Collisions...

At DATR in '99 the Cadets had a huge pile up as a growing square wound around. This was right at the beginning of the show. One member went down then it was the domino effect that was pretty dramatic, if my memory serves me well. They recovered but I remember the crowd gasping. I'd never seen anything like it.

Alex, Are you sure that was Cadets 99? The reason I ask is a good friend of mine marched Cadets that year, we met up after the show and didn't have a conversation about that, but I do remember Crossmen in 98 having a pileup at DATR on side one near the front sideline. The bari or euph was marching across the sideline when that person lost his/her balance and took a fall and the Contras were following and because they couldn't see from the horn angle, about 1/2 dozen fell over each other. I remember the audience gasping as you could see it going on, but there was nothing anybody could do as each member went down one by one.

The most memorable one I can think of was Magic 2002 in the intro. A guard member dropped a rifle, and rather than move the drum he was assigned to on the field, he went for the dropped rifle first, leaving a tenor player to blindly back up into the drum that he assumed had been moved by the guard member.

Poor guy spent quite a while getting himself back together, and was welcomed back by cheers from the entire audience.

From what I understand, his tenors rolled over him and he marched the rest of the show with a concussion.

That would be me, and I was playing trumpet. But nonetheless, it scared the crap out of me when I had hit him.

A better video of that collision:

Around 50 seconds is where the collision occurs.

You handled yourself very well! Very professional. I was impressed with your recovery, Houdini is still one of my favorite shows...and its' certainly my fav Blue Stars show. btw, I changed the original comment of mello player to trumpet player for better accuracy.

Edited by msumello
  • Like 1

If you have FN.. check out Crossmen 08 San Antonio night show (think it might be on you tube somewhere, too). I had a collision with the drum judge. It's near the end right after the final big "Jupiter" statement.

I was doing I think a 3.5 to 5 out of a halt straight across. I was mid air... we never even saw each other. I bounced off of him mid air... and rolled almost to my dot. Was a little out of it, but got back in there as soon as I figured out what set we were on. Of course they were six count sets at a fast tempo.. people zooming around me.

Judge found the staff after the show.. was really apologetic... wanted to make sure I was okay. I wanted to be sure he was okay! It was a pretty hard collision.

Wow! That was a good one - glad you're ok!

Although it didn't involve a judge, one of the most famous collisions was in Whitewater in '84. I was marching in SCV and we had just concluded our Finals performance. I was talking with someone with Spirit of Atlanta while watching Garfield Cadets. They started their Z pull and when the end person was on around the 20 yard line he tripped. This caused a chain reaction and there ended up being around 8 horns on the ground. Ironically, Garfield scored a perfect score in Field Visual and another perfect score in GE Visual two weeks before Nats.

If you have FN.. check out Crossmen 08 San Antonio night show (think it might be on you tube somewhere, too). I had a collision with the drum judge. It's near the end right after the final big "Jupiter" statement.

I was doing I think a 3.5 to 5 out of a halt straight across. I was mid air... we never even saw each other. I bounced off of him mid air... and rolled almost to my dot. Was a little out of it, but got back in there as soon as I figured out what set we were on. Of course they were six count sets at a fast tempo.. people zooming around me.

Judge found the staff after the show.. was really apologetic... wanted to make sure I was okay. I wanted to be sure he was okay! It was a pretty hard collision.

Just watched it on the fan network....nice recovery!

Although it didn't involve a judge, one of the most famous collisions was in Whitewater in '84. I was marching in SCV and we had just concluded our Finals performance. I was talking with someone with Spirit of Atlanta while watching Garfield Cadets. They started their Z pull and when the end person was on around the 20 yard line he tripped. This caused a chain reaction and there ended up being around 8 horns on the ground. Ironically, Garfield scored a perfect score in Field Visual and another perfect score in GE Visual two weeks before Nats.

I don't remember the perfect scores, but if so, it was likely due to execution judging ending with the firing of the gun and GE marks generally focused on how well the design was delivered, allowing for the overlooking of such incidents. I'm guessing that the judge already felt the show was worth that in the GE caption and didn't feel the one-time execution glitch was enough of a factor to lower his score.

I don't remember the perfect scores, but if so, it was likely due to execution judging ending with the firing of the gun and GE marks generally focused on how well the design was delivered, allowing for the overlooking of such incidents. I'm guessing that the judge already felt the show was worth that in the GE caption and didn't feel the one-time execution glitch was enough of a factor to lower his score.

I might be mistaken about the perfect scores. I know they had them at Nats that year. The Cadets had a terrific show, not sure it was perfect but it was one of their bests.

Crossmen 2004 in finals a guard member dropped a rifle and went to pick it up and IMMEDIATELY got flattened by some hornline members.

Crown 2009 finals in the middle of the hurricane set right before they reform the company front going back into The Promise of Living, there were a couple hornline members that bit the dust hard and really had to scramble to get back to their spots. Not sure if it was a collision or they just lost their footing.

In 2010, I was a member of the Blue Stars snareline and saw you two run into each other before my very eyes. I have the judge's tape, and Allan Kristensen (the judge) was thoroughly apologetic afterwards. Interestingly enough, there was ANOTHER collision that happened at the very end of the show. You can't see this unless you view the high camera footage. We added a couple measures to the end of the show for the "illusion" part where Houdini magically reappears in the middle of the corp and runs off the field and into the tunnel. The snares split into 3s and pressed forward very quickly between several ranks of horn members. In my group of 3, the front snare drove his drum attachment (a metal ribbon crasher) straight into Allan's *crotchal region* and kind of got held up for a moment. We added this press in just a few days before finals, so Allan was clearly not expecting it (or able to move fast enough to get out of the way.) You can hear him go "OOOF" when he gets plowed through on the recording. Ha ha ha