My Heart, My Battle, My Soul

I recently saw a field-view video of the show taken by an alum who walked around and shot different views from a ground perspective. The best part of it was when he went around back and filmed the parade coming toward him, happening in back of the show, simultaneously with the ballad. There is a sousaphone even, a coffin, everyone is strutting. Anyone know that they are playing "Saints Go Marching In"? I knew they were playing something but I never realized it was that. They even sing it after they stop playing.

A sousaphone and a saxophone--and of course, they're not allowed to play either of them.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Link to discussion threads for all 2013 World Class corps

A sousaphone and a saxophone--and of course, they're not allowed to play either of them.

that's why the euphs are there :)

Saw the high cam stream of San Antonio, so I had to look on the internet and see what it was I was looking at. I don't mind the uniforms at all - DCI performers tend to gravitate to a similar body type, so more form-fitting uniforms make sense. (I thought the old Glassmen uniforms with the hip triangles made them all look like they had the figures of professional dancers.)

Overall, it's a fairly sophisticated show, written right in their wheelhouse of ability, I think. I enjoyed it when I saw it, and I think that if they can get even more on top of it, even for one show, a few corps above them could be surprised.

Mike

I think that is exactly what they're going for... the show written to the top of their ability... peaking at the right time.

My impression, especially live when I was hardly fifteen feet from the pit and could see the expressions on members' faces, is that they're laughing at, rather than laughing with, the country jamboree section with the (played) washboards and (unplayed) banjo--they seemed not be enjoying the fun but going through what they thought was a corn-pone routine. I'm sure that's not their intent. It's just hard to convey high spirits in a genuine way.

My impression, especially live when I was hardly fifteen feet from the pit and could see the expressions on members' faces, is that they're laughing at, rather than laughing with, the country jamboree section with the (played) washboards and (unplayed) banjo--they seemed not be enjoying the fun but going through what they thought was a corn-pone routine. I'm sure that's not their intent. It's just hard to convey high spirits in a genuine way.

I agree with you 100%. They have to sell it! I think that is why some have called it irreverent or "cheeky" when it's not supposed to be.

I thoroughly enjoyed their performance in San Antonio but did not like the danceUtard uniforms. I had no idea they had done that until they came on the field that day. I am of the thought that their traditional green uniforms are some of the sharpest in DCI. Does anyone know if they plan to keep up the WGI-ish costumes or if they might go back to their traditional classy look?

Neither, they will have a new uniform next year. I saw some concept art for some very cool uniforms that they wanted to do this year, but these winter-drumline-esque uniforms were much less expensive.

Neither, they will have a new uniform next year. I saw some concept art for some very cool uniforms that they wanted to do this year, but these winter-drumline-esque uniforms were much less expensive.

Oh boy new unis! Although I liked their old ones. One plus of this year according to my son: they are EASY to move in. Kids are loving that.

Oregon Crusaders have a great show this year. I would have them a little above Academy at this point as well. They have made a great transition into World Class. With the level of corps around them, it is always tough to move up, but it looks like they will be beating Academy probably at semis, which is a nice step. I like their program a lot better than Academy this year. But I have to admit, I really loved last years OC show just a bit more than this year musically. But I think the overall show design is a step up from last year. I can't wait to see this show again next week live. Best of luck to OC.

Edited by MisterA
  • Like 1

Sad - The more DCI corps look like WGI the less interest I have in the activity.

• Like 2

I hope this isn't information they wanted kept on the down-low...

But still EXTREMELY exciting!PLEASE let them have gauntlets! I've always felt gauntlets looked amazing!