Filling a spot at the last minute

If you're interested, here's a LINK to a story I wrote about this kid last fall for DCW.

I can see the determination on his face that makes me certain he's not going to let the corps, or himself, down.

Dan! Nice to hear from you. He will work his butt off and give it his all, i know that. That's what he loves most about drum corps so he'll get the hard work in spades this year!

It was so funny, yesterday before I took him to all-days he brought out his mouthpiece and buzzed for awhile. After a few minutes, I teased him and said with that he must be all warmed up and in shape :) He laughed. He hasn't played his horn for at least a month now. At this moment, it is no doubt already stuck to his inflamed lips.

I can't wait to ask him how it's going at their big tour send off gala on Sunday...

Testing my new photo. Didn't work ::satisfied:/>

Edited by luv4corps

I came in to fill a hole with Colts the last 3 weeks of the '95 season. I marched my first COMPLETE show in one week, drill and music. Fortunately I still knew a good number of the members from the previous season and all of the staff, so I had plenty of help. I may have been a bit ahead of the curve with the help I had, so perhaps a week is a bit ambitious, but it can be done.

They'd prefer to have him marching than playing at this point anyway. He has time to learn the music in the meantime.

Dan! Nice to hear from you. He will work his butt off and give it his all, i know that. That's what he loves most about drum corps so he'll get the hard work in spades this year!

It was so funny, yesterday before I took him to all-days he brought out his mouthpiece and buzzed for awhile. After a few minutes, I teased him and said with that he must be all warmed up and in shape :) He laughed. He hasn't played his horn for at least a month now. At this moment, it is no doubt already stuck to his inflamed lips.

I can't wait to ask him how it's going at their big tour send off gala on Sunday...

Cadets2 filled a few holes a few weeks prior to DCA champs with some Cadets 1 and a SOA member. DCA is full of stories of junior members coming in after champs and marching DCA champs.

BITD of elbow contact and 3-man squads, it was quite possible to fill a spot on very short notice. I even guest marched American Legion Nationals Sr. prelims doing a drill I had never practiced.

BITD of elbow contact and 3-man squads, it was quite possible to fill a spot on very short notice. I even guest marched American Legion Nationals Sr. prelims doing a drill I had never practiced.

If you had elbow contact with a good guard member who knew his/her counts, you were also good to go and fill the stadium with music. Good times :smile:

Just curious...when you are asked to fill a hole, are you also required to pay the complete tour fee, or because you're being asked to fill a hole, do you join the corps for free?

there is no one answer to this question. Different corps handle it differently...even differerent year to year. Some discount heavily, some do not. Often it depends on how desperately they need the specific hole filled plus what is the financial situation of the corps' organization that particular season.

For an example advertised on DCP within this past month, Cadets offered a spot at basically half of what usual fee was. Another spot was filled when the instructors pitched in and footed the whole bill. See what I mean?

Just curious...when you are asked to fill a hole, are you also required to pay the complete tour fee, or because you're being asked to fill a hole, do you join the corps for free?

Free? No. That would be nice. But we were offered a tuition discount sufficient enough that I felt it was worth it.

One update has come back after just ONE day at all days. Here it is:

"I am ungodly sore."