2013 Drum Corps International World Class Finals

Cadets:

CameraZOOM-20130810215654938.jpg

Next on the field are the Blue Devils from Concord, California. Their 2013 program is entitled "The re:Rite of Spring" and consists of:

Rite of Spring

The Rewrite of Spring

Rite of Spring

I have to admit, I HATED this show when I first saw it. Some of you may even remember my Facebook rant (it's still on my profile). I've come around and find myself getting into the jazz interpretations of Rite of Spring and plan on listening to the source music the first chance I get.

BD gets crowd reaction with this show, as well.

One thing I do have a quibble with: When moving the poles, the horn members who are on pole duty aren't always in the form, but you can tell that they're supposed to be.

Maybe Hopkins should burn them, or leave them in the lot in LOS. I wouldn't put it past him.

This is finals. Do you people not realize how lame you sound with the constant bashing. However low you "think" Hopkins is...each of you with your continued childish bashing put yourselves on a level much lower than you "think"he is. I learned a lot about DCI and Drum Coros from DCP, but the constant bickering, and put downs to make yourselves so high and mighty is ridiculous.

Neg away. It seems to make you happy. Just so sad you can't enjoy a wonderful activity for what it is.

• Like 3

Drum solo, very intense, and the horn book is insane at this point in the show.

Another thing I noticed: the chord structure BD uses screams "JAZZ" at me, and that's not something I can say about any other corps on the field tonight.

Very bluesy flugel horn solo. Are all of the soloists playing into microphones during this show? I'm not complaining, just checking if my memory serves me correctly.

The drum solo is a dichotomy, with the slow melody from the pit and the intense, frenetic playing from the line.

Somebody asked on the DCI live blog earlier tonight if they could get rid of the Colts helmet at the center of the field. They'll be happy to know that the bases of the poles gathered in the center cover up a lot of the helmut. :D

As always, watching the Blue Devils march is like watching them glide on air. Todd Ryan is still working his magic with this corps.

People are standing at the end, but, as expected, it's slow and after the show is over. This is not a show designed to bring the crowd out of its seats.

The crowd gave more ovation to Crown entering the stadium than Blue Devils got their entire show.

I also hear "Let's go Crown!" coming from the stands.