My thoughts

Although the BD version is not my cup of tea--SO much happening on the field for my feeble brain to take in--I was struck by a comment a friend made after--that the actual Rite of Spring work was not an audience favorite when it premiered 100 years ago--many were incensed and walked out of the theater.

I know there is 0% chance that any of BD's management reading this thread (or any part of DCP at this point.) But wouldn't we rather just hear them play a mix of Channel One Suite, Legend of the One Eyed Sailor, La Fiesta, and One More Time Chick Corea? They could probably do that every year, and win every year - and it would be 300% more entertaining than the shows they do now.

When I heard that they were planning on performing a jazz adaptation of Rites of Spring, I thought that was ridiculous. Who knew such a thing existed? And why would you write that, in the first place? Moreover, how could you adapt that to a drum corps show?

Stravinski's work has always been controversial. When it premiered in Paris, it practically started a riot, as the previous poster described. That being said, how far do you need to stretch this piece, to make it something that can be marched to, and is actually entertaining? Or will the audience leave, just scratching their heads?

In the interest of full disclosure, I actually do enjoy Stravinsky's original work. I have a performance of it on my MP3 player. I think it is one of the seminal compositions of the 20th century, and it is right up there with the The Firebird Suite.

Edited by oldschooldbc
  • Like 2

And it has caused real harm to the audio/video history of the activity through portions, or entire shows, being blacked out (obviously referring to the use of electronics with this). I think it is very hard, maybe impossible, to find the positives and very easy to find the negatives. That has been a net loss to the activity and DCI. It is rare that I find anybody saying that the narration actually positively added to a show either, instead most people (even newbies) find it distracting/annoying.

I won't buy any dci dvd/bluray discs that have part of the shows 'blacked out' and was surprised to find that this has happened when I browsed the online store recently. I was annoyed when I received the 1990 dvd years ago and found that Star's show had been edited.

Hey, Evan? Dust off your copy of Glass' "Einstein On the Brach". It will explain everything, including the counting.

And, yes, your Cavaliers are much improved since I saw them 3 1/2 weeks ago in DeKalb. You're also correct that you have to experience Crown's brass live. Amazing.

Garry in Vegas

I'll have to go find it. Again, I love Crown's show for what it is. The narration they use doesn't bother me that much. It's the amount of it that could be trimmed down.

I don't think DCI had this in mind when they talk about increasing the size of its audience.

DCI fans on average are overweight. It's been that way since I started in 1990. I'm sure it doesn't help having championships in the mid-west either as statistically it and the south are larger than the west or east coasts.

People in the theater I was in in were actually laughing and making fun of the narration. It really does completely screw over what is in actuality a very cool piece of music.

Did you give them a lecture about how classless it is like when people say bad things about the Blue Devils?

And it has caused real harm to the audio/video history of the activity through portions, or entire shows, being blacked out (obviously referring to the use of electronics with this). I think it is very hard, maybe impossible, to find the positives and very easy to find the negatives. That has been a net loss to the activity and DCI. It is rare that I find anybody saying that the narration actually positively added to a show either, instead most people (even newbies) find it distracting/annoying.

The electronics haven't caused any performances to be blacked out. Every time they are it's because of the musical selections violate a copyright.

DCI fans on average are overweight. It's been that way since I started in 1990. I'm sure it doesn't help having championships in the mid-west either as statistically it and the south are larger than the west or east coasts.

Americans*

The electronics haven't caused any performances to be blacked out. Every time they are it's because of the musical selections violate a copyright.

So nothing has been blacked out due to uncleared samples from electronics? I had been told otherwise.

If that has not been the case, then I take that back. I had been told from people still on the inside of the activity that this was a problem generated by electronics.

Edited by Tekneek

So nothing has been blacked out due to uncleared samples from electronics? I had been told otherwise.

Not as of yet. Phantom, Troopers, and Madison got stuff blacked out because of the music they were playing. Surf got stuff blacked out because they used both music and a visual representation from the Party Rock video. This year though, surf might have to get special permission because of the Aretha samples

Correction: guess some pre-show stuff has been sliced because of voice samples. Just means corps need to be more careful in the future when they pick their music, and don't guess that they can get the rights

Edited by fsubone

Lots of the copyright problems are related to samples, yes. Last year, Cadets had large portions of their show removed from the CD and DVD. Music City had their entire show blocked from post-season recordings IIRC. I think Cavies had some issues with rights for the music samples in their preshow in 2010.

• Like 1