Someone FINALLY got the brass spread right!

I think that the way BD uses their synth might have something to do with the spread last night. I didn't watch last night, I haven't seen/heard what they put out there, but both at Allentown and Big Loud and Live, I was really put out with the way they pumped in synth over the low brass at chord points. And that synth was really loud in Allentown. Obviously BD has a great line and so does Crown but I can't help but wonder if the judge last night was as put off with the synth as I had been.

• Like 1

Rite Spring is not a symphony; it's a ballet score.

It has been performed quite often as an orchestral symphony without the ballet alongside. It was originally composed as a ballet, yes. It can be done quite well without the ballet though.

I completely agree. I just remember someone saying BD was going to have light-up poles and the Crown ending doesn't seem very climatic.

I think if they would have made a change like that, it would have been a couple of weeks ago. Crown might do something small for the ending, but I don't see them risking the title by changing things up for the last night.

I honestly don't think atonal music is that hard to play. And I much prefer their earlier atonal work, even from 2011, which was recent. Their 2011 show was great!

Rite is not "atonal." It is a juxtaposition of both Diatonic and Non-Diatonic elements. If you do a harmonic analysis you will see that there are well defined tonal centers to each movement. Pierre Boulez once described The Rite as a piece in which a "vertical chromaticism" stood opposed to a "horizontal diatonicism." By this he meant that while the vertical alignment is often chromatic, the individual parts are in themselves often simple and diatonic.

• Like 1

BD is definitely NOT playing atonal music. The extensions in the chords they are playing are very difficult.

That said, I know the detail work the Harloff guys are doing to apply just intonation to every chord in Crown's show as well as to identify through a pitch chart the tendency of every kid on every note of their instrument. Very time consuming and results in the amazing clarity of intonation and blend that they have.

THAT said, Cadets are most definitely in the same league. BD has a little too much "fuzz" in the ensemble sound.

Does anyone thing it is possible either Crown or BD will be premiering some changes tonight?

I doubt it, doesn't seem to be in either of their styles to throw in some last-minute gimmick. Maybe some last minute choreography tweaks, but nothing major or probably even noticeable unless you've been watching it all season.

It has been performed quite often as an orchestral symphony without the ballet alongside. It was originally composed as a ballet, yes. It can be done quite well without the ballet though.

If we're being picky, being played by an orchestra isn't what makes something a "symphony", the composer has to explicitly name it as one. Tone poems, suites, etc are some other genres performed by symphony orchestras that aren't, properly speaking, actually "symphonies".

If we're being picky, being played by an orchestra isn't what makes something a "symphony", the composer has to explicitly name it as one. Tone poems, suites, etc are some other genres performed by symphony orchestras that aren't, properly speaking, actually "symphonies".

True, but at this point we're just getting pedantic. Since I assume everyone is just waiting for the show to start up