Fiesta in Manchester

Maybe we can get a real Open Class show discussion going here today. Anyone going to the show? Can you update us as the show progresses? Are Spartans the favorite? Can 7th Regiment challenge for the win today?

Chat it up!

Garry in Vegas

Interesting and fun.

I love the 7th Regiment story, and only partially because my son is the brass guy.

This is a corps that was outside of OC finals back a few years, and had the patience and intelligence to make a plan that was viable and stick to it.

They have a young man named Mike Blancafleur on percussion that I think is as talented as most of the WC arrangers.

They have grown steadily, (to 40+ horns this year from the teens a few years back) and this all the while having kids move on to WC corps before aging out.

They maintain a loyal support system made up of alumni of the New London Surfers.

They are taking local talent from Eastern CT, RI, and mostly Southern MA and building piece by piece.

Some of my admiration is simply pride in my kid. The rest is the satisfaction that maybe the "drum corps is dead" rumors are premature.

7th Regiment are doing it the old fashioned way - patience, a plan, dedicated and talented staff and support staff (including one of my personal favorites, the inimitable Miss Daisy), and kids who get it, dig it, and trust the plan.

Glad you started this thread. I'm guessing things get interesting from here on in.

Congratulations to 7th Regiment - building a sustainable corps the old fashioned way.

Gotta love it.

• Like 1

Here are the scores:

1. 79.200 -- 7th Regiment

2. 78.900 -- Spartans

3. 76.200 -- Legends

4. 72.700 -- Raiders

5. 63.900 -- Les Stentors

Only five judges (as is apparently normal in Open Class this early), with none for guard, where Spartans tend to be very strong, but extend all congratulations to the victory by 7th Regiment! Meanwhile, Les Stentors tonight scored ten points above their debut contest last year--in fact, this is the exact same score they got at Open Class Prelims last year, when they finished their O.C. season in 13th. If they can improve over the next sixteen days at a rate comparable to last year, they have a good shot at making O.C. Finals.

• Like 2

Bearing in mind that comparisons between scores at different shows (and dates) are of dubious value, the most recent scores for O.C. corps are:

82.600 -- Blue Devils B (7/14)

81.500 -- Vanguard Cadets (7/14)

79.200 -- 7th Regiment (7/21 a)

78.900 -- Spartans (7/21 a)

76.750 -- Gold (7/14)

76.200 -- Legends (7/21 a)

73.250 -- Genesis (7/21 b)

<72.750 -- Impulse [7/14]>

72.700 -- Raiders (7/21 a)

72.200 -- Music City (7/16)

69.650 -- Colt Cadets (7/15)

<68.050 -- Thunder [7/5]>

<65.750 -- City Sound [7/14]>

63.900 -- Les Stentors (7/21 a)

<60.550 -- Blue Devils C [7/14]>

<58.700 -- Columbians [7/2]>

54.800 -- Racine Scouts (7/13)

<Exh. -- Coastal Surge [6/28]>

Blue Saints (first show 7/29)

Taipei Yuehfu (first show 7/27)

(Groups shown in angle brackets will not be competing at O.C. championships.)

Yes, just as in W.C., a full panel at O.C. consists of GE Visual, GE Music, Vis. Proficiency, Vis. Analysis, Guard, Brass, Mus. Analysis, and Perc.

I attended the show in Manchester last evening. Some overall thoughts:

Les Stentors: a favorite of mine for a number of reasons, namely they perform a good show and seem to enjoy what they are doing, and it seems to be a very member oriented organization. This year's show seems to have some more sophisticated portions and they seem to be stronger at this point of the year than they were last year in Indy which is a good sign. They also have some very enjoyable elements in this year's show namely a portion where the guard uses washboards as a prop and the drums then use the washboards to create music. the snare also put their drums on the ground, run in a circle while playing as rifles are tossed over their heads. They placed where I expected them to place but they still did a respectable job.

Raiders: Have certainly improved since CYO Nationals when I saw them last. Their show is based on Poe's "The Raven" and there are some good moments where the percussion adds to the creepiness of the show (Poe's poem is supposed to be creepy, not the corps :cool:/> ) and the guard does a good job setting the mood. The music is original and the corps seems to find it moving. Again, the corps placed where I thought they would but I was surprised at the point spread (they should have been closer to Legends)

Legends: Were very well received. Their show is based on "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" with a young man portraying Ichabod Crane. The guard is dressed in late 18th century attire. The corps has some interesting brass work but a time slacked power, something that no doubt will be remedied by Open Class finals and prelims at Indy.

7th Regiment and Spartans: I expected the scores to be as close as they were, but expected the reverse order of 1st and 2nd. It's interesting, in Bristol I expected it to be 7th Regiment's night and Spartans won. Spartans finish was not as strong as their opening last evening, and their closing is where they have the potential to really pack a punch, where as 7th Regiment was consistent throughout. This may have made the difference. However, Spartans' guard was nearly flawless. This season will be another back and forth between these two corps and I think a big reason why both corps are so healthy is this rivalry.

I felt bad that attendance was down, I'm sure due in part to the heat. They also had direct competition with DCA's "Mission Drums" being held in Lynn, MA that evening which was less than an hour away (many wanted to attend both). However, the crowd was responsive which is what matters most.

A final note: Great job Muchachos. They host the show. The tickets are reasonably priced, the line for refreshments moved, and they have a nice program book for sale. Given the size of the corps, many of those marching were also working. It was a great evening.

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments. In the no-man's-drum-corps-land of Las Vegas, this is how I keep up with what's going on out there. It is appreciated.

Anybody going to Kalamazoo next Saturday? That's the next OC show, though there are a couple of OC corps at WC shows this week.

Garry in Vegas

Anybody going to Kalamazoo next Saturday? That's the next OC show, though there are a couple of OC corps at WC shows this week.

I hope to be there, but still have a dumb phone, so I won't be able to report from the show.