SCV and Pacific Crest - L.A. Philharmonic this weekend

If you look close you can see they even had a small flag ensemble on the stage with the orchestra. Other silks were staged in the audience aisles. Epic ending to a beautiful night.

• Like 2

Wow!!! Thank you so much! I've been to the Bowl in the past, for this very show......but, I forgot how spectacular it was! And, of course..... I didn't get to see SCV and PC as an added bonus. I am just heartsick to have missed the opportunity. (checked online last night for tickets, but no luck :huh: ). So cool to see the guard/flag work on the stage! :thumbup:

Wow!!! Thank you so much! I've been to the Bowl in the past, for this very show......but, I forgot how spectacular it was! And, of course..... I didn't get to see SCV and PC as an added bonus. I am just heartsick to have missed the opportunity. (checked online last night for tickets, but no luck huh.gif ). So cool to see the guard/flag work on the stage! thumbup.gif

They are running it again tonite (Saturday). There are plenty of tickets available, as of 1pm on sat. 8/17. Start at $34.50 I just got them at the box office on Friday night.

Go!

They are running it again tonite (Saturday). There are plenty of tickets available, as of 1pm on sat. 8/17. Start at $34.50 I just got them at the box office on Friday night.

Go!

Thanks! I don't know why I couldn't get them last night online. The LA Phil website said there were no tix available online. Hmmmm. Well, have a wonderful time!! :bigsmile:

Can't wait. Less then 5 hours to show time.
  • Like 3

VERY cool; I always love to hear how our niche little activity "sneaks" into the mainstream (and few things are more mainstream than Hollywood Bowl)! :thumbup:

Unfortunately I've had a crazy busy week teaching band camp, and didn't see this post until Saturday evening. Not only is it always a blast to the Tchaikovsky by LA Phil at the Bowl, but it would've been a great treat to see two outstanding DCI horn lines as well.

Thanks to those who posted videos for us to enjoy!

• Like 1

The venue was the most laid back I have ever seen. People were bringing in picnic baskets filled with great food, beer, bottles of wine. No problem. You could buy food there, but $14 for small chicken salad, $9 for a hamburger and $9 for a beer were a little steep.

I LOVE seeing concerts at the Hollywood Bowl! I live in San Diego and don't make the trek up to the Bowl as often as I'd like to, but everything I go I'm reminded that it is by far one of the coolest, most laid back venue for world class classical music in the country (and as to not sell it short, the Hollywood Bowl also hosts a myriad of off the hook jazz concerts, plus pop music concerts as well). Every other year I go up and see John Williams. I bring my own wine, but the times I've gotten food it has been very good: last time I bought food at the Bowl I bought some sort of salmon dish.

There is such a rich history of the Hollywood Bowl, with concerts from The Beatles, Monty Python, and many many other iconic acts: it really is a place everyone should try to experience if at all possible.

The only downside IMO is the horrendous traffic after concerts. When my family and I attend concerts we usually stay in a hotel a few blocks away to avoid the mess. But really, it's L.A. so horrible traffic goes with the territory! I guess the only other critique is that during the back quarter of the concerts at the Hollywood Bowl it's not uncommon to hear empty wine bottles roll down stairs. That type of thing, though, is one of the characteristics of the venue I guess, and a factor of (testament to?) one of the most high profile "pops" concert venues in the country!

Funny note for those uninitiated with the laid back/fun nature of Hollywood Bowl concerts:

when John Williams conducts, he always performs the Imperial March as an encore (usually the last one, if I remember correctly). When the LA Phil starts the familiar introductory strain literally hundreds (if not thousands) of audience members light up their lightsabers and swing them in the air ala lighter-waving fans at old school rock concerts. One year, the timpanist also brought out his own saber and waved it around. Heck, in the Hollywood Bowl gift shops during the John Williams concerts they actually sell lightsabers to encourage/embrace the practice!

Thanks for the thoughts on the concert (which I sort cut only in the interest of brevity & directness). Just thinking about how much I love attending concerts at the Bowl makes me not only nostalgic for the venue, but make me REALLY wish I could've gone to see the corps!

To add photos to a post, can they be uploaded to the drum corps planet site or must they be located on another site and linked to from within the post?

To add photos to a post, can they be uploaded to the drum corps planet site or must they be located on another site and linked to from within the post?

They have to be uploaded to a host like Photobucket or Flickr. The easiest to use right now for me is imgur but I just use that to upload random photos I want to link up and don't use it for personal pictures.

After you upload your photo, when you reply or create a new thread, in the formatting row, where Bold, Italic, Underline is, to the right of it you will see a smiley, a chain, and what looks to be an image. Copy the link of the photo you want to post, click that tiny image on the post editor, past the link, press OK, and submit your post!