Would a Christian drum corps be accepted?

Try telling that to professionals. They'll laugh in your face.

Every week at church for ongoing years, one of the biggest if the not the biggest in the area, everyone at the church I attend plays for free, teaches for free. Service is what Christians do. Now, a summer on the road - different story - have to pay expenses. The message and the ministry are the purpose, not the paycheck. Music always pays well anyway, right. I mean.....should I become a doctor, lawyer or a teacher to bank some cash?. It starts with the purpose. The person laughing isn't qualified. Also, as a musician - how much "free" did you do? As a matter fact, I'll go beyond that - you apparently PAID to play for Suncoast, BD and Buccaneers. I rest my case.

A lot of ministry are volunteer. Not saying the staff would volunteer, but, it's not about money for Christians....it's about serving. Paying expenses....absolutely. Having to cut a huge check is already the kind of staff member whose heart is in the wrong place. It's like missionary work. Tons of christians in music education.

I will agree with you if you are talking about the once in a while gig at church volunteer for Lord type situation or on a once in a while mission trip; however, and sorry to burst your bubble here, but even for a Christian if you are utilizing your education and talents as a working musician as your career it certainly is about money. Try telling Vinnie Colaiuta, or Phil Driscoll for that matter, that they should not play 'for the money' and see what happens.

• Like 2

Every week at church for ongoing years, one of the biggest if the not the biggest in the area, everyone at the church I attend plays for free, teaches for free. Service is what Christians do. Now, a summer on the road - different story - have to pay expenses. The message and the ministry are the purpose, not the paycheck. Music always pays well anyway, right. I mean.....should I become a doctor, lawyer or a teacher to bank some cash?. It starts with the purpose. The person laughing isn't qualified. Also, as a musician - how much "free" did you do? As a matter fact, I'll go beyond that - you apparently PAID to play for Suncoast, BD and Buccaneers. I rest my case.

I taught in DCI for a lot of years. Never, ever for free.

I will agree with you if you are talking about the once in a while gig at church volunteer for Lord type situation or on a once in a while mission trip; however, and sorry to burst your bubble here, but even for a Christian if you are utilizing your education and talents as a working musician as your career it certainly is about money. Try telling Vinnie Colaiuta, or Phil Driscoll for that matter, that they should not play 'for the money' and see what happens.

In the spirit of the thread, "Amen, Stu."

I am making a big assumption here but I presume that you do not have a mortgage, utilities, food, insurance, vehicle, fuel, kids college fund, and are currently a working Christian musician as a career choice. Because that 'is' about the money.

Try telling that to professionals. They'll laugh in your face.

At my church the professional TV production director does not laugh in our face, he volunteers and produces our in house and TV broadcasts.

At my church several professional educators do not laugh in our face, they volunteer to put together youth teaching curriculum and teach hundreds of kids per week.

At my church several professional musicians do not laugh in our face, they volunteer to perform at 4 service per week plus two evenings of rehearsal.

At my church I, a professional owner of an IT services company, do not laugh in their face, instead I volunteer my time to run a computer network and phone system with a hundred or so computers spread out at 4 locations.

I believe many would be shocked at the number, quality and enthusiasm of volunteers that a Christian based group would be able to garner.

-kg

I believe many would be shocked at the number, quality and enthusiasm of volunteers that a Christian based group would be able to garner.

-kg

My point wasn't about weekly church-goers. It was about administration, design and teaching staff willing to spend their entire summer on the road with the corps. You will not find many people that have the talent and experience to make that drum corps competitively successful, let alone a "top tier staff" without spending a truck load of money. Sure, they will be able to find some inexperienced folks willing to do it for free, but few with any real experience or ability. It will be a classic case of "you get what you pay for".

Also, there's a HUGE difference between a church-funded corps and a church-run corps. The former MIGHT have a chance, but the latter wouldn't.

Edited by Kamarag

Anyway, as far as obscure and high-minded things go, DaDa is something that pretty much every high school graduate should be aware of.

Ok... but lets look at some other things, perhaps more pressing that too many young people don't know :

37% of 18-24 year olders in the US can't find Iraq on a World Map.

50% of 18-24 years olders can't find the State of New York on a US Map.

33% of all US High School Seniors do not know that the Bill of Rights guarantees them Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Religion.

42% of all US High School Seniors can not name the current Vice President of the United States of America.

( source, National Geographic Society, 2011 )

While students should know about BD's Dada, it seems we've got lots more to do in educating our children for the future besides they're knowing about Dada.

Edited by BRASSO

At my church the professional TV production director does not laugh in our face, he volunteers and produces our in house and TV broadcasts.

At my church several professional educators do not laugh in our face, they volunteer to put together youth teaching curriculum and teach hundreds of kids per week.

At my church several professional musicians do not laugh in our face, they volunteer to perform at 4 service per week plus two evenings of rehearsal.

At my church I, a professional owner of an IT services company, do not laugh in their face, instead I volunteer my time to run a computer network and phone system with a hundred or so computers spread out at 4 locations.

-kg

Amen.