PED's In Drum Corps

Although the use of performance enhancing drugs is very unlikely in an activity such as this, I do believe something that nobody has brought up yet, blood doping, would be something that actually could have an impact on drum corps. This sort of performance enhancer increases one's aerobic ability and endurance, which we all know is a large part of the drum corps activity. As much as corps already push themselves to the limits at rehearsals physically, imagine if they were able to push themselves further and be able to work a little harder. Although this wouldn't necessarily have an impact on musical ability, it could create even more productive rehearsals and performers with even more endurance, creating shows that would have the possibility to be even more demanding and cleaner in the end due to rehearsal productivity.

That being said, I don't think this will ever be an issue. It would almost seem silly to go to an extreme like that.

• Like 2

As a person with a Masters in Exercise Physiology, I know the right PED's can improve your strength, muscle endurance and cardiovascular endurance. That, with the proper hydration and nutrition can build quite an awesome athlete. But! If your show sucks or your musicians suck or if the judges just aren't feeling your show it doesn't matter!

Edited by boxingfred

GoldBondMedicatedBodyPowderOriginalStrength4oz113gWHL.jpg

I can see the headline now:

"DCI Executive Director Dan Acheson has announced that today, after testing, every male participating in DCI corps this summer has been suspended for usage of Gold Bond, which has been tested and shown to contain many performance enhancing additives. While Mr. Acheson understands that running and sweatingin the heat and humidity can cause chafing in uncomfortable places, the ingredients led it to be banned from usage.

One unnamed corps member, when informed of his suspension said "#### that. I'm not scratching myself raw! The heatand humidity have brutal this year. I'd rather Gold bond then bleed to death"

Should there be random drug testing?

No.

I would be against any random drug testing of Corps Show Designers, Judges, Spectators, or even MM's.

I would however consider perhaps making an exception for the interns at DCI HQ that post the DCI scores late at night. Either that, or freely allow the interns there to use Performance Enhancing Drugs to see if it'll help. :lle:

Edited by BRASSO

. Should there be random drug testing?

YES! For the judges!

If I am not mistaken, don't most corps have a contract that has it that members are not allowed to use drugs? So in that case, there shouldn't be random testing done, unless a corps itself feels like one of its members has a drug issue. And I don't believe I have ever heard of any corps having any of their members tested. I am not saying it hasn't happened, just that I haven't heard of it happening.

Having been around corps since the mid 70s, I remember the drug of choice for some members seemed to be pot. Rumors through the busses labeled 3 corps as the corps to march if you wanted to indulge, and I have to say 2 of the corps on that list surprised me. I never personally saw anyone that seemed to have issues. And pot is hardly a performance enhancing drug, from what I understand. I really can't see anyone using performance enhancing drugs. It isn't like professional sports, where one can make millions from making a team. These are kids spending thousands of dollars each summer to perform with corps. I don't foresee drugs becoming a huge problem in the future in drum corps.

YES! For the judges!

I'd be against Random Drug Testing at pre show, and post show competitions for judges. The urine cup test alone for the male judges could result in some nasty watery like shoes as the hand and eye coordination is the first to go usually.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1