Dear Tom Blair

Tom,

I can't wait to get my shiny, new BluRays so I can memorialize all the fun shows that I saw this summer! And I'm REALLY glad we can count on you experienced drum corps guys to create us an amazing product.

Suggestion: I just finished watching the semi's performance of Crown's show, and the audio mix is WAY off from what it sounded like live. I was in Sec 240 where, many claim (myself included), that the sound is the best it can be in the Oil Can, and the mix on the FanNetwork has WAY too much pit, voice, synth, and bass drum volume. The corps sounds VERY small behind the sidelines mix.

Please, PLEASE, turn down your speaker mics and turn up the field mic levels significantly. I LOVE the sidelines - they add tons to the production - and I don't want to lose them, but I heard Crown play all three nights in the Can and at no time was the pit/field mix tilted so much in favor of the pit.

Because you are the wizard I'm trusting that you already know this about the FN semi's production but, just in case, I hope you'll take my advice and adjust the balance.

Also, please don't make me squint to hear those wonderful horns on the discs!

Thanks for all you do for us demanding fans.

G

Edited by garfield
  • Like 5

1376527492[/url]' post='3312402']

Tom,

I can't wait to get my shiny, new BluRays so I can memorialize all the fun shows that I saw this summer! And I'm REALLY glad we can count on you experienced drum corps guys to create us an amazing product.

Suggestion: I just finished watching the semi's performance of Crown's show, and the audio mix is WAY off from what it sounded like live. I was in Sec 240 where, many claim (myself included), that the sound is the best it can be in the Oil Can, and the mix on the FanNetwork has WAY too much pit, voice, synth, and bass drum volume. The corps sounds VERY small behind the sidelines mix.

Please, PLEASE, turn down your speaker mics and turn up the field mic levels significantly. I LOVE the sidelines - they add tons to the production - and I don't want to lose them, but I heard Crown play all three nights in the Can and at no time was the pit/field mix tilted so much in favor of the pit.

Because you are the wizard I'm trusting that you already know this about the FN semi's production but, just in case, I hope you'll take my advice and adjust the balance.

Thanks for all you do for us demanding fans.

G

I do audio for a living. I have recorded marching ensembles for 20 years. Its a simple problem of trying to take something very easy to replicate.....audience perspective.......and make it difficult by creating a recording product. Simple in perspective.

• Like 1

I just purchased this year's Cadets Prelim mp3 from the Fan Network and the sound quality is very quiet as compared to their 2011 mp3, for example. Hopefully you'll get more sound on your discs.

• Like 1

I just purchased this year's Cadets Prelim mp3 from the Fan Network and the sound quality is very quiet as compared to their 2011 mp3, for example. Hopefully you'll get more sound on your discs.

It's not the sound quality really, it's the sound mixing. It was obvious coming in the recording mixer live during the show only had a very loose knowledge of the show. And since the vocals are tied in with the pit amplification, when there are the narrations and the counting, the pit is overbalancing the brass. Even when the mix is working the way it should, it still seems as if the live mic portion of the recording is set a little lower. Frankly, I considered complaining about the recording with the mixing problems for the price it is. But I knew what I was getting into with a prelims audio so I let it go.

EDIT: Sorry, just realized you said the Cadet's mp3 not Crown's to which this reply was directed. My apologies.

Edited by ShainaBassoon

It's not the sound quality really, it's the sound mixing. It was obvious coming in the recording mixer live during the show only had a very loose knowledge of the show. And since the vocals are tied in with the pit amplification, when there are the narrations and the counting, the pit is overbalancing the brass. Even when the mix is working the way it should, it still seems as if the live mic portion of the recording is set a little lower. Frankly, I considered complaining about the recording with the mixing problems for the price it is. But I knew what I was getting into with a prelims audio so I let it go.

EDIT: Sorry, just realized you said the Cadet's mp3 not Crown's to which this reply was directed. My apologies.

Haha, that's ok...good explanation, though smile.gif

Are you talking about the Semis videos on Fannetwork?

I think those are different than usual, the quality seems to be really subpar. Most of the audio doesn't even seem to be in stereo and the resolution is terrible.

I was talking about the APD from FN. They only have the World Prelims available for download.

Let us know in advance how much got chopped due to licensing issues before we decide to pay

• Like 2

I do audio for a living. I have recorded marching ensembles for 20 years. Its a simple problem of trying to take something very easy to replicate.....audience perspective.......and make it difficult by creating a recording product. Simple in perspective.

Why would you want to "replicate audience perspective"?

I look forward to recordings so that I can hear the details I missed due to screaming fans, crying babies, talking neighbors and mid-show ovations.