, so I do understand her thinking.

I'm a big fan of SCV this year, but I don't think their props are very effective. I understand that they are used to hide the corps proper while playing back field, but they are just too far away to make any real visual impact. I'm curious to hear what others think.

Waiting to see them live, but yes, something makes me want them to be brought forward at some point. The disappearing act and flag tosses are really cool though.

I think Vanguard's use of their props is genius! Viewing their show on TFN doesn't even come close to giving the panels justice!

1. The panels don't clutter up the field leaving room for the corps to perform that beautiful drill

2. The hornline playing to the backfield while hiding behind the panels, combined with the guard and soloist left alone on the field, makes for a beautiful and somewhat haunting visual/musical moment.

3. The use of the flags behind the panels is very cool. In Terri's words, "The flags are like fireworks from behind the panels in back, and it's a blast to watch."

Edited by skajerk
  • Like 1

I think Vanguard's use of their props is genius! Viewing their show on TFN doesn't even come close to giving the panels justice!

Yeah, I think this is right. Live they really work well, IMO, far better than the videos show. I suppose they could start them out on the field and then move them to the back sideline as they are retreating from the soloist, although I don't think their drill leaves room for it, and I think it'd probably look awkward.

SCV for sure utilizes their props well. A beautiful, relative backdrop when not in use, and amazing effect when in use. The fireworks effect by the flags are sweet..

• Like 2

Aren't most of them counting as they do the body movements across the field in the opener? And when the bass drum is leading out with the woodblock it reminds me of corpsband for some reason when I see and hear it. :cool:/>

I do agree and understand about sound on the field, but she never marched, so I do understand her thinking.

Oh, maybe they are! I don't know, I haven't seen it live and my impression was that all the counting was coming out of the speakers, whether sung or sampled. But that's based purely on YouTube.

I actually like them a lot! They provide a nice but muted backdrop for the rest of the show and they don't get moved around. I love the use of them for the guard feature as well as the flags that pop up from behind. It's a fantastic GE moment for me - feels like fireworks.

Oh, maybe they are! I don't know, I haven't seen it live and my impression was that all the counting was coming out of the speakers, whether sung or sampled. But that's based purely on YouTube.

They added in the entire corps (at least the brass) counting from the field during the pre-show a few shows into the season, IIRC. Though they're still doubled by the samples, which then continue on and reprise a couple of times.

Edited by skywhopper

From best to worst:

1. SCV - the backdrop props are indeed genius, and extremely effective live - and especially when in use to hide the corps or their re-entry, and the flag tosses. Also love that they are OFF THE FIELD and leave the entire field open for a fantastic visual program purely coming from the guard & drill.

2. Spirit's Piano & the poles that become a bar

3. Cadets Boxes - I'm shocked I'm saying this. I don't like the color scheme or fabric and they need to continue to clean the movement/alingment, but by SA, with considerable cleaning from eary season and sitting up high, they do add some nice effect to the show & theme

4. Phantom's Trees - I actually think they are cool, and fit the theme for that part of the show. Also impressive to me to see the hornline members play while carrying them. Maybe a gimmick, but I think it's a tricky element of demand (and as a low brass player, sweet revenge on sopranos/trumpets to have something else to carry behind those smaller, lighter horns - grin)

5. Bluecoats stands - well done & effective

6. Madison's Helicopter Blades - at times aI like them, at times they seem cheap. Not sure why I'm on the fence on this one.

7. Mandarin's boxes - nice images that compliment the show. Spacing needs cleaned.

8. Blue Star's Vodoo accessory shelves in front. Nice touch.

9. Crown's Bench & rolling Bass drum - don't mind either at all.

10. BD's Poles - too much & too distracting. Would mind them less if they moved them more quickly to the center and got the rest out to the perimeter.

11. OC's Coffin ... uhh... no.

12. Academy's chairs - been there, done that & used way too long