Finals Retreats

Sometimes the more amazing things in those videos is the cheering and booing for other corps. In the 1999 video, the crowd erupts for Madison and Boston. A lot of times, the crowd likes to boo Madison's placement, because they aren't as high as people would like them to be.

The 1980 video is also floating around somewhere as well, quite a bit of people chanting "East, East!" on that one and some booing when Devs won, because people expected 27th to take home their first title.

Sometimes the more amazing things in those videos is the cheering and booing for other corps. In the 1999 video, the crowd erupts for Madison and Boston. A lot of times, the crowd likes to boo Madison's placement, because they aren't as high as people would like them to be.

The 1980 video is also floating around somewhere as well, quite a bit of people chanting "East, East!" on that one and some booing when Devs won, because people expected 27th to take home their first title.

Yea...woulda been nice...but it'll never happen now.. :thumbdown:

All of these should be on the Fan Network or You Tube.....not just a few years!!!

I love re-living some of these moments. Some corps are just as excited to make finals as others are to win or jump a spot. What really strikes me when watching the few clips is that the same top 7 from this season wasn't always top 7. Yes, that is a mention of the current G7 corps.

What you cannot hear on the original video from 99 was me on the other end of the field in our block at retreat standing completely still but uttering the words "HOLY ####!" All the other corps thought it was great. I remember seeing SCV at Toledo for the first time and as they marched past us on the way to warmups, I said...."There goes the 99 DCI Champions!" At that time SCV was whipping everybody, and I don't think BD topped them until Murphreesboro except for some early season shows. 99 SCV was like this year's Crown almost. Dominated early but BD caught up late.

I was really happy to see that tie in 99.

What you cannot hear on the original video from 99 was me on the other end of the field in our block at retreat standing completely still but uttering the words "HOLY ####!" All the other corps thought it was great. I remember seeing SCV at Toledo for the first time and as they marched past us on the way to warmups, I said...."There goes the 99 DCI Champions!" At that time SCV was whipping everybody, and I don't think BD topped them until Murphreesboro except for some early season shows. 99 SCV was like this year's Crown almost. Dominated early but BD caught up late.

I was really happy to see that tie in 99.

The crowd erupted for Madison because the Finals were in Madison, and they erupted for Boston because it was Boston's first time in Finals. There was some grumbling when the Glassmen finished ahead of Madison for 5th, but it was the right call (the GMen had a fantastic show).

I was there in 1999, my first live DCI Championships week. Blue Devils executed everything except percussion much cleaner, but Vanguard had a better designed show and about 1,000 times the energy of anyone else that night. SCV should have crushed everyone in GE by at least a point (it remains to this day the single-best live performance I've ever seen in DCI), but the crowd was nervous going into awards because BD had the lead and CLEAN corps don't drop a lead at DCI Finals. Yes, 99.9% crowd was DEFINITELY booing the tie, not the Blue Devils (who had a rather fan-friendly show that year), but I was just elated that Vanguard had pulled it out (even though, to this day, I think SCV should have won outright).

I think 1999 was the last time Pioneer made Semifinals, so I get to say I saw that, too.

The crowd erupted for Madison because the Finals were in Madison, and they erupted for Boston because it was Boston's first time in Finals. There was some grumbling when the Glassmen finished ahead of Madison for 5th, but it was the right call (the GMen had a fantastic show).

I was there in 1999, my first live DCI Championships week. Blue Devils executed everything except percussion much cleaner, but Vanguard had a better designed show and about 1,000 times the energy of anyone else that night. SCV should have crushed everyone in GE by at least a point (it remains to this day the single-best live performance I've ever seen in DCI), but the crowd was nervous going into awards because BD had the lead and CLEAN corps don't drop a lead at DCI Finals. Yes, 99.9% crowd was DEFINITELY booing the tie, not the Blue Devils (who had a rather fan-friendly show that year), but I was just elated that Vanguard had pulled it out (even though, to this day, I think SCV should have won outright).

I think 1999 was the last time Pioneer made Semifinals, so I get to say I saw that, too.

I remember that night so well too. I think about everyone was excited to see Vanguard pull out the tie, although like you, I agree SCV should have had that one outright. I think one of the loudest things that night was the yelling of SCV SCV SCV after the tie was announced.

And while the crowd may have been disappointed in the tie, I think the announcement in 2000 with the tie between Cavies and Cadets was one of the worst received scores in history. Tons of people were screaming NO MORE TIES, and there were several very rude people screaming it behind us using the F word in between MORE and TIES.

Pioneer did manage to make semi-finals in 2000 placing 16th, before starting to slip out in 2001. Pioneer had some really great shows between 95-2000. I would love to see them at that performance level again.