Collisions...

Crossmen 2004 in finals a guard member dropped a rifle and went to pick it up and IMMEDIATELY got flattened by some hornline members.

Crown 2009 finals in the middle of the hurricane set right before they reform the company front going back into The Promise of Living, there were a couple hornline members that bit the dust hard and really had to scramble to get back to their spots. Not sure if it was a collision or they just lost their footing.

could those mistakes in Crown have lost them the championship in 2009?

could those mistakes in Crown have lost them the championship in 2009?

Nothing could have propelled Crown to beating BD's 99.05, IMO.

• Like 3

Nothing could have propelled Crown to beating BD's 99.05, IMO.

Ight I thought so.....although I don't see what you described in the show though

Throwing together a top 12 production in a little under a month of spring training would be a humanly impossible endeavor... There are important fundamental aspects that groups need to address at that time. However, some groups that absorb talent, such as BD, don't have to spend so much time on basics, and will move forward a bit faster earlier on in the game.

Have you seen Garfield 1985? They didn't get MUSIC for "Jeremiah" (the first 7 minutes of the show) until MARCH (while the rest of the eventual top-4 were recalling parts of their 1984 shows). And that music was written by somebody who three years earlier was playing bass drum-- then a DM --then a marching tech.

You mentioned fundamentals. I have the "Jeremiah" score, and there was no easy way to "prepare" for it. They played the second movement almost in entirety (adding a bigger finale)--- the time signatures are bizarre; the beat doesn't stay constant. Oh yeah... they did it with TWO valves on G-major horns (the key signatures are many). Almost 30 years later, I'm still in awe of how they pulled it off. Perhaps that is putting a human perspective on "a humanly impossible endeavor."

And according to Bob Morrison (pit arranger), the first time they actually put a section of it on the field, it was "a disaster." But they were so excited to finally have a Point A.

• Like 1

Having played Jeremiah in orchestra.. that second mvt is a beast sitting down!

• Like 2

Just watched it on the fan network....nice recovery!

Thanks! Had no clue where I was for a little.. just stepped off with the music.. then realized I didn't have my cover down and just let it catch up to me. Don't know how I had the mind to get my aussie back on so fast.

Although it didn't involve a judge, one of the most famous collisions was in Whitewater in '84. I was marching in SCV and we had just concluded our Finals performance. I was talking with someone with Spirit of Atlanta while watching Garfield Cadets. They started their Z pull and when the end person was on around the 20 yard line he tripped. This caused a chain reaction and there ended up being around 8 horns on the ground. Ironically, Garfield scored a perfect score in Field Visual and another perfect score in GE Visual two weeks before Nats.

AS far out to the right as they were, most people didn't realize what had happened until this kind of buzz went through the crowd it was pretty unbelievable and just glad there were no bad injuries at that one - we have had a lot of injuries over the years and some not even due to collisions.

Sorry - was not aware that there was an injury to one of the players on the z pull since they all got up, sorry to hear he missed the rest of the season.

Edited by rchammar

It was definitely Cadets 99 in Denver. Easily the worst night of my marching career. I played contra that year and it happened right in front of me. Worst thing was the announcer as we were leaving the field who said something like, "Folks, it's OK -- they are taught to roll away if they fall down. Tough show for the maroon team."

I believe that I have a video of that event from that show...

Edited by jjeffeory

I don't remember the perfect scores, but if so, it was likely due to execution judging ending with the firing of the gun and GE marks generally focused on how well the design was delivered, allowing for the overlooking of such incidents. I'm guessing that the judge already felt the show was worth that in the GE caption and didn't feel the one-time execution glitch was enough of a factor to lower his score.

Didn't execution judging stopping at the gun go the way of the dodo at the same time as the tick system? 83 was the last year of the tick system. The Garfield z-pull crash was definitely 84 because I remember people talking about it at Bloomington IN a few days later. I aged out in 83, so I am pretty sure of the time-frame.

1983 Phantom had a wedge of low brass build at the end of the opener that was collision-city (despite several re-writes) for the first 1/2 of the season until one of the members came up with a re-write that actually worked...

Edited by IllianaLancerContra