What is this called

So if we're logically continuing this thread of "get rid of the tuba" can't we then just get rid of all the brass and percussion, just have one incredibly talented dude playing a synth up front, and 149 other people dancing around the field? That would be awesome, right? Anyone? Am I alone here? <sarcasm>

One of my fav topics. A good ensemble means that all voices are heard...including synth. If the synth covers anything (usually tubas) then that ensemble should be penalized accordingly.

If the synth is an octave lower than tubas, it's fine...very good use of synth, esp since most arrangers don't write in the lowest octave of the tuba, and most instructional staffs don't know how to teach it nor discern it anyway. But if the synth merely doubles the tubas at pitch, it's more likely to cover them, and thus not musical...let alone the complete waste of time and money.

I'm telling you, the first hornline to come out with ZERO tubas will set a trend. It will probably be Blue Devils (should be), and NO ONE WILL NOTICE OR CARE. Then (as everyone does), others will follow. It's cheaper. It's hard to find quality tuba payers. Add more of everything else. Imagine a hornline with 32 trumpets, 24 mellos and 24 Baris. Doesn't that sound perfect for another BD experiment? It would work with the right show. Others would follow.

I'm being dead serious (for those who know me, and might think I'm being flip.)

No tubas? You've officially made me sad.

The trend I've seen is larger contra lines. A trend I'd like to see is tuba solos, since the tuba has such incredible range terrific tone. But I know how hard it is to find a tuba player capable of a strong solo.

• Like 1

I know there would be a lot of very upset high school and college tubists if that ever happened. Are there any instruments or families that have actually been removed from DCI over time (not counting G bugles to Bb brass and that whole deal)? I feel like it's just been a process of continual adding. Only example I can think of is cymbal lines, and they're not gone, just uncommon.

Tromboniums...

Marching French horns...

Marching Alto horns...

Most do NOT have marching flugel sections either.

So, YES there have been quite a few removals...