BD Versus Crown

Blue Devils - Rite of Spring

Crown- 2001

I’ve got a lot of blowhard opinions. So, take ‘em or leave ‘em. I’m a published author, a produced screenwriter, and I’ve acted on television. I’ve got horrible ideas, and some good ones, and you just have to take it or leave it, but I’m not backing down. So, get your Vicodin and your poppers, and get ready to half-enjoy.

HIGHLIGHTS

--BD’s show is so confidently performed, so astoundingly intricate and completely unique original in mood and style that it really becomes an entirely new art form.

--Crown’s show is more literal, more relatable, more emotionally stirring, more universally human, and ultimately more memorable. It has the powerful emotional resonance of Our Town by Thornton Wilder, and it will be studied for decades.

BLUE DEVILS

The Blue Devils Rite of spring has a Cirque du Soleil, exquisite, dream-like weirdness about it. (The show designers apparently emailed their show designs direct from a performance art barge featuring helium swimwear and asparagus martinis.) Without the Cirque du Soleil as a cultural reference for the style of this show, the designers would surely be carted off by anyone with the power to commit. The show is gorgeous and absurd and unsettling, like eating a Cobb salad in the dark. But by God, I think they may have invented a new art form.

BD’s confusing mélange of phrases and moods, cross-bows, obelisks and balls is based on the Stravinsky original symphony, but most of it is frankly unrecognizable. In fact nothing in the show is really relatable to anything in the realm of human experience. And apparently Stravinsky intended it that way. “My music is best understood by children and animals," he said. Maybe children can explain the use of the obelisk other than to cheat formations.

So, try to explain it to someone. BD’s show. Go ahead. Okay, I’ll start. This show is a modern Cirque du Soleil-style drum and bugle corps which has evolved from military drum and fife corps, and plays a piece of Russian classical music through the lens of modern jazz.” That’s a pretty busy concept, as performing arts go. So, this is a production that is an interpretation of an interpretation of interpretation, but because it is performed with such grace, it somehow transcends its ridiculously confused artistic origins.

So, why does this show even bother to claim Stravinsky’s Rite of Spring as its jumping off point? For artistic validation? Or because Spring is the only solid concept the show has going for it? Girls, you’re so beyond that right now, don’t even bother referencing an original piece of music. Screw Stravinsky. At some point, a composer has gotta have balls enough to create his or her own music, and have guts enough to say it’s based on nothing but their own amazing invention.

I bet that Crown’s corps members would agree on what their show means. But BD’s members, because of the abstract nature of the show, couldn’t possibly agree. The show is not definable in words. It’s so removed from narrative structure, and so abstract, that any consensus on a description about its meaning would be a cosmic accident. Words can’t describe it, at least not on first viewing. And to be honest, some of that ambivalence comes through in the performance. Hey, if you don’t know what it means, even on an emotional level, how are we in the audience gonna begin to try?

A word about these gifted young performers. The Blue Devils guard has icy cool, Cirque -quality skills. They’re Broadway-worthy, zero body fat dancers and acrobats, with a poise and stage presence that waft over you like dry ice at a dance club. It’s the cold-blooded refinement that you see in exquisitely talented athletes, or those Cirque performers as they concentrate before diving into a pool of water four stories below, or when they spin wildly in the air until another acrobat grabs them by the elbow. The BD color guard catches red bowling balls in their armpits, okay? They produce oxbows from their navels. There’s no equipment changing here, the equipment changes itself. The BD horn players and drummers are in peak physical condition, and seem almost impervious to emotion, almost inhuman. At first you think you’re looking at a drop of sweat coming off a drummer’s earlobe, but then it dawns on you-- it’s a diamond earring. Of course there’s no sweat here. That would be a sign of humanness.

I have a problem with corps show designs that are too abstract. There, I said it. And the only thing worse than having a show made up of random jazz moments like this, is when you end it by breaking down and throwing it all away for a park and blow moment at the end. Kinda like, “Well, you endured the esoteric stuff, so now we’re going to reward you with some relatable rock and roll volume.” They almost break character at the end. They “drop the ball.” Why do this so late in the game? You freaking wore a batman outfit to prom, dude, don’t give up now that it’s eleven o’clock. Keep on. Believe in yourself. The ending’s got to go, or add some stylistic movement to it, because right now, the ending belongs in a different show.

Now here’s my overall rant about Jazz in this show. If you’re going to play jazz, and if you’re going to dabble in abstraction, it is essential, absolutely essential that you improvise in the show. Absolutely essential. A show based on a musical genre emanating from improvisation must have musical soloist improvisation if it is going to be thematically aligned, if it’s going to be legitimate, and if it’s going to soar. Period. You have these incredible musicians, grab the opportunity make this about improvisation. Thematically, this show is about breaking tradition, randomness, creativity in the moment and innovation-- they all lend themselves to musical improvisation. As far as I can tell, there’s none here, and it’s a missed opportunity of gross proportions.

QUICK TAKES

--Soloists - robotic, rigid, atonal, where’s the improvisation? .

--Tatto guard uniforms - body tattoos! The costume designs are elegant beyond belief.

--None of BD’s music was hummable. Just an observation.

--What’s with the head-down robot-like marching in parts of this-- this belongs in Crown’s show, but not here.

CAROLINA CROWN

Crown won the applause meter tonight. And for good reason.

This brilliant show starts with an almost grim avalanche of numbers and equations. Crown inundates you with a sea of calculations. It’s a tightly woven tapestry of space themed symphonic and electronic pieces, including the hummable theme from 2001 A Space Odyssey and by the end, it’s clear, that as that last girl runs toward the end zone and stops, you know. This is our job. We’re doing the work of running toward the end zone, making discoveries, and building meaning into our lives through music.

This show is packed with powerful musical moments, with plenty of controlled abstraction, placed in a context-- the only way that abstraction is bearable to watch. The show is funny. The robotic movements are funny and point up the absurdity of our workaday world. And midway, the theme of love comes into play. Simply and cleanly, pointing up the absurdities of our relationships, and the gravitas of human love.

The vocals are professional and convincing like Hal in 2001. The sticks that the guard use need to be cleaned up. A lot. Messy as hell. They’ll get to it. No matter.

This show is profound. There, I said it. This show is about being human among the billions and billions of stars in our infinite universe. Uniquely human. With the capacity to love, and the capacity to test our limits. It’s about the universal gift of humor. It’s about clocks ticking, and algebra. And food and coffee. And new ironed dresses and hot baths....and sleeping and waking up. And putting on your uniform, and polishing your horn. It’s about throwing a rifle that spins so fast and high in the air that for a moment it looks like a star. Oh, earth,you are too wonderful for anybody to realize you. Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every,every minute? The show is breathtaking in its humanity. And stirs the soul.

[/size]

You must be from Cali. :ohmy:

I just hope Crown or Cadets best BD at finals otherwise we are going to keep getting pulled into their "art". Several WC corps BDed their show this year and again, it's like watching paint dry. I apologize if I like the way Crown or Cadets make me feel when watching.

Edited by newjerseycorpguy
  • Like 2

Thanks for the review (now that it's posted in the review forum)!

based on the Stravinsky original symphony, but most of it is frankly unrecognizable.

It's a ballet, by the way, but I find the music very recognizeable. There are no bits (other than the solos) that aren't based on the original. Chopped up in BD fashion, too many returns to the opening solo for my taste*, and missing the killer ending and some other of my favorite motifs from the original. But eminently recognizeable to anyone familiar with Rite of Spring. As are certain of the visuals.

* Wouldn't it be cool to mirror the original's putting the bassoon into its highest register, and have a baritone playing the opening solo at the top of its range... but quietly. A tough order, but it'd be awesome.

Edited by skywhopper

Thanks for the review (now that it's posted in the review forum)!

It's a ballet, by the way, but I find the music very recognizeable. There are no bits (other than the solos) that aren't based on the original. Chopped up in BD fashion, too many returns to the opening solo for my taste*, and missing the killer ending and some other of my favorite motifs from the original. But eminently recognizeable to anyone familiar with Rite of Spring. As are certain of the visuals.

* Wouldn't it be cool to mirror the original's putting the bassoon into its highest register, and have a baritone playing the opening solo at the top of its range... but quietly. A tough order, but it'd be awesome.

I'm also wondering why that opening bassoon solo is getting such heavy play during BD's show... Very much hoping they change that. And I'm hoping their ending incorporates some of Stravinsky ending, too.

I just hope Crown or Cadets best BD at finals otherwise we are going to keep getting pulled into their "art". Several WC corps BDed their show this year and again, it's like watching paint dry. I apologize if I like the way Crown or Cadets make me feel when watching.

It's more than just a "feeling." You are experiencing the vacuum of abstraction. It happens in the theater all the time. You sit and watch a play or a performance art piece, and if you don't know who the characters are, where they are and what they're doing, it gets tiresome at about the 7 minute mark. In drum corps, abstraction gets tiresome at the 2:00 minute mark. That's precisely when Crown kicks in with new emotions and characters and then comes in with the two parents on a park bench talking about the limits of love. Who. What. Where. You need it in any medium, including pop music, otherwise, it's all unrelatable garbage. "I crashed my car into a bridge, I don't care! I loff it." Who. What. Where. Listen for it.

BD doesn't have it, and the show suffers as a result.

Edited by Brutus

Never have I seen so many words typed without a single thing actually being said.:worthy:/>/>

Here's the dumn version:

1) Crown will win

2) BD is too "out there"

3) BD changes at the end, why?

4) Do you wonder what the stars are? Crown made sense of it.

• Like 1

The show designers apparently emailed their show designs direct from a performance art barge featuring helium swimwear and asparagus martinis.

The show is gorgeous and absurd and unsettling, like eating a Cobb salad in the dark.

So, this is a production that is an interpretation of an interpretation of interpretation, but because it is performed with such grace, it somehow transcends its ridiculously confused artistic origins.

They’re Broadway-worthy, zero body fat dancers and acrobats, with a poise and stage presence that waft over you like dry ice at a dance club.

The BD color guard catches red bowling balls in their armpits, okay? They produce oxbows from their navels. There’s no equipment changing here, the equipment changes itself.

At first you think you’re looking at a drop of sweat coming off a drummer’s earlobe, but then it dawns on you-- it’s a diamond earring. Of course there’s no sweat here. That would be a sign of humanness.

I love it!

Edited by chris ncsu

I'm also wondering why that opening bassoon solo is getting such heavy play during BD's show... Very much hoping they change that. And I'm hoping their ending incorporates some of Stravinsky ending, too.

My brother were I were also discussing this. We think it might be because not only is it the most recognizable melody from the piece but it's also one of the few melodies that is....melodic haha. As in, there aren't a lot of usable melodies from the piece that you could put into a drum corps show. Just a thought