Open Class Finals Clip reveals much

just watched Music City drum and bugle corps on YouTube at the DCI championships. I should say open class championships. the show is clean, the kids books sharp, they worked hard, it was pleasant

There's what I said about the corps.

• Like 1

One point worth making is that OC finals in Michigan City might be something worth reconsidering.

Firstly, it's about 3 hours away from the action. I get that there are some housing issues and this distance does make sense... but... it is difficult to expect people to attend something so far away from where the concentration of people are.

There has to be a way to make OC finals work in Indy where people already are. Maybe rotate housing out where some OC corps use the same housing site for the beginning of the week as some WC corps do and move the OC corps to another site after their finals.

Again, tickets need to be free for OC finals... fill the place up and look for a sponsor able to subsidize the cost.

Also, why not figure out how to make the whole week a festival? Not only drum corps but other music and all kinds of things happening downtown in Indy. Why not stuff organized during the whole entire week? DCI might have the capacity to organize all this effectively, but could work with a partner or partners to make this whole thing a bit more of a festival type experience.

• Like 3

it was pleasant but very boring. its not entertaining. Yet, it's no different then what I saw at Allentown from world class corps. I feel as a fan they are not reaching me visually, musically, nor is the activity physically doing anything for me to get my attention, earn my support. it's just not entertaining.

And here's my personal opinion. Nothing wrong with my post. The people NOT buying a ticket, NOT buying a souvenier, NOT on DCP, NOT in the stands, NOT watching on youtube are ALL saying the same thing. You do get that, right?

• Like 2

Also, why not figure out how to make the whole week a festival? Not only drum corps but other music and all kinds of things happening downtown in Indy. Why not stuff organized during the whole entire week? DCI might have the capacity to organize all this effectively, but could work with a partner or partners to make this whole thing a bit more of a festival type experience.

That experiment was tried and tested...DCI Orlando and Disney World.

Any chance someone finally bans this troll?

Ban? Is this North Korea? My posts are legitimate topics, relevant, factual, opinionated, discussion worthy based on the up to 15 pages or more they sometimes go. If you don't like the way I say something than that's an issue for you to resolve. I'm not Mr. Rogers and I don't do custom designed posts to gain approval points. I throw out the issues as a member of the general public, a DIC alumn, music degreed (BME), music educator of MS, HS Band and Drum Corps, recording engineer and business ower of 30 years. If I was none of that, if I see it or hear it once, I qualify for an opinion.

• Like 3

I could probably say the same thing about your groups you teach. Give 'em a break.

I saw Music City in Minneapolis this year and I found them very entertaining. In fact, I liked their musical selections better than some of the "big names". Were they at the same level as those other guys? No, but they entertained me. I went out of my way to find members of that corps and tell them that I enjoyed their show. What you may find entertaining may not be to someone else?

With regards to the empty seating, yes, that is a problem! Marketing of the smaller corps is not enough. The current system focuses heavily on World Class Corps and even then it is directed at the "top 12". The spirit of competition is starting to hurt the program overall.

+

So, because you were entertained and the OP wasn't - he needs to get attacked? I just watched the show. Did you look at the video he referenced? The shot of the stands tells the story (why did they even put that shot in there). Regarding the show, I only watched the whole show because of this thread and I wouldn't say it's boring, but I also wouldn't say I was very entertained either. When I read posts I try to cut through the delivery and focus on the content. Everyone has a style of communication and that is what I see getting attacked with the OP. He's very direct and doesn't window dress and I actually respect that more than someone doing a lot of window dressing and saying nothing relevant. My .02

• Like 2