Filling a spot at the last minute

Yes, it happens to every euph player when they're not used to carrying the horn. It's awkward and heavy, so it takes time to get used to. Not sure I agree with moving the arms, most staff members I've talked to would rather watch you shake a bit then draw attention to yourself by moving.

Yeah I wondered if he'd get a talking to from staff about that... I doubt they wanted him to shift positions like that. It looked awkward. I'm sure he knows better too and was just trying to survive the standstill :) Just goes to show that running around a field with those euphs is really, really difficult. Hats off to the lot of you.

worthy.gif

it's hard to watch someone you care about dealing with abject pain like that... knowing all the while however that he loves every minute of it!

That's drum corps!

haha I'm sure he is not loving it when he can't hold up the horn... we've all been there.

i think too, that you are seeing part of the reason that drum line holes just get absorbed into the drill. You can put a horn player out there that doesn't know portions of the show musically, but you can't do the same for drumline.

i enjoy reading your updates! he will be in the show before we know it :thumbup:

I am loving these updates! I am pretty sure I remember seeing this struggling euph in the standstill at the Gala. Poor guy... I know his pain! in 2003 when I first joined OC, I joined 1 month before alldays originally wanting to be in the colorguard! I marched Tenor Sax in my highschool marching band, and performed in the winterguard, so naturally I figured I could at least spin. Well we needed horn players so bad, when I expressed interest to play a horn the next season, they handed me a euph and said "blow". I made a sound so they forced me into the hornline haha

Naturally, I went from a neck strapped instrument, to a forward facing BEHEMOTH of a horn. I went through the exact same pain as your son, and it was humbling to see someone else go through it :tongue:

It is encouraging that people are expressing interest in my updates. I didn't know if others found this thread as fascinating as I do! OC euph, your comment about the horn being a behemoth is spot on. It is the heaviest, non-supported horn to shlep out on the field for sure.

Well, they're off. OC busses and trucks rolled out at 7 PM last night after the standstill and field performance (which by the way, was STUNNING. I may be a homer but OC is looking mighty world class to me. Let's hope everyone else thinks so too and... their brass has come a long way even in the past month :) First gym floor for the kids is Salt Lake I believe. It is expected that my son will be fully integrated and marching by San Antonio! Woo hoo. Hopefully no more wobbly euph arms. If you happen to be an "in the lot" junkie, as I am, he stands second to the right of the tubas in the arc.

It is interesting to note that every drum corps person who has commented on this thread has said that the drill comes first, the music later, or that the music takes way longer to learn than the drill, etc. I talked to my son (let's call him Nic.. many of you OC readers know who he is anyway :) at the gala yesterday and asked him about that. He said he had the music down in the first day or two and that it's the drill that is coming slower. But it should also be noted that so far, he has been on his own to learn it. Last I heard, the visual supe will be working out some intricacies with him on Tuesday.

In any case, when he puts horn to lips he is BLOWING baby!

San Antonio, Oregon is Crusading your way!

Edited by luv4corps

It is encouraging that people are expressing interest in my updates. I didn't know if others found this thread as fascinating as I do! OC euph, your comment about the horn being a behemoth is spot on. It is the heaviest, non-supported horn to shlep out on the field for sure.

Well, they're off. OC busses and trucks rolled out at 7 PM last night after the standstill and field performance (which by the way, was STUNNING. I may be a homer but OC is looking mighty world class to me. Let's hope everyone else thinks so too and... their brass has come a long way even in the past month :) First gym floor for the kids is Salt Lake I believe. It is expected that my son will be fully integrated and marching by San Antonio! Woo hoo. Hopefully no more wobbly euph arms. If you happen to be an "in the lot" junkie, as I am, he stands second to the right of the tubas in the arc.

It is interesting to note that every drum corps person who has commented on this thread has said that the drill comes first, the music later, or that the music takes way longer to learn than the drill, etc. I talked to my son (let's call him Nic.. many of you OC readers know who he is anyway :) at the gala yesterday and asked him about that. He said he had the music down in the first day or two and that it's the drill that is coming slower. But it should also be noted that so far, he has been on his own to learn it. Last I heard, the visual supe will be working out some intricacies with him on Tuesday.

In any case, when he puts horn to lips he is BLOWING baby!

San Antonio, Oregon is Crusading your way!

I am seriously twitching with anticipation on the show results.

This has nothing to do with the thread... but I'm honored to have gone from DCP rookie to DCP veteran... not sure when it happened. Oh boy!