Collisions...

In 2010, I was a member of the Blue Stars snareline and saw you two run into each other before my very eyes. I have the judge's tape, and Allan Kristensen (the judge) was thoroughly apologetic afterwards. Interestingly enough, there was ANOTHER collision that happened at the very end of the show. You can't see this unless you view the high camera footage. We added a couple measures to the end of the show for the "illusion" part where Houdini magically reappears in the middle of the corp and runs off the field and into the tunnel. The snares split into 3s and pressed forward very quickly between several ranks of horn members. In my group of 3, the front snare drove his drum attachment (a metal ribbon crasher) straight into Allan's *crotchal region* and kind of got held up for a moment. We added this press in just a few days before finals, so Allan was clearly not expecting it (or able to move fast enough to get out of the way.) You can hear him go "OOOF" when he gets plowed through on the recording. Ha ha ha

Since you mentioned changes before finals I have a question that no one has answered yet. How late in the season do changes occur?.....Like, at what point is it to late to change things for finals?.......Do you think its' the same for most corps?

Edited by msumello

2003 Cavaliers in San Antonio. Watched a tuba take a bad spill in the middle of some very tight and fast drill. He rolled around on the turf to avoid tripping anyone else, then rolled up right into his dot for a full ensemble hold.

It was beautiful.

• Like 1

Alex, Are you sure that was Cadets 99?

Yes, "The Big Apple." They repeated the "Stonehenge" move where a speedy block rotated and grew, grew, grew. They lost DATR by a bunch.

Although it didn't involve a judge, one of the most famous collisions was in Whitewater in '84. ... Ironically, Garfield scored a perfect score in Field Visual and another perfect score in GE Visual two weeks before Nats.

No, they received a 9.1 (4th) on the field; in visual ENSEMBLE, they got a 10. No, it wasn't perfect. It was merely 0.2 better than SCV's 9.8. In prelims, Garfield was 0.3 better than SCV in V.E. Frank Morris judged all 13 minutes... not just the last 20 seconds. Hell, they may have been 0.6 better, but he wasn't allowed to score 10.4. Remember, folks, that 1984 drill was something nobody had ever seen...attempted....written. Their 1982-1983 drills were innovative and state of the art, but they weren't as consistently speedy and exposed. Garfield scored very high all year upstairs (SCV won GE Visual that night, btw).

I don't remember the perfect scores, but if so, it was likely due to execution judging ending with the firing of the gun and GE marks generally focused on how well the design was delivered, allowing for the overlooking of such incidents. I'm guessing that the judge already felt the show was worth that in the GE caption and didn't feel the one-time execution glitch was enough of a factor to lower his score.

This was 1984. The gun and ticks finished their existence in 1983.

Frank Morris (I think it's "Frankie") is still judging visual. I'll try to poke the bear and release my findings. ;)

Then there was the Contra player in the Cadets' 2002 New York Memories show. He went down near the end of the opener (didn't look like a crash or a wet field...dunno). The heartache was magnified because it seemingly took him foreverrrrrrr to run back into the form. Poor kid.

Since you mentioned changes before finals I have a question that no one has answered yet. How late in the season do changes occur?.....Like, at what point is it to late to change things for finals?.......Do you think its' the same for most corps?

Things will change all the way up to finals, and the extent of those changes will depend on a group to group / year to year basis. There aren't any corps that are performing the same exact show they finished with at spring training. But a lot of the great ones start with something they know will "stick," yet be fairly malleable throughout the time spent on tour. There needs to be room for growth/new ideas, but not tooo much!

Throwing together a top 12 production in a little under a month of spring training would be a humanly impossible endeavor... There are important fundamental aspects that groups need to address at that time. However, some groups that absorb talent, such as BD, don't have to spend so much time on basics, and will move forward a bit faster earlier on in the game.

Depending on the size of any modification, it would probably be in the best interest of the organization to keep it small and perfectable if it's really, at all close to finals.

These shows are constantly evolving and at different rates. Audience reception as well as judges remarks and the players' ability to bring a clean product to the field is always taken into consideration by the staff. So, it's probably never to late to change any tiny little detail as long as it's believed to help bump the corp's score, even if it's a fraction of a fraction of a point! Every little thing matters in the end.

Things will change all the way up to finals, and the extent of those changes will depend on a group to group / year to year basis. There aren't any corps that are performing the same exact show they finished with at spring training. But a lot of the great ones start with something they know will "stick," yet be fairly malleable throughout the time spent on tour. There needs to be room for growth/new ideas, but not tooo much!

Throwing together a top 12 production in a little under a month of spring training would be a humanly impossible endeavor... There are important fundamental aspects that groups need to address at that time. However, some groups that absorb talent, such as BD, don't have to spend so much time on basics, and will move forward a bit faster earlier on in the game.

Depending on the size of any modification, it would probably be in the best interest of the organization to keep it small and perfectable if it's really, at all close to finals.

These shows are constantly evolving and at different rates. Audience reception as well as judges remarks and the players' ability to bring a clean product to the field is always taken into consideration by the staff. So, it's probably never to late to change any tiny little detail as long as it's believed to help bump the corp's score, even if it's a fraction of a fraction of a point! Every little thing matters in the end.

Thanks for clearing that up.I've been wondering about it for quite a while.

Alex, Are you sure that was Cadets 99? The reason I ask is a good friend of mine marched Cadets that year, we met up after the show and didn't have a conversation about that.

It was definitely Cadets 99 in Denver. Easily the worst night of my marching career. I played contra that year and it happened right in front of me. Worst thing was the announcer as we were leaving the field who said something like, "Folks, it's OK -- they are taught to roll away if they fall down. Tough show for the maroon team."

I've got two- one infamous, one maybe not so much.

1- Cadets 2009, about 2/3 of the way through finals, one of the snares ate it going backfield, and caused a 3 or 4 drum domino. Let the "conspiracy theories" commence when it comes to their drum score..

2- Crown 2008, somewhere in the middle of the country (possibly Oklahoma or Iowa?). Contras in a line sliding across the front of the year, and one if them slips, then another, and another, resulting in I think 6 contras falling over each other. At one point there was a YouTube video of this, but there's no telling if it still exists.

*Honorable mention- Crown 2008 Finals, during the "Hallelujah" section of closer through their "crown to crown", the percussion judge almost got trampled no less than 3 times while running for his life. Easily seen on the dvd.

Although it didn't involve a judge, one of the most famous collisions was in Whitewater in '84. I was marching in SCV and we had just concluded our Finals performance. I was talking with someone with Spirit of Atlanta while watching Garfield Cadets. They started their Z pull and when the end person was on around the 20 yard line he tripped. This caused a chain reaction and there ended up being around 8 horns on the ground. Ironically, Garfield scored a perfect score in Field Visual and another perfect score in GE Visual two weeks before Nats.

What I remember about that one is that one of the horn members who went down fractured his leg. He got up, finished the show, and marched well :worthy: but was out for the last two weeks :huh2: