Dear Tom Blair

That's one of the reasons I didn't purchase the DVDs at the start of the season.

The other being that the shows on the DVDs the past few years have not been just the finals performance, but an edited conglomeration of the three nights.

The most notable example was 2011's Juliet which did not have her "kill herself" in the supposed finals performance on the DVD.

DCI claims they are trying to put together the best product for the fans ...

That's one of the reasons I didn't purchase the DVDs at the start of the season.

The other being that the shows on the DVDs the past few years have not been just the finals performance, but an edited conglomeration of the three nights.

The most notable example was 2011's Juliet which did not have her "kill herself" in the supposed finals performance on the DVD.

DCI claims they are trying to put together the best product for the fans ...

The way I remember the Juliet thing playing out was that Phantom's staff had never made the decision to have her do that—she, the performer, went "off script" on finals night to do that. I think there was an article or a Field Pass or something about it, and Tom Blair and the DVD/Blu-Ray crew asked Phantom's staff, and they (Phantom staff) decided to go with the "correct" version for the DVD.

EDIT: Yup. Here's a quote, apparently from this Field Pass that featured Tom Blair.

"Well, what happened there - that was, as it turns out, a decision made by the performer on the night of Finals. Nobody knew this was coming. We had positioned our handheld camera for this great shot of her suspending the sword over her chest with the audience in the background. So when she made her own adaptation that night, what she did was she slid the sword down her right side and held it against her body - well the camera's on that side. It looks like she's holding a sword by her elbow. So the first thing - I mean we looked at every camera angle - and then I got on the phone with Rick Valenzuela. He got together with Dan Farrel, they talked about it, and they said, 'You know what? That's not what we were looking for. We don't have a good angle of it. We would like you to change it and use Friday night's performance.' So that was a request by the corps."

Edited by CrownStarr

The way I remember the Juliet thing playing out was that Phantom's staff had never made the decision to have her do that—she, the performer, went "off script" on finals night to do that. I think there was an article or a Field Pass or something about it, and Tom Blair and the DVD/Blu-Ray crew asked Phantom's staff, and they decided to go with the "correct" version.

Ooooh I'm sure that went over very well...

This might explain why I diskike the electronics... been listening to Fan Network and not going to enough shows, LOL.

But garfield, aren't you a Fan Network season subscriber who's preordered Blu-Rays... so can't you check the finals mix now? Or are you waiting before ordering the Blu-Rays to see what gets cut from the disks due to licensing issues à la Jeff Ream... fool him once...

My subscription comes with my Friends membership, and I usually upgrade to disc but waited to see what, if anything, gets chopped due to licensing. I'll likely watch them with pumpkin pie...