And Then There Were Two

And then there were two. Some level of suspense remains between BD and Crown however a Crown title seems remote. The 1.0 percussion deficient has been more or less consistent all year and will not been decreased a significant amount in <48 hours. If BD performs as they have, and as you would expect, Crown will have to wait another year to potentially capture the DCI title.

As for the Cadets, they are simply not in the running for the title. Overall they trail BD by 1.1 and are placing 4th in Visual (.85 behind BD). They can narrow the gap but winning a title is no longer in the cards for the Cadets.

NO matter the placement,

Santa Clara can go home with the title of most improved and at least tide with Crown for Fan Favorite. (If not the outright winner). It seems unlikely they will catch the Cadets for a medal. However,They have now placed themselves in the conversation as a future title contender which up to this point has not been the case. The Sanford trophy is clearly undecided and SCV has a great opportunity here. It probably comes down to who controls the sheet.

At the end of the day, we place too much importance on placement derived from the un-quantitative Opinion of 8 judges. The accuracy of a judge to score 150 performers for over 12 minutes, IMO cannot be accurately resolved to tenths of a percent. It’s just an educated opinion and the only method we have. Yes drum corps needs competition and a winner has to be selected. It’s cool to win and drives the organizations and the activity, we just need to keep it all in perspective.

Thanks to ALL OF the Corps for a fantastic 2013. We may not like all of the artistic direction of the programs. We may all ##### and moan about narration, electronics and the judging system but this is their time, not ours. We did our thing and we should let them do theirs. Hell if you don’t like it, don’t worry, it will continue to evolve. And if you still don’t like it, go do something else or start you own Corps.

Yes fan support is very import for the activity however Drum Corps is first about the marching members. No members, no program and then no fans. I am certain that even with narration, electronics and blab la bla, every member of every Corps had a life changing experience and one that will shape who they are and who they become. For me, This is what Drum Corps is about.

• Like 3

SCV was dirty last night. They really can improve, especially guard wise. As for Cadets, I don't think they can improve their score much more. They simply cannot dress those towers. They've gotten it to pretty good at points but it's still verging on horrible at others. It showed up in one of of GE Visual's performance score last night, but I don't understand why it doesn't show as much in especially the visual proficiency performance category. Their brass is great but those towers are designed to draw the eye and if they were judged on how they moved and ended up in form along with the rest of the corps, I think their score might drop a few tenths.

SCV was dirty last night.

I loved SCV show performance last night. If that was dirty, I hope they get down right filthy for next season.

I loved SCV show performance last night. If that was dirty, I hope they get down right filthy for next season.

It was dirty for what they've been performing. They have a huge shot at passing Cadets with how much passion they are bringing if they just perform it at the cleanliness level they have been.

How is a Crown title "remote?" They've beaten BD several times. I hope it doesn't happen, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if CC eeked out a win finals night.

I think its remote for two reasons

1) Percusion Delta

2) BD's consistantcy and ability to close

And its just my Opinioun.

• Like 1

yes, there is still a shot that Crown can throw together a squeaker of a victory come Saturday night, but I sadly don't see that happening.

Other than Phantom's miraculous finals push in 2008 I just don't see where Crown can make such a sizeable jump in the captions scores (see percusssion) for Crown to make up the difference.

Unless of course the Devils trip up a bit, but it's very rare to see them not execute when in the driver's seat.

• Like 1

It sure seems to me that there is quite a bit more suspense at the tops this year than others. If you take the past 10 seasons.... there was a clear favorite going into finals on nearly all of them. The only ones I would say that were significantly in doubt were 2007 (because Cadets had recently beaten BD a few times) and 2008 (because PR had such momentum). Even in 2011, Cadets were clearly separating themselves from the pack those last few nights. I would say Crown has a better chance in winning than Regiment did in 2008 (based on the entire season) and about an equal chance with Cadets in 2007 (who only lost Semi's by 0.05).... of course we'll see what happens tonight.

C'mon people,BD won by ONLY .15 last night. That is far from an unbeatable margin.

• Like 3

It sure seems to me that there is quite a bit more suspense at the tops this year than others. If you take the past 10 seasons.... there was a clear favorite going into finals on nearly all of them. The only ones I would say that were significantly in doubt were 2007 (because Cadets had recently beaten BD a few times) and 2008 (because PR had such momentum). Even in 2011, Cadets were clearly separating themselves from the pack those last few nights. I would say Crown has a better chance in winning than Regiment did in 2008 (based on the entire season) and about an equal chance with Cadets in 2007 (who only lost Semi's by 0.05).... of course we'll see what happens tonight.

Just to be clear, my perspective was not in relation to years gone by