Open Class Finals Clip reveals much

To the topic at hand, nothing like kicking a corps when they're down. They folded less than a week ago, can they have a moment before people start complaining and saying they were boring at their final performance ever.

• Like 3

They did Open Class Semis and Finals at Bloomington as well, and that stadium was pretty darn empty for OC Finals, which was really apparent in such a large bowl. Even when the winner performed before World Class Finals, the stadium was easily four times as full.

Again, tickets need to be FREE.... and days need to be shorter.

Few people want to spend such long days.

Also, a lot of people skip nights if there is so much of the same lineup... and a lot of people tend to want to go to the shows in the evening.

So, tweak the format... because it really isn't working as best as it could. Again, makes zero sense for the top 15 groups from the week before to perform all 3 nights. Let the other groups go out performing at night.

The purpose of Prelims is to determine who will make it to Semis... some groups have a zero % chance of not making Semis, why are they performing? It is redundant and causing fewer people to attend the performance because they think they have 2 more nights to catch some groups and the other groups not making it to Semis are on far too early in the day.

One more time...

The purpose of Prelims is to determine which groups make it to Semis, yet the last corps to not make the Semis went on just after lunch for a show that ended at midnight.

Prelims is a 14 hour day... but out of those 14 hours, there is only an hour and a half of performances that would not be happening again the next night.

Start at 3pm and finish at 10 pm. This would be how I would have reworked the Prelims schedule this year:

Blue Saints

Racine Scouts

Les Stentors

Taipei Yuefu

Colt Cadets

Raiders

Legends

Intermission

7th Regiment

Gold

Music City

Spartans

Genesis

Blue Devils B

Vanguard Cadets

Intermission

Pioneer

Cascades

Jersey Surf

The Academy

Mandarins

Oregon Crusaders

Colts

Let's say you're a group like that wouldn't be making the cut to the next day and this is your last performance of the season.... how much better would it be to end your season playing to a full house at 7-8pm, than to an empty place at noon?

Again, 3 nights of the top corps makes no sense, as it just cause no one to go at all.

Make it free, fill the place up, have a unique line up for prelims. Three nights in a row of the same corps is too much for most people, which is why so many opt out. This approach could create a better experience for absolutely everyone involved.

• Like 1

They seem to get a lot of posts, stir up a lot of discussion, controversy, discussion, activity. Even in you. Thanks for participating. You took the time to write and let me know I have impacted your feelings.

So you like to spend your time on DCP as a troll.

Again, tickets need to be FREE.... and days need to be shorter.

snip

I think your idea may have some merit to some, but I doubt your timing plan would make much difference in attendance. Now, your making it free idea would supposdly be good to get HS kids bussed in by the the thousands, but how many band programs are there in central IN, and how many people who live there would come just because its free? (I think DCI's deal this year was $15 for up to a family of four.)

I presume you mean that these corps get no pay for this show, correct? OC finalists get paid during the following year for WC DCI show performances, would that stay the same?

According to your own schedule, the event is close to seven hours long. Will the stands be as full at 8:00 if there are no more WC corps coming up next? I do think having it in the Can will increase attendance over Michigan City because some fans are already there. But many of us go to see the WC corps three times; would anyone (like me) schedule the day off to go see OC finals with the lineup you suggest? I would suggest that more fans will come early to see Surf (and others) if they're coming to the stadium anyway to see the top-12. Wouldn't that give the last of the corps in your line-up a "full" stadium but leave the first of your lineup playing to only a slightly more-full stadium?

I get there by lunch on Thursday and stay to the end. Same for Friday.

You know...I was kind of wondering how come they had over 3000 people working the concessions. :tongue:/>

INT's influence.

Alumniof said nothing wrong. You folks having a fit need to slow down when you're reading or something.

He's blunt. But he's right.

• Like 1

1376845058[/url]' post='3314271']

I was there. By the end of the evening, the stadium (which holds over 3000) looked to me to be about 75% full. I don't know what camera angle was used, but what you think you observed is simply not what really happened.

Stating there were more concession workers than audience...even at the beginning of the show...well, I'd be banned if I told you what I think of that.

Ugggh???What you think you observed really happened???? What an insane statement! Dude.... you doubting the video? Did Tom Blair photoshop 2000 people out to make it look like an empty stadium? Camera angle? Its a panaromic view. You apparently didnt see the video. Start there. By the end of the evening is irrelevant to what the video shows and i doubt that it was 75 percent full based on your inaccuracies already. You do realize that more concession workers was a gross illustration to make a point? You missed that and took it literally?? Every time you haters on the op post like this..you make him more intelligent and valid.

Edited by Freedom
  • Like 1

Ugggh???What you think you observed really happened???? What an insane statement! Dude.... you doubting the video? Did Tom Blair photoshop 2000 people out to make it look like an empty stadium? Camera angle? Its a panaromic view. You apparently didnt see the video. Start there. By the end of the evening is irrelevant to what the video shows and i doubt that it was 75 percent full based on your inaccuracies already. You do realize that more concession workers was a gross illustration to make a point? You missed that and took it literally?? Every time you haters on the op post like this..you make him more intelligent and valid.

You guys are each talking about 2 different shows.

Finals in Michigan City and Prelims in Indy.

The video posted in this thread was from Indy.

Both were pretty #### empty.

I was at the stadium during prelims. Pretty much a ghost town until the last corps of the night.

:blink: How old are you?

• Like 2

1376844837[/url]' post='3314269']

DCI did that last time the World Championships was in Madison, and it was on the same day. Less than 500 people showed up.

There's two things you should know. First, the Open Class directors are the ones who decided their championship would be in Michigan City. I was in that meeting when they decided that. Secondly, the OP was not accurate in saying there were more concession workers than audience. By the end of the evening, the stands were AT LEAST 3/4 full, in a stadium that holds over 3500.

Did you watch the video clip he referenced?